• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner at Pastis Last Night

Chocoholic

On the regular night out with my foodie friend we decided to try Pastis. My friend is habitually late so I enjoyed a Pastis while perusing the wine list while waiting for him to show up. Having grown up in Holland eating large quantities of unadulterated black licorice I adore anything with licorice and alcohol so it went down rather well. It is now second to black Sambuca in my licorice indulgences.

The appetiser of the evening was foie gras croquettes in orange marmelade. I was very intrigued and ordered them. They were exactly as expected, pieces of foie gras wrapped in a panko batter and deep fried. I guess this takes some culinary balls to do but the result was surprisingly good. Perfectly fried, crispy and crunchy on the outside with the ethereal foie in the center. My friend's escargot ravioli looked sad and bland in comparison. He inhaled them however so I assume they were good!

I had the cassoulet next, one of my favorite comfort foods. Every once in a while I undertake the elaborate preparation of one at home but it had been a while. This one with a braised pork osso bucco in the center of the plate and merguez sausages and shredded duck confit was lovely. My friend had steak frites, it looked good but I was too busy eating my cassoulet to notice really. :smile:

Desserts were fine, I forsake chocolate for a lemon tart which had a nicely bruleed top and a good lemon flavor.

The service was top notch, our waiter very attentive. The room wasn't very busy, I guess this is the post DOV void that will befall many restaurants in February.

This is another place to add to my list of casual and comfortable dining rooms. This is why I like e-gullet, it leads me to try and discover new restaurants.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

They were a special of the evening so you would have to beg/bribe the chef to make some before coming over. :smile:

After complimenting on them our server mentioned the positive responses from other guests so perhaps they will make it as a regular menu item.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

I would like to check out these croquettes, as foie gras to me is much like heaven. I need a night off though.  :sad:

Ciao

Adesso Chef

When you do get a night off you may also like to sample the foie gras croquette (so called even though it's square!) at C restaurant. It pairs with the Octopus Bacon Wrapped Kagan Bay Scallop, and is warm and runny!

Buon appetito!

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

I would like to check out these croquettes, as foie gras to me is much like heaven. I need a night off though.  :sad:

Ciao

Adesso Chef

When you do get a night off you may also like to sample the foie gras croquette (so called even though it's square!) at C restaurant. It pairs with the Octopus Bacon Wrapped Kagan Bay Scallop, and is warm and runny!

Buon appetito!

Thanks for the tip about C

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com