• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

V-Day

snacky_cat

You people dissapoint. All these industry insiders and not one horror story from last night? I'm gullible, make something up if nothing significant happened. Neil? Andrew?

Sorry to dissapoint. It was a smooth night with no trouble at all. The only sniff of anything about to erupt was people wanting to use Entertainment Cards for Valentine's Day. This is not allowed as everybody pays the full pull on Valentine's.

There was a chap who called in looking for a large take out order, I'll give you my credit card #, take a 15 % grat for yourself and I will need extra cash for the cab driver, as he will be picking it up. ( every greedy waiter loves this - 15 % on take out - they jump at it ! )

Sorry buddy, I did not just fall off of the back of a turnip truck !

One of my waiters a couple of years ago fell into this trap in a Sunday night. Burned for a $1000.00

I was sooooo pissed off. When I asked him what kind of fool he was, he had no response. Another Yaletown restauranteur was burned for over $20,000 with this scam. What kind of fool is he ?

Anyways Keith, there's a little something for ya'

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

You people dissapoint. All these industry insiders and not one horror story from last night? I'm gullible, make something up if nothing significant happened. Neil? Andrew?

Happy to report the night was smooth like butter, home by midnight - I don't think I even saw a crying woman or a drink tossed in anyone's face. What is this world coming to ?

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Twas my birthday and I have a nasty cold so I took the night off to spend it with my wife and son. We enjoyed Chinese take-out, unpacking boxes (still :angry: ), and reading Robinson Crusoe to a sleepyhead.

I did, however, go for a late night stroll past my restaurant. Packed to the gills. There is an odd pleasure in watching your colleagues wade through the weeds from afar.

Back to the grind this evening. :biggrin:

On nights like New Years Eve and Valentines Day waiters, managers, chefs and hostesses tend to over-prepare for the worst, so if the roof doesn't cave in and the four horsemen of the apocalypse don't show up asking for a 4top in smoking without a reso then it's a little anti-climactic. :laugh:

Happy ides of Feb.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

We had a really nice dinner at Sakana Bistro on Mainland in Yaletown.

They had a Crunchy Lobster Role special that was very good. We also had the Crunchy Sashimi salad that had greens, salmon and tuna sashimi, deep fried Lotus Root slices with grated carrot in a mustard vinaigrette. Then we had Unagi and Chirishi Don (sp?) which is assorted Sashimi in a bowl over sushi rice. Washed all this down with a couple large Sapporo's. With only two wait staff for the restaurant, tea service was lacking because it was busy. Overall though the food was tasty and it was a very nice meal especially with my beautiful Valentine.

After finishing we we're off to see the AMAZING Kodo Taiko Drummers at the QE.

We had a really nice dinner at Sakana Bistro on Mainland in Yaletown.

They had a Crunchy Lobster Role special that was very good.  We also had the Crunchy Sashimi salad that had greens, salmon and tuna sashimi, deep fried Lotus Root slices with grated carrot in a mustard vinaigrette.  Then we had Unagi and Chirishi Don (sp?)  which is assorted Sashimi in a bowl over sushi rice.  Washed all this down with a couple large Sapporo's.  With only two wait staff for the restaurant, tea service was lacking because it was busy.  Overall though the food was tasty and it was a very nice meal especially with my beautiful Valentine.

After finishing we we're off to see the AMAZING Kodo Taiko Drummers at the QE.

We had a similar Valentine's Day celebration.

We had an early dinner at Hapa Izakaya - the place has expanded to include the premises next door and it was full by 5:45. We had Spinach and Yuba (tofu skin) Salad, Nama Harumaki (similar to a Vietnamese salad roll, but filled with crab meat and flavoured mayo), Egg Plant Marbo over Rice Crispies and Lotus Root Gyoza (minced pork sandwiched between two slices of lotus root and deep fried). We had a couple of draft beers each and shared an order of vanilla ice cream with red bean sauce. Even though the place was full and the kitchen was running full steam, we found the service to be attentive and efficient - hot towels for the hands as soon as we were seated, dirty dishes picked up right away, beer in my glass and lots of tea refills, and best of all - the bill came quickly and credit card processed.

We made it to the AMAZING Kodo Taiko Drummers in plenty of time. It was truly an experience!!!

On the night previous, we fed a packed house. I had a section of 5 four tops and a deuce, so I was spared much of the romance. However, my deuce finally got sat at around 9pm. A young couple. They order two martinis and pre-order an app to share, keeping their menus. I run through the specials and they tell me they're in no hurry. :unsure:

They get their drinks and a sharing plate. I take their menus away with a promise to return them later. I basically leave them alone. Love is in the air. A half hour passes and they've hardly touched the plate or sipped their marts.

"Is everything as it should be?" I ask, doing a follow-up quality check. Seriously, two bites are gone.

"Everything is just fine." she says.

Her boyfriend chimes in. "I hope we aren't keeping you..."

"Oh, not at all. Please, take your time." I say and walk away with a smile.

An hour passes. Most of my tables have filtered out. I'm out back with the sous chefs having a smoke and chewing the fat of the evening's progress and their prospects for tomorrow. My busser joins us.

"I just cleared the app from 16." she says.

"Seriously?" I ask, incredulous. I go inside, wash my hands, eat a mint, and make my way to 16. Their martinis are gone, too.

"So, any thoughts to a main course?" I start.

They order a salmon and a beef tenderloin and the young man starts flipping through the wine list. I recommend a cheap Burgundy. Things are kickstarted.

As i'm typing in their order on the Micros the guy taps me on the shoulder, a crazed look in his eye. He's younger than I thought. Maybe 24. He's all dressed up in his Sunday best.

"Hey, listen" he says. "I'm gonna propose to my girlfriend tonight, after dinner."

"That's wonderful!" I respond, taking a break from spelling "well done" as a modifier for his steak.

"When we're finished our dinner can you please bring us two glasses of champagne. That's when I'm gonna ask her." He's clearly nervous.

"Perhaps a bottle would be a better idea, sir. We have some 1990 Dom Perignon that would truly make the evening a most memorable affair. " I counter.

I'm just kidding, folks. I might be the first to upsell, but I pick my fights more prudently than that. :biggrin:

"Certainly, sir. It'll be an honour." I say sincerely, despite myself.

So, the main courses come and go.

By now the entire staff knows what's about to go down at table 16. With no ceremony at all, I set down two glasses of Blue Mountain brut on their table and calmly walk away. All the girls I work with are just staring from the various staff stations around the restaurant.

The guy pulls out a box. She looks surprised. She opens it and what she sees makes her smile. Her body exhales. There are tears welling up in her eyes. The entire staff are holding their breath.

She closes the box. The collective gasp is almost audible over the dinner din.

Speculation runs rife. Even the dishpig has a theory.

He asks for the bill. Almost in tears for the guy, I fetch it for him. They pay and walk arm in arm to the door. I collect their coats for them. There is an air of ethereal disquiet about them. They are in a dream-like state with eyes glossed over.

I can't help it. I ask...

"How'd it go?"

"She said yes."

"But she closed the box! Congratulations! I was so worried!" I admit.

"Earrings, dude. I got her diamond earrings. I'm letting her choose the ring."

After I wipe my brow with relief and say my goodbyes, I think to myself:

Shit!

Some people have way too much money at 24. :laugh:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

"But she closed the box! Congratulations! I was so worried!" I admit.

"Earrings, dude. I got her diamond earrings. I'm letting her choose the ring."

After I wipe my brow with relief and say my goodbyes, I think to myself:

Shit!

Some people have way too much money at 24.  :laugh:

Dude! I'm betting you're wishing you HAD upsold to the Dom! :laugh::laugh:

A.

update on st. val's day disaster...

the duck disappeared in the mole

the mole was bitter

the beans needed salt

never got around to the rice

the moral of the story is...keep it stupid, simple. I clearly went overboard in the prep on this one, and I paid the price. The food was edible, but not worthy of the time and effort put into it. Next year, I'm going with something less complicated, and more tasty!!!

Love sucks!!!