• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Erno's Bistro in Frankfurt

winemike

Erno's Bistro ... famous place for who wants to eat well in Frankfurt.

And it did not disappoint ...

Phew ! I have to admit I was worried as I had recommended "Gargantua" to my friends and we were *really* disappointed there. I had not been there in years either. A sad thing that it went downhill .. it's close to the bottom, IMHO. But that's another topic..

Back to the lovely food we had at Erno's Bistro :

Amuse-bouche composed of "bouillon de legumes, terrine de foie gras et volaille and mousse de turbot?, poivron rouge et petits legumes".

Very nice indeed. The terrine of foie gras and poultry melted in the mouth, very delicate flavours.

We then started with "Poireaux en vinaigrette, foie gras et truffes noires du Perigord".

Brilliant. The leek was slighty warm, and had just what it takes of "croquant" (even though I would not have minded it slightly less cooked) to balance the melting foie gras. Everything in the plate was of the highest quality. While there's no wow factor, it was a brilliant start in the classical french registry. :smile:

Along with this dish, we had "Chablis 1er cru, Montee de Tonnerre 1996 - Raveneau". Very good wine but served slightly too cold at the beginning and we thought it was off balance because of the very high acidity (which goes with the vintage). But it turned out to be a grand wine. Very focused, mineral, honey, citrus. Very elegant indeed...

It also went with the "Bouillabaisse, safrannee et anisee".

Again, highest quality products. All cooked to perfection. I loved the soup and thought it had just what it needed of anis. Though, a friend of mine thought the anis was overwhelming .... Well, I still enjoyed it :raz:

The wine did work very well with this dish and it had opened up (it was decanted previously, of course), so it hit "hard" :biggrin:

Then, we moved to the main dish, "Filet de veau, endives caramelisees, jus a l'Arabica"

Veal cooked to perfection. very nice dish with every element calling for another ...

We had a "Hermitage - La Chapelle - 1989 - Jaboulet" to go with it. Well ... a lot of discussion about this wine. I thought it was rather closed. Though not completely closed, strong aromas of ripe black cherries, spices but still oak and clearly not at its peak right now. I would not open a bottle again for at least 5 years.... A friend thought it was a fantastic wine. I may agree with him in few years :laugh:

Aynway, beautiful cheese plate with all the French cheeses you can dream about.

A glass of Gewurztraminer VT 2000 from Frederic Mochel to complement them.

Absolutely magnificent with the munster. But that's a classic anyway :wink:

So, finally dessert : "tarte banane-vanille, glace au rhum et raisins, bananes caramelisees et jus exotique" and a glass of "Jurancon - Symphonie de Novembre - Cahaupe -- vintage?".

A great wine more than a great dessert. Though I enjoyed the ice cream, I was less convinced by the vanilla/banana cake. But at that stage, I was not going to be very critical anyway because the rest of the meal was of a very high standard.

So, my global impression was that it was very good. And I was happy about it after some disappointing experiences in places I used to like a few years back...

The cuisine is very classical french. There are no "experiences", no exotic stuff that I would not have expected (or not seen before). But I will clearly go back though I have to visit a few other places in Frankfurt first....

Cheers,

Mike

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

• 1 year later...

I'm going to have to stop over in Frankfurt a few times in the next year or so. How much did this meal cost? Do you know other good restaurants there, too? Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a rave review...

...and what a surprise, because Iam from frankfurt and find "Erno's Bistro" to be the least of the local 1-michelin-star-restaurants: It is very, very expensive (with close to 40 euros per main course it is as pricy as the very best german 3*-places!!) and servers just "good" french bistro fare, IMHO.

We have been there just twice with a group of 5 and all agreed that we wouldn't go again...Some dishes where of downright offensive quality...(the less than stellar review in the 2006 millau is more than justified).

I much prefer the "Tigerpalast", "Villa Merton" and the unbeatable 2* "Amador" in Langen.

For a litte less upscale places I would reccomend the "Cyrano", even though the cooking is admittedly inconsistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Erno's bistro is no bargain. It was not a good QPR. But it was good nevertheless.

I have been back since. And been less impressed. They may well have been exceptionnally great the first night I visited because the two times I have been since, I left kinda wondering. The price is just too high... the wine list is stupidly expensive and there were misses... I have not been in one year now. And don't intend to return soon.

I have been touring the poor Frankfurt scene and well... Villa Merton served me the worst fish ever a few years back. Arrogant service. I will never return...

Cyrano... well... not bad... but too much spices, tricks, trys which were not hits. I want to be served food which emphasise a product, not some creations were lamb tastes like spice and herbs... But all in all, the food was well above (Frankfurt) average.

I have been to Osteria Enoteca too. Good... not brilliant by any means but very good.

There are a few left on the list like Silk, or Tigerpalast. But frankly, Frankfurt's high end restaurant scene is not interesting enough. I almost never spend my weekends there and when in Frankfurt, I prefer local fare... or dine at home with friends so that the wine does not cost me 5 times what it should...

Francis Blanche

Erno's bistro is no bargain. It was not a good QPR. But it was good nevertheless.

I have been back since. And been less impressed. They may well have been exceptionnally great the first night I visited because the two times I have been since, I left kinda wondering. The price is just too high... the wine list is stupidly expensive and there were misses... I have not been in one year now. And don't intend to return soon.

I have been touring the poor Frankfurt scene and well... Villa Merton served me the worst fish ever a few years back. Arrogant service. I will never return...

Cyrano... well... not bad... but too much spices, tricks, trys which were not hits. I want to be served food which emphasise a product, not some creations were lamb tastes like spice and herbs... But all in all, the food was well above (Frankfurt) average.

I have been to Osteria Enoteca too. Good... not brilliant by any means but very good.

There are a few left on the list like Silk, or Tigerpalast. But frankly, Frankfurt's high end restaurant scene is not interesting enough. I almost never spend my weekends there and when in Frankfurt, I prefer local fare... or dine at home with friends so that the wine does not cost me 5 times what it should...

I'm interesetd in the local fare, not the international restaurants. Do you know any good local restaurants? Thanks.

Hmmm, the "Feuerrädchen" in the Textorstrasse used to be very good - but not anymore since the owners changed af few weeks back...

So I would reccomend the "Kanonensteppel", also in Textorstrasse: Good local food like "green sauce" (a delicous *cold*, thick sauce, made of seven different fresh herbs, yoghurt and sour cream; served with potatoes and hardboiled eggs or warm slices of boiled beef), "Handkäs" or "Schneegestöber" (mashed camembert cheese with some spices and onions mixed in).

Hmmm, the "Feuerrädchen" in the Textorstrasse used to be very good - but not anymore since the owners changed af few weeks back...

So I would reccomend the "Kanonensteppel", also in Textorstrasse: Good local food like "green sauce" (a delicous *cold*, thick sauce, made of seven different fresh herbs, yoghurt and sour cream; served with potatoes and hardboiled eggs or warm slices of boiled beef), "Handkäs" or "Schneegestöber" (mashed camembert cheese with some spices and onions mixed in).

Thanks!

Very good recommendations indeed.

I did not know "Feuerrädchen" changed owner a few weeks back. I have beeen some months ago and did like it indeed...

Dorine, some famous place (if touristy) but still serves alright food would be Adolf Wagner on Schweizer Strasse. Or "Zum Gemahlten Haus", just next to it.

As kai-m points out, you have to try Frankfurt's "Grüne Soße" with some Ebbelwoi (or Apfelwein...), a local cidre that one must have had.

Francis Blanche