• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch flavored marmalades

eatrustic

Every year at this time when I make up my different marmalades I do up a batch of Seville with a bit of scotch added. I remember reading somewhere that this is a classic technique.

I've been using my favorite sipping scotch: Bowmore 17, because I like the balance of the peat and the sweet. It seems to complement the bitter orange quite nicely.

Any suggestions as to which other drams would be interesting to try?

My God, using single malt scotch for anything other than its intended purpose should be grounds for excommunication.

I agree but to each his own. I would think that something like Macallans or Glenmorangie especially in the wood finished varieties would work. I wouldn't use anything over 12 years old though especially with the Euro trashing prices.

:cool:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should clarify as well that although it does sound blasphemous to be adding a single malt to something like marmalade there is very litttle needed to give a distinct flavor (less than a teaspoon per jar) and the varietal characteristic does show through.

(Normally I can barely allow myself to add even a few drops of water to my collection of scotches, bourbons and tequilas so I definitely approached this from a historical perspective and I think it is worth the sacrifice!)