• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

V-Day

snacky_cat

February 14th is approaching, signalling the mass influx of bridge-and-tunnellers into the "nice restaurants" for V-day face-stuffing (doesn't "I love you" sound so much better when spoken through a mouthful of duck confit, with meat spraying everywhere?).

Though I am usually LOATHE to go anywhere near most restaurants on the 14th, preferring to do a nice dinner on one of the days either side of the main event, the snacky_cat schedule does not permit this luxury this year, so dinner on the 14th it is.

We have reservations for 8:30 at Chambar. Where are the rest of you going? Is it the 14th for you, or another day? And how long ago did you make your reservations (I called ours in about 3 weeks ago, at the same time I was making a reso for later that week).

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

February 14th happens to be my birthday.

When my wife and I were married, there was a special contract stamped by a notary and blessed by a priest, a rabbi, and a minister that decreed Valentines Day would thitherto cease to exist for her. :huh:

Good girl she be. :wub:

Every year I book it off from work to avoid the throngs who deign to celebrate anything but my mothers labours. :biggrin:

I am, otherwise, a lord of romance.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The wife and I met on the 18th of February (10 years ago this year...) so we usually do the romantic dinner thing a week later to avoid the V-day madness. This year since it is the big 10 years I decided to do something special like a personalised tasting menu at West. David Hawksworth is not in town next week so this weekend it is, Saturday we will be treated to a 10 course menu. Needless to say I am very much looking forward to this one! I booked this about 3 weeks ago and have been counting down the days ever since :smile:

Edited by Chocoholic (log)

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Why do these things come to me?

“Whither goest thou,” you ask me;

“Nowhere” sayeth I, “Alas, we

Single folk are spared the vastly

Overcrowded, pricey fest. We

Celebrate our singleness, we

Stay at home, we save our dough,

From time to time our noses blow,

And hope one day to go to Pastis,

Foie gras croquettes to eat most rashly

And celebrate the happy day

Like good eGulleters, Cat_Snacky.”

Edited again because I'm losing (what little there is of) my brain.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ah, Valentine's Day.

The busiest single day of the year. No going out for me, it will be work , work , work.

Not to worry, instead of bringing home the bacon, this day you bring home the whole pig !

It is funny to observe people on Valentine's day.

Lots of hopes dashed, lots of expectations not met, sometimes seperate bills.

A few fights.

The restaurant does not supply the romance. You have to bring that yourself. The "magic" is in you, not in the stuffed prawns you just ordered. People ( a sweeping generalization ) expect something special is going to happen spontaneously just by the very fact you are out on Valentine's Day. It is always the same every year. I sort of dread it. Every year there is some sort of surprise, and not usually a pleasent one. I think it comes from a mixture of nerves and heightened expectations, and it has a funny way on coming out.

This year will be a whole Valentine's weekend. It starts on Friday and will go until about midnight on Monday. Lets hope everyone gets what they want.

For me, an extra hour or two of sleep would be present enough.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As part of our post Valentine's "two days and one night" of romance away from home (16th and 17th), we're thinking about dinner at Adesso... we thought it would be somewhat serendipitous since we had our first date and our first kiss at Saltimbocca. :wub:

Hence, my anticipation of Andrew's review! (By the way, Bon Anniversaire in advance Andrew :biggrin: )

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The wife and I met on the 18th of February (10 years ago this year...) so we usually do the romantic dinner thing a week later to avoid the V-day madness. This year since it is the big 10 years I decided to do something special like a personalised tasting menu at West. David Hawksworth is not in town next week so this weekend it is, Saturday we will be treated to a 10 course menu. Needless to say I am very much looking forward to this one! I booked this about 3 weeks ago and have been counting down the days ever since  :smile:

Oh, Chocoholic, :biggrin: congatulations and congratulations - what a way to celebrate! Do tell us how it is, but mostly enjoy yourselves! Great plan and much better than any 10th anniverisary stuff I have heard of in the past.

Hmmn, we didn't do much special for our anniversary that recently passed, maybe we need a 10 course tasting menu at West ... :shock:

The restaurant does not supply the romance. You have to bring that yourself. The "magic" is in you, not in the stuffed prawns you just ordered.

editor's recent musings notwithstanding, that has to be the most poetic thing I've read in here as of late, :laugh:

J & I will be at The Bacchus Lounge on Friday evening, and we hope to have a date on Saturday with a box of popcorn and a screening of Sideways. Anyone know of a good place for a pizza and a bottle of wine near the Fifth Ave Cinema?? :laugh::laugh: I have afterall been dragging her to all these eGullet things and DOV meals ... seems an appropriate weekend for some "couple" time.

A.

As part of our post Valentine's "two days and one night" of romance away from home (16th and 17th), we're thinking about dinner at Adesso... we thought it would be somewhat serendipitous since we had our first date and our first kiss at Saltimbocca.  :wub:

Hence, my anticipation of Andrew's review!  (By the way, Bon Anniversaire in advance Andrew  :biggrin: )

Sounds like a great idea to me. :wink:

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

Congratulations Andrew! Have a wonderful time.

We're not going out this year (and have unilaterally decided that V-Day is, in fact, on Sunday - so there) apart from the Smithers wine festival on Saturday evening - a trepidatious first. We're going to do dinner at home on our faux V-day - crab & avocado salad, asparagus, some sort of risotto, and fillet steak with a mushroom/marsala sauce - and a pear/chocolate sundae for dessert. Not sure on wine yet - worry about that later (possibly after Saturday!). And then, assuming we can still move, a late-night cross country ski on the lake with the dogs (we're hoping for moonlight) :wub:

We will be at Silver Star, skiing. And I am still hoping that at least one of my fellow eGulleters can make at least 1 recommendation for a reasonable meal in the area. So far, things are looking bleak.  :sad:

Karole, I only go to Sun Peaks, don't know a thing at Silver Star, but I'll ask a co-worker tomorrow who spends much more time in the Okanagan, and may have an idea.

Agenda-free since 1966.

This just in: Something under the GPS for St. Valentine's Day.

I've long been a fan of the Epicurean Cafe in Kits, even after Christian, the son of the proprietor, somehow fumbled the contract with that baristress. Bikers, of all ilks, came from miles around to complement the usual crowd of cashmered Italian smoothies.

They've recently taken over the upstairs space above their boite and are serving a home-cooked Italian meal on Monday evening as a launch of their new space. That's all I know, but enquiries can be made to Christian or Dario at 604/731-5370. Address: 1898 West First Ave at Cypress.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Karole, my co-worker recommends Putnam Station as having the best food and service on the hill, of hte places he's gone. But it's still a "family restaurant" with a "train theme" so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Apparently there are some "fine dining" places in Vernon, but we have no data.

:unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Karole, my co-worker recommends Putnam Station as having the best food and service on the hill, of hte places he's gone. But it's still a "family restaurant" with a "train theme" so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Apparently there are some "fine dining" places in Vernon, but we have no data.

:unsure:

Thank you Deborah. That was the restaurant that I was trying to remember. I had dinner there 9 years ago when I was in Silverstar and if I remember correctly, the waiter did a double take when I asked for the wine list. The "wine list" that I actually received was dusty :shock: and the food was awful. Again it was 9 years ago, but there must be something better.

We had our much anticipated 10 year anniversary meal at West last night. It was fabulous, I had spoken to David Hawksworth and Brian Hopkins about it before so we got the royal treatment. No menus, just sit down, have a glass of wine (the first of many!) and let the food arrive in a steady stream of great dishes. Some of the highlights include a steamed artichoke heart stuffed with a truffle mousse and duck confit, some striped bass with truffles and the first wild spring salmon of the season on a Meyer lemon confit. We spent almost 3 hours there, quiet and unhurried, enjoying the evening. Dessert was a frozen lemon souffle with tamarind, you can imagine the flavors in that one.

Brian's wine pairings were meticulous and delicious, most of the wines were unknown to us but he is great at explaining them and his enthusiasm for wine is infectuous. When we left we were presented with a copy of the menu as a keepsake, something we much appreciated.

Truly an evening to remember, we are now supremely spoilt and wondering how we can top this one! (A fun thing we did was try to guess the next dish by the wine that always arrived before the food. Usually the cutlery gave it away :smile: )

I can't think of a better way for a food lover to spend a special occasion. I am sad it is over. I cannot recommend it enough.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

The last three years have been mediocre experiences at otherwise fantastic places that seem to be just interested in table turnover during valentines day. Therefore, we're staying home and throwing down (so to speak) in the kitchen ourselves.

Duck in homeade Mole Poblano (Started grinding stuff yesterday, I'll let you know how it comes out, Deborah) simmered in the crock for eight hours

Black beans with pork tenderloin, chiles and tomatos

"Green" rice (plenty of cilantro thrown in at the end)

Tortillas, for taco-izing it all, and a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz

Chocolate cake with Belgian chocolate granache and Kirsch-cherry topping.

Alcyone Tannat Dessert wine from Uruguay

We are staying home...

On the menu at Maison Stephen will be:

Foie Gras with a half bottle of 1994 Sauternes (the year my wife and I met)

Vension rack with 1998 Leasingham Shiraz (our wedding wine at C Restaurant)

Chocolate and cardamon mousse with some undetermined Sparkling Shiraz.

Have an enjoyable Valentines Day at home or away.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG