• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braising seminar discussion

When will you be accepting questions and comments from those who only stand and lurk?

For example, did the immersed parts of partially immersed samples differ in texture and/or taste from the fully immersed samples? From the interior of the unimmersed parts of the same samples (to discount for greater exterior caramelization)? Was the crappiness of FG's foil-tray samples due to a higher ratio of liquid to total vessel volume? Are you going to try Tom Valenti's famous (and my favorite) braising technique, wherein the meat is uncovered partway through cooking and rotated every so often?

Just asking... wait, no. Didn't I see slkinsey already participating in one thread, though not himself a braiser? (He was correct, as I recall, in suggesting that differences among cooking vessels should be more apparent on the stovetop than in the oven.)

So how about it?

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

As a side note, there are two tricks to improve considerably the seal of a lid :

1) ancient method: make a dough of flour and water and apply it it between lid and vessel. You have to know your oven and your vessel pretty well, because lifting the lid is an almost definitve act. Only recommended for advanced French grandmas.

2) modern method: place a once or twice fold alufoil between lid and vessel. Lifting is easy, and the seal is almost as perfect. Recommended for all others.

Sorry for being unable to participate anymore, but I caught an infection/flu/whatever the first day. Lab#1 was already a major PITA then. Can't stand the smell of braised meat for the moment. Following with great interest, though.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

• 8 months later...
If you have any questions about the logistics of the braising seminar, please post them here.

The beauty part of braising is to release the juices of the meat, bones, and veggies used. I think a plain water alternative should be included as cooking liquid. Maybe it was but there was so much reading I might have missed it. One can always adjust the seasonings after the initial 2 or so hours of braising. but enough about that, i think the set up was glorious and very scientific appealing to the chemist which I was, in me. Very good plan. Fran