• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fromagerie Rumson?

bp1123

I'm trying to make dinner plans for 2/19, couldn't get a reservation at Nicholas & someone suggested Fromagerie as an alternative. Any opinions on this restaurant? Great food is the most important factor, other recommendations in that part of NJ are also welcome.

I go to the Fromagerie several times a year and while I have only been going there for about 5 years (so I can't really tell if it has indeed gone down) I never leave disappointed. If you can, be sure to request a table downstairs though, since I find the upstairs room a little cramped.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

After not having dined at Fromagerie for many years, we decided to give it a try last year. The meal was so disappointing that I cannot recommend it.

I disagree with Menton 1 about Spago's. We've had dinner there a number of times over the period of several years and have yet to have a truly excellent meal. Not bad, really, but certainly not anything close to what you would experience at Nicholas.

While I agree with Rosie about Frog and the Peach, it is at least an hour away from the Middletown/Red Bank/Rumson area, which is where you indicate you wish to dine.

My suggestion would be the Lincroft Inn, located in Lincroft/Middletown. I reported here about two dinners we had there in 2003. We also had an excellent dinner there in 2004.

After not having dined at Fromagerie for many years, we decided to give it a try last year.  The meal was so disappointing that I cannot recommend it.

While I agree with Rosie about Frog and the Peach, it is at least an hour away from the Middletown/Red Bank/Rumson area, which is where you indicate you wish to dine.

My suggestion would be the Lincroft Inn, located in Lincroft/Middletown.  I reported here about two dinners we had there in 2003.  We also had an excellent dinner there in 2004.

Until I read these latest remarks, I would've suggested Fromagerie as a second choice after Nicholas.

If traffic permitted, you could make it to Frog & the Peach in less than an hour from Middletown. We used to live in Leonardo, and it used to take us around 45 minutes to get to F&P. Then again, there may have been fewer cars on the road then... :-)

Speaking of Lincroft Inn, the current chef came from the Frog & the Peach. From what I've read, it looks like the restaurant has come a long way from the days when we lived in that area...

I'm trying to make dinner plans for 2/19, couldn't get a reservation at Nicholas & someone suggested Fromagerie as an alternative.  Any opinions on this restaurant?  Great food is the most important factor, other recommendations in that part of NJ are also welcome.

Although I would always recommend that one tries Fromagerie at least once, I'm not sure that it's a good alternative if you were aiming for Nicholas. They are complete opposites of each other in all aspects.

I prefer the food at Nicholas (which is new American), but the Fromagerie's food is classical French - a completely different style. The decor is also opposite, and in this case I prefer the Fromagerie. It is much more cozy and has a feeling of warmth whereas Nicholas seems more sterile and minimalistic.

But you indicate that food is most important - if you want to stay in that area maybe you should try LeFandy (although it's a BYO). I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the food was very good during my last visit. Otherwise if you're willing to travel a little bit, some good alternatives would be The Stage House, The Bernards Inn or Stage Left if you haven't tried any of those.

Good Luck and enjoy yourself where ever you wind up!

Edited by gourmand2 (log)

Its hard to beat the romantic atmosphere at Whispers in Spring Lake, although I bet they are pretty booked this weekend. I think they are on Opentable.com though, worth a try. I haven't tried the Black Trumpet at the Sandpiper in S.L.yet but it is on our list as I have heard pretty good things from there. We used to go to Le Fandy quite often, but haven't been since Chef Plastiak sold the restaurant.

If you are in the Rumson/Red Bank area, please don't forget Doris and Ed's in the Highlands, less than 15 minutes from Rumson.

Jim Filip and his staff turn out a great meal, fine service and the wine list is one of the best in NJ.

IMHO, of course.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

I've heard that Fromagerie has gone way down is recent years-- not nearly what it used to be...

My recommendation would be Spargo's in Manalapan.  Wonderful food, terrific ambience and service.

I didn't have any inside information, but Karla Cook gave Spargo's quite a good review in today's NY Times!

• 10 months later...

The last time I was there was in September and we had a great meal. I know the menu isn't cutting edge type stuff (you can still get duck a'lorange) but I had an excellent, unhurried (we had the table for nearly 3 hours) meal. Great Steak au Poivre and an excellent chocolate souffle.

Had a wonderful meal on December 16. I had a very nice foie gras appetizer. My wife had nicely presented oysters. I had the duck and she had the cod as our entrees, both excellent and we had a very nice cheese course to finish. It was our first time and we will be returning soon.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned upthread that I recently received a gift certificate to Fromagerie and used it last month. In short, the meal was an overall disappointment. The foie gras appetizer was good not great and the veal special was swimming in butter and that was all I could taste. The cheesecake for dessert, however, was very good. My wife also had three courses and as I sit here a month later cannot recall what she ate, but nothing stood out. At a restaurant at this price point, I expected a little more from the service and was surprised that our waiter was a one-man show, taking care of the water, wine, bread service, delivery of the food, and clearing of the plates. I was left with the balance of the gift certificate and have already given it away with no plans to return.

I mentioned upthread that I recently received a gift certificate to Fromagerie and used it last month.  In short, the meal was an overall disappointment.  The foie gras appetizer was good not great and the veal special was swimming in butter and that was all I could taste.  The cheesecake for dessert, however, was very good.  My wife also had three courses and as I sit here a month later cannot recall what she ate, but nothing stood out.  At a restaurant at this price point, I expected a little more from the service and was surprised that our waiter was a one-man show, taking care of the water, wine, bread service, delivery of the food, and clearing of the plates.  I was left with the balance of the gift certificate and have already given it away with no plans to return.

Wow. Thats too bad. Was the place packed that night. Could it just have been an off evening for them?

We were seated in a dining room had 3 of about 12 tables full. There are apparently other dining areas and I don't know if they were busy. A review of this thread suggests at least some inconsistency, with some very good meals and poor ones. As it was my only visit, I can't say whether it was an off night.