• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Valentine's Day Ideas

Vikas Khanna

I was lucky to find a great bakery online from NJ. I ordered all my Valentie's gifts from there too. Chef Hari Nayak is a very dynamic and young Chef and I am enjoying and sharing my experience. His website is Haribakeshop. I am glad that I found something new and special for Valentine's!

Have you tasted their work yet? What specificly is he doing that's new and special?

I know of a great bakery not too far from there. It's called Sweet Karma Baking Company and is owned by one of our long standing eG members, Brian Fishman. We've had several members post about how great his desserts taste! ...........in addition to looking fabulous.

"Spreading sweet karma one dessert at a time....."

SWEET KARMA BAKING COMPANY

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Now, if your looking for baked goods further in land and on the west coast we have several other bakery owners that are regular members here too.

What are all you bakery owners doing this year for Valentines? (any photos would be definately appreciated)

A couple of weekends ago, I had the opportunity to go to Doughmonkey in Snider Plaza in Dallas. An Outstanding new pastry shop. Rhonda Ruckman, the owner was making individual heart shaped linzer torts for Valentines. And the rest of her pastries were wonderful as well. If your in Dallas, try to drop by.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for bakeries/pastry shops in the Boston area?  I am spending next weekend there and will be exploring. 

thx.

Patricia

Hi Patricia,

You can't go wrong at Flour Bakery and Cafe. It's on Washington St. in the South End. www.flourbakery.com

Enjoy Boston!!

I'd have to examine things more closely, but on first glance some of their photos look exactly like ones I've seen published. Weird.

Funny, I had the same thought, but didn't want to say anything. But since Wendy went there first...

Turns out the photos of the entremets on the home page of this site are from Apprenez L'Art des Entremets de France by Bellouet and Perruchon. The cakes are Le Tiramisu au Chocolat, le Sarah, and Douceur de Lorraine.

Hmmmph, no photo or book credits given :angry: .

Edited to add: And the dome cake on the Patisserie page seems to be from Payard's site (http://www.payard.com/eb2/product_info.php...products_id=254). I can't place the other two items, but the entremet with the chocolate squares and raspberries on top also looks familiar.

Edited by Anni (log)

• 11 months later...

I need to make separate desserts for the men and the women at the dinner on Valentine's day. I know what I will make for the men, but am having a bit of a coma about the one for the women. It needs to be light and beautiful. One year I did Champagne gelee with berries and gold leaf flakes imbeded in it in the shape of a heart. Does anyone have any great ideas, I will need to make about 100. Thanks in advance. Marilyn

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I need to make separate desserts for the men and the women at the dinner on Valentine's day.  I know what I will make for the men, but am having a bit of a coma about the one for the women.  It needs to be light and beautiful.  One year I did Champagne gelee with berries and gold leaf flakes imbeded in it in the shape of a heart.  Does anyone have any great ideas, I will need to make about 100.  Thanks in advance.    Marilyn

Can I ask what you're making for the men?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

For the men I am making a milk chocolate bombe that has a thin,crunchy dark chocolate cookie base with cocoa nibs in it, glazed with dark chocolate and a sprinkle of nibs on the top and orange/vanilla sauce. I usually do something lighter for the women but it could also be something chocolate. They are supposed to share(how romantic) but I bet they don't.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

How about a heart-shaped berry (pink) pavlova, topped with a white chocolate mousse, and then some beautifully arranged fresh berries? Or the same idea, with more tropical fruits?

Edited to add: But I would definitely want some of the men's dessert!

Edited by amccomb (log)

For the men I am making a milk chocolate bombe that has a thin,crunchy dark chocolate cookie base with cocoa nibs in it, glazed with dark chocolate and a sprinkle of nibs on the top and orange/vanilla sauce.  I usually do something lighter for the women but it could also be something chocolate.  They are supposed to share(how romantic) but I bet they don't.

Heh. Mr. FFB would have to break out of his headlock to get me to share that with him!

I'm assuming that gelato is out of the question, for such a size of dinner. How about vanilla roasted berries?

It sounds fabulous. How do I get an invite?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Would need bowls to serve these--

raspberry oeufs a la neige served with almond tuile cookies (pink framboise-flavored custard)

strawberry mousse served in a large almong tuile cookie shell and garnished with dried strawberry slices

inspired from Claudia Flemings, Grammercy Tavern Dessert Cookbook (The Last Course):

buttermilk panna cotta with a layer of rose gelee

(She has a photo with another unique presentation in which the panna cotta is sitting in a pool of rose gelee as if it were an island floating in a rose sea)

Fresh Pineapple Sorbet with Champagne Sabayon and Candied Rose Petals Escoffier

(I've made this from the Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook and it is both utterly delicious and beautiful.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Try this signature dessert:

In a nice and small heart shaped mould like this one:

Heart-shaped Moulds

Layer in some quality Vanilla Ice Cream and flash freeze.

Before serving, reverse the mould in a dessert dish and surround the heart island with Bayleys Irish Cream. Top the Ice cream heart with Mozart Chocolate Liqueur in a little hole you make with your finger in the middle of the heart.

Grind around the Mozart Chocolate Liqueur some fresh nutmeg and serve.

As a variation, you can flambee when serving or you can hide the Mozart Chocolate Liqueur with some creme Chantilly and a Cherry on top.

You can vary the recipe with different Liqueurs or custard or panna cotta or mousse...etc

N.B. The owner of this recipe cannot be held responsible for any increase in the population number or marital deviations.

Edited by Nicolai (log)

The desserts will be plated seperately. I use 10" salad plates or 10" bowls that have a large rim like the plates. They are just white with a slight texture like a golf ball on the rims. I could also use a martini glass or wine glass. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.