• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The French Laundry Cookbook" by Thomas Keller

gruyere

There are 2 recipes I would like to try over the weekend: Cauliflower Panna Cotta with caviar (p.22) and the salmon with a confit of oranges (p.140). 

Has anyone tried any of them?  How did they turn out?

I ATE the cauliflower panna cotta with caviar at TFL, but haven't made it. Post pictures please, have fun!!

Just noticed this thread, perhaps because I just bought a copy of the French Laundry cookbook today. I might even cook something out of it one day. :raz: But the thing that pushed me to buy it might interest some of you: it was on sale for $9.99 at Jack's World on 32nd Street near 7th Avenue (upstairs.) There were also several copies of Bouchon, and a few copies of Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet, also for $9.99 each. So hie thee!!

Just noticed this thread, perhaps because I just bought a copy of the French Laundry cookbook today. I might even cook something out of it one day.  :raz:  But the thing that pushed me to buy it might interest some of you: it was on sale for $9.99 at Jack's World on 32nd Street near 7th Avenue (upstairs.) There were also several copies of Bouchon, and a few copies of Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet, also for $9.99 each. So hie thee!!

Forgive my stupidity, but are we talking about NYC ? (I don't see any way to know....)

:sad:

Just noticed this thread, perhaps because I just bought a copy of the French Laundry cookbook today. I might even cook something out of it one day.  :raz:  But the thing that pushed me to buy it might interest some of you: it was on sale for $9.99 at Jack's World on 32nd Street near 7th Avenue (upstairs.) There were also several copies of Bouchon, and a few copies of Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet, also for $9.99 each. So hie thee!!

Forgive my stupidity, but are we talking about NYC ? (I don't see any way to know....)

:sad:

You're right, there's no way to know. Sorry. Chalk it up to NYC-egocentricity, because it is NYC. :smile:

There are 2 recipes I would like to try over the weekend: Cauliflower Panna Cotta with caviar (p.22) and the salmon with a confit of oranges (p.140). 

Has anyone tried any of them?  How did they turn out?

I ATE the cauliflower panna cotta with caviar at TFL, but haven't made it. Post pictures please, have fun!!

My son, the computer wiz, took a few pictures.

we started with the cauliflower panna cotta with beluga caviar (a friend brought it back from a recent trip to russia, nice gift!!!). With it we had a few pickled oysters with cucumber capellini.

DSC01930S.JPG

Click for High Resolution

DSC02359S.JPG

Then we had the citrus marinated salmon.

DSC02388S.JPG

Then we had cheese with salad (to finish off the baguette (from The baker's apprentice - with pate fermentée).

To finish off, we had the chocolate marquise (from Bouchon), with a coffee creme anglaise.

DSC01943S.JPG

Nice dinner!!

Click to see a Work in Progress Animation

• 5 weeks later...
I've been looking at making the touchon of foie gras but have one slight problem.  Keller's recipe calls for the foie gras to be soaked in milk to draw out the blood.  I can't use milk, so is there any other way of drawing out the blood, but not by using milk?

Sorry for the long delay in answering, but I just happened to be looking at this thread.

I am primarily a home cook and, as such, have only prepared foie gras a few times (including the torchon) and this is my feeling.

When using a packaged foie gras, such as from D'Artagnan or Hudson Valley Foie Gras, I have found very little, if any, blood still in the foie gras. Even when cutting out the veins, I see very little evidence of blood still in evidence, so personally I am not sure this step is even necessary. If your issue is lactose intolerance, you might consider a lactose-free or soy milk for this process (preferably a lighter soy so as not to affect taste), although I have not done this personally.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

That animation is cool, Francois. How the heck did you do that? And could you explain the plating of the creme Anglaise? Is that a single serving? It looks lovely.

Wow, lmf, Dayne is really kicking butt in the TFL depasrtment! His cooking is very accomplished, and the fact that he does all that just for you is stellar.

Edited by Abra (log)

On a general note, I bought a the FL cookbook upon its release and it was apparent to me from the first read that this would be a substantive book that I would continue to read for years, rather than the typical restaurant cookbook that you are no longer using after six months. While I agree the recipes are complicated, that, to me, is entirely the point. Most of the cookbook world is filled with cookbooks with simple recipes, small numbers of ingredients, and little or no theory or even introduction to a dish, meant for amateur cooks for whom speed of preparation is paramount (not an unrealistic aim, by the way). The problem with these books is that one is very much like another, just a book of recipes. With FL, even the most basic stock recipes give you a ton of things to think about. Even if you don't make the FL recipe exactly as is, you can use some of the suggestions from Keller in your own similar (and perhaps less elaborate) recipes. The FL cookbook is a great read, even if you never make anything from it (although personally I highly recommend the foie gras torchon and the cote de boeuf.) The only problem is that it's too big to read in bed.

While I expect to purchase Bouchon eventually (when the price is right), I had been reluctant to get it because I already had a number of bistro cookbooks, most of which had come out just prior to Bouchon (including Balthazar, Bourdain's Les Halles book, and Gordon Hammersley's Bistro Cooking at Home). That being said, and even though I have enough bistro/brasserie recipes to last me a lifetime, I will eventually buy Bouchon just for the tidbits that are mentioned within the recipes, which to me have proven worth their weight in gold.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

That animation is cool, Francois.  How the heck did you do that?  And could you explain the plating of the creme Anglaise?  Is that a single serving?  It looks lovely.

The plating of the creme anglaise is very easy and looks nice. Pipe a thin spiral of chocolate sauce over the creme anglaise. Drag the point of a knife from the center to the outside or from the outside to the center (or alternate). You can find several other simple ideas in Bo Friberg's Profesionnel Pastry Chef (you really don't have to be a chef to use the book - I am not- the recipes are easy to divide or also given in small yield version). I like making little hearts: Pipe small dots and run the point of a knife in the center.

I don't have a clue about the animation. My son did it (and took the other pictures). I asked him to explain:

The animation is quite simple to realise.

First Step: Taking the Pictures

I simply setted up a Digital Camera on a tripod, so each picture was taken from exactly the same angle. And someone took more pictures possible while plating. So there was about 16 pictures showing the progression.

Second Step: Converting the Pictures into an Animation.

The picture I had on my computer where in JPEG format, that's the most popular image format for Digital Camera. Then I took a computer program to merge them into a Sequence Animation (as a GIF image, GIFs format able to show Multiple Images in a sequence).

I used "Animation Shop 3", you can find a free evaluation version here: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...d=1047024390003 . Or you can visit http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gifcon.html to find a free evaluation version of another software called "GIF Construction Set". Theses are only suggestions, there are tons of softwares that could do the job.

If some of you show the interest in having more details about building a Gif Animation, I could Write you a Little Step by Step Tutorial.

The only bad side of Gif Animation Image is that the number of colors is limited to 256, that's why it doesn't seem clear and crispy. Other solution would be creating a Flash Animation, or maybe directly a movie. Maybe next time! ;)

I'm planning a French Laundry dinner in about two weeks time, and plan on doing as much prep work as possible before "game day" since I am woefully lacking in cooking skills compared to all of you. :blush:

Here's my tentative plan...has anyone made these dishes? I've read this thread, so I know some have been made...but additional tips/comments are always welcome.

Canapes:

Parmigiano-Reggiano crisps with goat cheese mousse

First course:

either

Oysters and Pearls (I skimmed this thread, and didn't see any comments about this dish. It looks pretty labour-intensive...has anyone made it with great success? :smile: )

or

White Truffle-oil infused custards with black truffle ragout

Main course:

either

Pan-Roasted Breast of Squab with Swiss Chard, sauteed duck foie gras, and oven-dried black figs

or

Roasted rib steak with golden chantrelles, Pommes Anna, and Bordelaise sauce (obviously this seems to be the easier of the two mains, but I've never had prunes and potatoes before...sounds different, but not entirely disgusting to me :laugh: )

Dessert:

Veloute of bittersweet chocolate with cinnamon-stick ice-cream (based on LMF's pics...this looks gorgeous, sounds delicious, and I have a good stash of chocolate and cocoa on hand. :smile: )

Edited by Ling (log)

I'm planning a French Laundry dinner in about two weeks time, and plan on doing as much prep work as possible before "game day" since I am woefully lacking in cooking skills compared to all of you. :blush:

Here's my tentative plan...has anyone made these dishes? I've read this thread, so I know some have been made...but additional tips/comments are always welcome.

Canapes:

Parmigiano-Reggiano crisps with goat cheese mousse

Dessert:

Veloute of bittersweet chocolate with cinnamon-stick ice-cream (based on LMF's pics...this looks gorgeous, sounds delicious, and I have a good stash of chocolate and cocoa on hand.  :smile: )

Ling, I make the parm crisps all the time, you can make the mousse the day before but the parm is best made that morning

Dayne has made the veloute twice, it is a show stopper. He likes making it because it call all be done in advance. I think he does it 2 or 3 days prior.

Wow, 2 days in advance? That would help me out a lot. I've decided to go with the "Cauliflower Panna Cotta with Osetra caviar" as a first course (but probably going to buy sevrugra instead to lower costs...still a student, you know :wink: ), as someone told me that the "Oysters and Pearls" is quite tricky to do (exact timing, etc.) so I will save that dish when I've had more experience in the kitchen.

I've also decided on the squab as a main course, since the parm-crisps and the cauliflower panna cotta should be quite easy to do. :smile:

• 1 month later...
There is really no need to use a cornet mold.  You could use muffins molds or small cups.  It would be much easier to make and just as lovely.  You could serve it in the same way.  Of course, then it would not look like an ice cream cone!  Your guest would still be very fortunate...

I agree...I've made this recipe several times (it's quite easy and flavorwise it turns out just like in the restaurant.) I originally purchased cornet molds over the Internet but I've found that they're more hassle than they're worth. Just make disks or cups (using a muffin tin) and you'll save yourself a lot of effort.

View more of my food photography from the world's finest restaurants:

FineDiningPhotos.com

We've made the molds several times and have used different kitchen tools with mixed success. The best so far was the tip end of a metal turkey baster. You could also fashion it around a cardboard mold and remove the mold before baking. A toothpick or baking string held it together. We ended up buying molds so we could make more at a time.

• 1 year later...

Bumping up this thread to get some input on the Pacific Moi dish. I noticed that someone earlier in the thread said they substituted salmon. Trouble is, I really don't like salmon. Anyone have any other suggestions for something that would be as good as Moi?

I've set out to do every recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook, and I'm writing about it here.

Edited by Diner Girl (log)

Bumping up this thread to get some input on the Pacific Moi dish.  I noticed that someone earlier in the thread said they substituted salmon.  Trouble is, I really don't like salmon.  Anyone have any other suggestions for something that would be as good as Moi?

I've set out to do every recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook, and I'm writing about it here.

First off, I have successfully used Chilean sea bass in place of Moi with good results.

Second, I took a quick look at your blog. I applaud you for your work! Everything looks great and I love to see people cook TFL food. I worked there for 8 months and I always love to see people venture out and try new stuff in the kitchen. Keep it up!

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Bumping up this thread to get some input on the Pacific Moi dish.  I noticed that someone earlier in the thread said they substituted salmon.  Trouble is, I really don't like salmon.  Anyone have any other suggestions for something that would be as good as Moi?

First off, I have successfully used Chilean sea bass in place of Moi with good results.

Second, I took a quick look at your blog. I applaud you for your work! Everything looks great and I love to see people cook TFL food. I worked there for 8 months and I always love to see people venture out and try new stuff in the kitchen. Keep it up!

-Chef Johnny

Thanks for the suggestion -- I was going to try halibut or hoki, but the sea bass makes sense. And thanks for the kind words about the blog. It's been so much fun, and something to get me out of my food rut.

• 6 months later...
We've made the molds several times and have used different kitchen tools with mixed success. The best so far was the tip end of a metal turkey baster. You could also fashion it around a cardboard mold and remove the mold before baking. A toothpick or baking string held it together. We ended up buying molds so we could make more at a time.

I know it's been a while since this question was asked, but I found a link on Instructables with a suggestion of sewn manila folders. I'm going to try this week!