• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it possible to omit the eggs

Ling

Hi, I gave my favourite chocolate cake recipe to a friend, and she wants to make it for her mom. However, her mom's vegetarian and does not eat eggs. My friend is asking if there is any way she can substitute the 4 eggs in the recipe for something else.

I don't know of any substitute, can someone help?

Here's the cake recipe:

-1 cup cocoa powder

-3/4 cup strong coffee

-1 cup warm milk

-2 and 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour

-1/2 tsp. salt

-1 tsp. baking soda

-1 and a half cup unsalted butter

-2 and a half cup granulated sugar

-1 tbsp vanilla extract

-4 large eggs

You also need:

-2 eight-inch cake pans, at least 2" deep

-parchment paper

-extra butter for greasing the pans

1. Trace a circle on the parchment paper using the bottom of your cake pan. Cut it out and place in pan. Grease the parchment paper and sides of pan.

2. Whisk cocoa, hot coffee, and milk in a large bowl. Let the mixture cool. (You can stick it in the fridge while you assemble the dry ingredients.)

3. In a separate bowl, sift together cake flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

4. Cream together softened butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time while continuing to stir. Pour in cooled cocoa mix. Add dry ingredients and mix until it no longer looks grainy.

5. Divide batter between cake pans. Smooth top. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, rotate pans and bake another 20 minutes or until cake top springs back when lightly pressed.

6. Invert pans for 15 minutes, then let cool on racks for an hour.

7. Peel away parchment, and frost layers.

Ingredients (for chocolate frosting):

-1/2 cup unsalted butter

-3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

-1 cup cocoa powder -1/4 cup whole milk

-2 tsps vanilla extract

1. Cream all the ingredients together until combined.

2. Place one cake layer on a cake stand (or plate).

3. Spread frosting on layer, and place the 2nd layer on top of frosting.

4. Frost the top of the cake and sides.

edit: I accidentally left out the coffee amount in my original post.

Edited by Ling (log)

I've never made a cake without eggs, but I have done it with my cookie recipes. Instead of eggs and butter (a friend with allergies) I used a little oil and apple sauce. If she's vegan, you'll want to adjust the dairy in the recipe as well. Good luck, it's always fun experimenting.

2. Whisk cocoa, hot coffee, and milk in a large bowl. Let the mixture cool. (You can stick it in the fridge while you assemble the dry ingredients.)

Ever on the lookout for more chocolate cake recipes, I copied yours to add to my collection. It does look good. Reading through it, I noticed that hot coffee makes an appearance in the instructions but not in the list of ingredients. Can you fill us in please? (Many thanks.) :smile:

I've made cakes using vinegar instead of eggs, but they were already eggless cake recipes. I don't know how much to substitute, or if vinegar can be substituted in all recipes (somehow I'd hesitate to add vinegar to a recipe that calls for milk.) Sorry I can't help you here.

Ever on the lookout for more chocolate cake recipes, I copied yours to add to my collection. It does look good. Reading through it, I noticed that hot coffee makes an appearance in the instructions but not in the list of ingredients. Can you fill us in please? (Many thanks.) :smile:

I've made cakes using vinegar instead of eggs, but they were already eggless cake recipes. I don't know how much to substitute, or if vinegar can be substituted in all recipes (somehow I'd hesitate to add vinegar to a recipe that calls for milk.) Sorry I can't help you here.

I'm sorry, I was copying and pasting and must have accidentally deleted the coffee amount! The recipe calls for 3/4 cup strong coffee. :smile:

Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Edited by Ling (log)

Try this huge very useful site all about vegan baking. Compares all the different potential egg subs, with the positives and negatives of each. Looking at your recipe, I'd try flax slurry myself.

I second the use of a flax slurry and add some banana. Omega makes a flax product.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

my grandmother used to use mayo in place of eggs and its my understanding that there is a vegan version on the market....im not real sure what the ratio of mayo is to one egg though..that requires more knowledge than i have and unfortunalty i cant ask her as she passed away a couple of years ago

a recipe is merely a suggestion

There are certainly egg substitutes, but I would caution that they can have varying results. Having done a tiny bit of vegan baking myself, I would say it is better to stick to recipes that don't really heavily on eggs for their structure. Of course, try it out and I hope it comes out nicely.

And thank you for sharing the recipe!