• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A GastroTour of Oahu & Honolulu

VivreManger

During my visit I am planning to rent a car for one day -- probably on a Saturday -- and try to conduct a gastro tour of Honolulu and Oahu, heading for out of the way spots, sampling and collecting unique foods to eat there and - - when legal - - to bring back home.

The farmers market at Kapiolani Community College which apparently is open on Saturdays from about 7:30 AM struck me as a good place to start.

http://www.hfbf.org/FarmersMarket.html

furnishes more details.

The Saturday Farmers' Market at Kapiolani Community College, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Kapiolani Community College, 4303 Diamond Head Road. Catch #3, 22, or 58 on TheBus.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take the fresh produce back to Mainland. But I can sample some of it. What will be in season next month? Whatever has been denatured, I can bring home. Jams and jellies should be more varied and cheaper (??) than what would be available at the ABC octopus.

Any tips out there for distinctive local products?

I should hit at least one supermarket to pick up things like canned Wahoo from Samoa and local items that the Farmer's Market might not carry.

Foodlands seems to be the big local chain. Is there one near Kapiolani CC?

Away from town I have been considering Giovanni's Shrimp Truck and Matsumoto Shave Ice, which I believe is at 66-087 Kamehameha Hwy. 96712 Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712. Are the two anywhere near each other? About how distant is Haleiwa from Honolulu? Is Waialua Bay an exceptional beauty spot?

The last time I was in Hawaii I did drive to the North Shore, mostly along the Eastern coast -- though I missed the Sacred Falls -- and then quickly headed back on H2 to Honolulu a bit after sunset. As a result I did not explore the interior. I believe that Oahu does not have the dramatic mountains and volcanoes of some of the other islands, but are there any accessible mountainous areas with inspiring vistas? For instance does Sacred Falls State Park offer what I am looking for? One area I missed completely last time was the western coast: Makaha, Waianae, Maili, and Nankuli. Do they have anything special to recommend by way of site or cuisine?

Between Haleiwa and Honolulu are there any other sites of gastronomic interest? Are the Kona coffee plantations located in one particular part of the island or are they spread out? Do any of the pineapple or other fruit plantations have on-site stores that carry unusual portable-to-the-Mainland products or is everything there already available in the globalized supermarket.

Do please keep your suggestions coming. Thanks. Also let me know if anyone might be interested in joining me on the trip?

wow, so many questions....I'll try to answer a few for starters....

What will be in season next month?

Many of the tropical fruits here are in season all year round. For instance, pineapples, papayas, bananas you will be able to find anytime. Right now however, rambutan and longan are in season (best found in Chinatown), but Im not sure if they will still be around in March.

I should hit at least one supermarket to pick up things like canned Wahoo from Samoa and local items that the Farmer's Market might not carry. Foodlands seems to be the big local chain. Is there one near Kapiolani CC?

Im not sure if Foodland carrys such things as Samoan products (I have never looked). There are Samon/Tongan/Polynesian stores however, I spotted one on Vineyard Blvd, a little west of Chinatown, but haven't been inside. There are Foodlands all over, the one nearest to KCC is probably in Market City:

http://www.marketcityhawaii.com/tenants.html

Another store to check out is Daiei, they carry alot of specialty imports from Japan. The Kaheka branch is a block Mauka (towards the mountain) from Ala Moana:

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermap...125&level=9#Map

Away from town I have been considering Giovanni's Shrimp Truck and Matsumoto Shave Ice, which I believe is at 66-087 Kamehameha Hwy. 96712 Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712. Are the two anywhere near each other? About how distant is Haleiwa from Honolulu?

Haleiwa is about 2 hours from Honolulu, depending on traffic. If you want to hit Kahuku (for the shrimp trucks) and the North shore all at once (in one day), my suggestion would be (by car) to start out going east, towards Hanauma Bay and Sea life park, and drive all the way around the island, passing through Kahuku and getting some shrimp, then continue to the North Shore. This makes for a really beautiful drive (the East side of Oahu is not to be missed!), and if you start early, you will make it to Kahuku/North Shore around Lunch time, you can get a plate of shrimp, go to the beach, and end up in Haleiwa for some Shave ice in the afternoon when you're hot and craving something cold :biggrin: (and if you want some good burgers/sandwiches, check out Kua Aina in Haleiwa!). Then you can return to Honolulu through Wahiawa, and on the way, stop by Dole Cannery.

Are the Kona coffee plantations located in one particular part of the island or are they spread out? Do any of the pineapple or other fruit plantations have on-site stores that carry unusual portable-to-the-Mainland products or is everything there already available in the globalized supermarket.

Kona coffee plantations are in Kona on the Big Island. Dole cannery is the pineapple plantation and also a tourist stop-shop-spot. You can probably get alot of portable to the mainland products there, but I dont know about the prices.

Foodland does carry Wahoo, look for it near the canned tuna. If you're looking for jams/jellies and stuff to take home, while farmer's market products most likely will be the freshest, Longs in Ala Moana has a vast selection of items worthy of taking home so you can avoid the ABC trap.

At the KCC market you can get fresh honey from Manoa Valley, we just bought the Pele's Gold

which is a blend of kiawe,eucalyptus,Christmas Berry, Koa Haole and other Hawaiian Flora, it

is truly amazing. Also you can get sun evaporated salt from Kona (from waters 3000 feet deep)

in both liquid spray form and a little bag of crystals. There used to be coffee plantations up on

the north shore that had some good coffee but I don't know if they still produce, this was in

Waialua. You should also try the fresh ginger ale and pick up a bottle of their syrup concentrate.

We followed their suggestion and make some dynamite martini's with it.

I've never in 20 years eaten at a shrimp truck, it just looks unappealing to me although the

reviews by others make it sound good. When I go to Haleiwa - which isn't often - I'm with

visiting in-laws and they like to eat at Jameson's which I do enjoy. They have a very good

Portuegese Bean soup and a great mai tai, their calamari is good too, it's the steak type that

is breaded in panko and then fried. I also like El Chollo up there in the Northshore Marketplace

they have excellent fish tacos and great tamales.

Most Long's drugstores carry the wahoo as well, they also carry lots of local type snacks and

foods. Herald the triumphant return of the Won-Ton Chip from Maebo in Hilo! Definately get a

bag or two of those delights! After a tragic fire they are now back in production! a hui ho :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Market City Foodland should have canned Wahoo.

Ted's Bakery is somewhere along the North Shore. Excellent sugar balance.

Notice that you're from eastern Canada. Don't know if you have barbeque back east. In Wahiawa, there are a couple of joints; try Molly's Texas Barbecue.

Also in Wahiawa, Sunnyside Bakery for their signature pie.

During my visit I am planning to rent a car for one day -- probably on a Saturday -- and try to conduct a gastro tour of Honolulu and Oahu, heading for out of the way spots,  sampling and collecting unique foods to eat there and - - when legal - - to bring back home. 

The farmers market at Kapiolani Community College which apparently is open on Saturdays from about 7:30 AM struck me as a good place to start.

http://www.hfbf.org/FarmersMarket.html

furnishes more details. 

The Saturday Farmers' Market at Kapiolani Community College, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Kapiolani Community College, 4303 Diamond Head Road. Catch #3, 22, or 58 on TheBus.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take the fresh produce back to Mainland.  But I can sample some of it.  What will be in season next month?  Whatever has been denatured, I can bring home.  Jams and jellies should be more varied and cheaper (??) than what would be available at the ABC octopus. 

Any tips out there for distinctive local products? 

I should hit at least one supermarket to pick up things like canned Wahoo from Samoa and local items that the Farmer's Market might not carry. 

Foodlands seems to be the big local chain.  Is there one near Kapiolani CC? 

Away from town I have been considering Giovanni's Shrimp Truck and Matsumoto Shave Ice, which I believe is at 66-087 Kamehameha Hwy. 96712 Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712.  Are the two anywhere near each other?  About how distant is Haleiwa from Honolulu?  Is Waialua Bay an exceptional beauty spot? 

The last time I was in Hawaii I did drive to the North Shore, mostly along the Eastern coast -- though I missed the Sacred Falls -- and then quickly headed back on H2 to Honolulu a bit after sunset.  As a result I did not explore the interior.  I believe that Oahu does not have the dramatic mountains and volcanoes of some of the other islands, but are there any accessible mountainous areas with inspiring vistas?  For instance does Sacred Falls State Park offer what I am looking for?  One area I missed completely last time was the western coast:  Makaha, Waianae, Maili, and Nankuli.  Do they have anything special to recommend by way of site or cuisine? 

Between Haleiwa and Honolulu are there any other sites of gastronomic interest?  Are the Kona coffee plantations located in one particular part of the island or are they spread out?  Do any of the pineapple or other fruit plantations have on-site stores that carry unusual portable-to-the-Mainland products or is everything there already available in the globalized supermarket. 

Do please keep your suggestions coming.  Thanks.  Also let me know if anyone might be interested in joining me on the trip?

Notice that you're from eastern Canada. Don't know if you have barbeque back east. In Wahiawa, there are a couple of joints; try Molly's Texas Barbecue.

Actually, although I post sometimes in the Montreal Forum I live in Massachusetts where we have a few respectable BBQ places which I have described, but I am always happy to expand my BBQ horizons. My preference is for slow cooked, well-wood-smoked meat not dependent on sauce for its taste.

PS Sorry I botched the quote initially, but the point is clear. Let us see if this correction works.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

I'm sorry, I should have provided you a reference or link. Molly's has been visited by no less than SK himself and many of the Alohagullet Ohana. See

http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversion/index.php/t40545.html

Actually, although I post sometimes in the Montreal Forum I live in Massachusetts where we have a few respectable BBQ places which I have described, but I am always happy to expand my BBQ horizons. My preference is for slow cooked, well-wood-smoked meat not dependent on sauce for its taste.

PS Sorry I botched the quote initially, but the point is clear. Let us see if this correction works.