• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Authentic Indian Cuisine in Vancouver

I also second Moosh's vote for Tandoori King on East 65th.

I'll third the vote for Tandoori King, but I think I've only been to the one in Surrey, on 120th. We actually went there just last night.

Had Gobi Pakora to start (I love this as an appie, because it arrives quickly, and it's crunchy and a bit salty and goes great with beer).

Then moved on to Chicken Tikka Masala and Rogan Josh, with some rice and naan. Everything was very good, and brought enough leftovers home for lunch today.

I LOVE smelling up the office kitchen with tasty nuked leftovers while watching some poor sap putting hot water into his styrofoam ramen noodle bowl. :raz: "That sure smells good!" "Yeah, yours too. Do you put in the whole packet of simulated chicken flavour powder?" :rolleyes:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

OK oKok , I can't help myself from this thread... after backpacking thru India recently there's only 2 real criteria for authenticity...

OK 3.. and the one place that fits the bill is little India Sweets on 49th and Main for the vegetarian buffet

1) cheap (aka the ratio of all-you-can-eat to $$ fits the bill)

2) food is about as good (and cheap) as you'd find in any market in an Indian city (it ain't the Ragoli people .... therefore "authentic") :hmmm:

3) the ability for food poisoning.... hmmm.. Ok nevermind (what's an Indian dietary experience without some Delhi belly the first time... you will get it. trust me. our North American stomachs need the initial jolt to acclimitize... just be glad you don't get Calcutta belly... ugh....

:huh:

4) the best (and did I mention cheap?) gulab jaman ever.... <lick>

5) Bollywood blasting above your head (hey, waitaminute, isn't that Stanley Park in the background..? And how did they get to Bombay again... and now they are back at SP...? what the..?)

OK so there's 5 ... hmmm.... my student wallet loves that place...

:biggrin:

The Mr and myself ate at the Handi in West Vancouver last weekend. We enjoyed the meal immensely. The service was great as well as the food.

I have spent quite a bit of time travelling in India and the the Dahl Handi was probably the best dahl I have ever eaten.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Vij's has never impressed me-pretentious and overblown come to mind.

That being said I did have a lovely lunch in the covered patio @ Rangoli last week.The food was tasty but in no way exceptional, one server warm and energetic the two others lumps of resentment and ennui.

I note the abscence of any Indo Canadians whenever I've been in Vij's over the years.

The parochial attitude toward 'certain' restaurants-the idea that 'no others need apply' as exhibited by certain posters on this thread-is unfortunate.

How can  a person  maintain a balanced, forward looking yet critical view of  restaurant food by sneering at every newcomer on the scene/refusing to try anything new/being satisfied with same old/same old?

Isn't that a textbook definition of parochialism?

It wasn't long ago that Vancouver was a very small city provincial and downright boring in terms of eating habits-I see that for some 'old habits die hard'....

Best post ever. No other reason for quoting other than to give Sam a shoutout for not being afraid to buck the weight of the increasing amount of group think around here. Cheers.

And I dragged the monsters to All India Sweets last night. As usual, very good considering the bill for three of us was eighteen bucks plus change. Naan is dry and tired there though, chutney selection is excellent. I love the pickled carrots.

Best post ever. No other reason for quoting other than to give Sam a shoutout for not being afraid to buck the weight of the increasing amount of group think around here. Cheers.

I don't know if I'd label the whole Vij's love-in as "group think." I agree there is some, but for me, the issue is that whenever I ask about Indian food either on this board, or elsewhere (yes, I have friends in the "real world") Vij's, Rangoli & Maurya always come up. Then again, so do the samosas at The Himalaya.

How can a person maintain a balanced, forward looking yet critical view of restaurant food by sneering at every newcomer on the scene/refusing to try anything new/being satisfied with same old/same old?

True. Similarly, how can one maintain a balanced view by sneering at an establishment that got it right, and continues to do so today? Do we punish the successful?

Sam's feelings on Vij's are well-documented, both on eGullet and on the "other" board. I wonder what his beef (or pork or lamb ...) is with Vij's? "Pretensious & overblown" were the words he used. Does that refer to the restaurant or the food, or both?

OK oKok , I can't help myself from this thread... after backpacking thru India recently there's only 2 real criteria for authenticity...

OK 3.. and the one place that fits the bill is little India Sweets on 49th and Main for the vegetarian buffet

Best post ever. :wink::raz: I love the list mzungu.

A.

Claiming Vij's is the best Indian food in the city is akin to saying Wild Rice is the best Chinese.

Ummm, Keith? Nobody has said that Vij's was the best Indian food in the city ... just that they didn't want it included in any suggestions. nwyles is the only one here to have even implied that Vij's was the best Indian. canucklehead even went so far as to say that Vij's wasn't even "authentic" Indian, refering to the French-influence Lamb Popsicles. I doubt even Vikram (my words not his) would say his food is "authentic."

Is it good? Damn straight!

A.

Ok , I know it has only been a short time between the big rumble in Gastown, but it sounds like "people" are aching for a scrap !

I did try and clarify my position on another thread.

Although I think Sam might have had a dig in my direction in the Indian food thread. Truth be known, I was never really fond of Indian food and my wife had to drag me to Vij's ( kicking and screaming, whimpering like a little baby....) Glad she did.

Now, here is another bold statement, one that is rarely seen anywhere. Chefs, like three year olds, do not really share well, and can not play in the same sandbox together.

Chef Brian Fowke actually shared his curry recipe with me and I have made it a few times and it is really good.

Is that a case of the "blind leading the blind" ? The caucasian chefs sharing a curry recipe.

Enough of that ! I have been doing myself a dis-service and will attend to restaurant that comes out on top of this impromptu survey.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Will someone here try the India Grill on the North side of W. 4th just off of Burrard for me? I've been a few times and sometimes get takeout from there and am wondering how it fairs to other Indian food in the city? I don't think it is anything great, but serves the cravings and is close by. Please let me know what you think. (P.S. the butter chicken seems sour to me.)

Most of the other restaurants mentioned in these posts I have been to and I also found them just okay...nothing wowed me though. (Rubina, Tandori King, Maurya's, Dosa Hut, Akbar's Own)

I have to agree that the best Indian food I've had is by someone who brought their home cooking to work to share.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I think Mr. Vikram Vij has got to the point, in this town, where he could sell just about anything and most of us would marvel at his warm hospitality. I think he is just a smart, smart business head. Rangoli is more proof. I think a lot of us just want to look into his lovely eyes and see his pressed togethr hands and feel recognized. Without any comment on the sincerity of his gesture, i've never seen anybody comment on the possibility that he just seems to know what many of us want him to perform.

I agree with Sam that Vij's, especially on a friday or saturday pm, is pretty pretentious. It is south granville. I have also found the servers to be a little too false, cold and skinny. [bring me the servers who know about the food beyond what they have memorized.] It is south granville.

But evrytime i walk away from that place i'm always like, 'damn, that man is smart'.

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

3) the ability for food poisoning.... hmmm.. Ok nevermind (what's an Indian dietary experience without some Delhi belly the first time... you will get it. trust me. our North American stomachs need the initial jolt to acclimitize... just be glad you don't get Calcutta belly... ugh....

I admit, the only reason I haven't had Indian food in the past few years is because I spent a night at the hospital after a particularly nasty food poisoning episode after eating at an Indian restaurant. I used to love Indian food, and I still eat samosas sometimes, but I haven't had butter chicken for years! Ohhh the memories....

Butter chicken is such a delicious dish though, and I think I should be ready to start afresh at some of the Indian restaurants in this thread.

I thought the same thing Cardamom, I didn't realize everyone but me has been to India.

For what it's worth, in my experience when you ask an Indian where the best Indian food is, they'll uniformly reply something about Grandma or Mom. For whatever reason, the Indian community doesn't think that highly of local Indian restaurants.

Based on nothing but my own tatstes, I like Maurya.

I agree with you Keith, I used to work with 2 lovely ladies from Bombay, have lived in Vancouver for 15 years and this still cannot come up with a authentic and clean Indian restaurant. Compared with their own and their familys cooking nothing comes in comparison, and i have to say I agree. Their Indian food is like nothing I have had in a restaurant. Actually if anyone wants a great Butter Chicken recipe passed on from great grandmothers, i can pm you. One place my friend said is there a butcher on 51st and Fraser and called Fraserview meats, and they have the best tandorri chicken (which i use with the butter chicken) it is a family shop that is very friendly and very clean. The only weird thing is that is shares with a video shop :huh: Also Tandorri King (??) on Commercial is good and they both said the best Naan in the city, and i have to agree. I would love to find a good Indian restaurant. I grew up in Australia and with the english influence the Indian food was good and plentiful, my mum would order take out every Friday night as it was a none cook night ...

I do like Maurya and Vijs, but lookin for home cookin

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I'm not sure that Vikram Vij or Tojo are the greatest thing since sliced Naan but ask the average Vancouver foodie and I think you would find that they worship the ground they walk on. Is that the kind of opinion I expect to read on this cutting edge forum? I hope not.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I gave in to my craving for samosas and headed to the Himalaya and grabbed a half dozen...I'm not sure if there's going to be any left for my hubby at this point - the pastry is so tender!!!

I have to agree that most of the best indian food is home cooking, but have any of you tried the local temples?? We had some friends who told us, if we wanted really good indian food, go to the temples as they serve a great vegetarian meal. I can't remember which one, as this conversation took place over a year ago over some really decent dosas at Quilon in Richmond.

I think Mr. Vikram Vij has got to the point, in this town,  where he could sell just about anything and most of us would marvel at his warm hospitality.  I think he is just a smart, smart business head.  Rangoli is more proof. I think a lot of us just want to look into his lovely eyes and see his pressed togethr hands and feel recognized. Without any comment on the sincerity of his gesture, i've never seen anybody comment on the possibility that he just seems to know what many of us want him to perform. 

I agree with Sam that Vij's, especially on a friday or saturday pm, is pretty pretentious. It is south granville.  I have also found the servers to be a little too false, cold and skinny. [bring me the servers who know about the food beyond what they have memorized.] It is south granville.

But evrytime i walk away from that place i'm always like, 'damn, that man is smart'. 

3WC

To smart, I would add "very hard working".

Interesting discussion. How is it that a number of literate people, present company excepted, could interpret Eric's topic headline so completely differently—180° opposite, in fact. I took it to mean—“Of course Vij’s is a good restaurant—what are the others out there?” I also took it to mean that there was a desire to access “authentic” Indian restaurants, because it could be argued that halibut curry is not necessarily a staple of the sub-continent.

To others’ postings of favourite Indian restaurants, and in addition to Vij’s and Rangoli, I would add my own:

Akbar’s Own

All India Sweets

Annapurna

Ashiana Tandoori

Da Tandoor

Del-Hi Darbar

India Grill

Maurya

Nooru Mahal

Planet Veg

Rubina Tandoori (where Krishna Jamal's lovely plates sing)

And last, the inimitable Velvet Café, which is located in the original Vij’s space.

I am fortunate. For years, our nanny Sajni cooked her native Indian food in our kitchen several times a week. We were soon addicted; my children, upon returning from distant universities, rush for a fix—it’s priority one. And ask several dozen Yellow Cab drivers (as I was forced to in researching an article on Indian cuisine) where they like to eat and they'll look at you as if you were a bit dim. The unsaid answer (as others of you have noted) is at Mum's, for free.

I want to credit Vikram for a number of things: his humanity (after the death of his head cook and her family members in a horrendous car accident), his extraordinary generosity (he has freely offered his services on countless occasions to benefit good causes), and his unwavering dedication to floating all of the boats higher in our culinary community: In addition to being a contributor to Vancouver Cooks and selling more than 250 books himself from his restaurant, he has hosted, gratis, many visiting culinary media and was recently elected President of The Chefs Table of BC, which he has tackled head-on with his usual enthusiasm.

Additionally, he has educated many palates, many of those white, that have now fallen in love with Indian cuisine and are unafraid to venture to other precincts (see above) to try our luck. In that vein, Vij’s has merged not just distant flavours with local ingredients, but also a local style of service (no reservations, very explanatory) that has spelt accessibility. More power to him. Personally, and as a white guy with an Asian name, I like the way he's allowed my palate to be educated (while making it look like it was my idea), to distinguish clear ramps of flavour versus the muddy collision that I used to find. That's because like many of the best kitchens in this city, his line cooks "clean"--distinct, variegated, in profusion and diversity, but always ultimately in that wonderful paradox of complex simplicity.

To that I would credit another innovation to him. Not only are his rooms clean and attractive, he also dared offer the city's first really sensible wine and beer lists. Now quality IPA flows freely, as do solid wine choices that scrum with the spicy food.

There are other icons in the culinary community who have accomplished this same end, i.e. raising the cognizance of formerly “ethnic” cuisines, merging them with mainly local ingredients, and making them accessible, and even stylish and desirable.

I’m sure that you can think of many, but in that group I would certainly include Tojo, the Elvis of sushi, who has morphed Japanese food into a distinctly Vancouver-based approach to raw fish; the Welshman John Bishop, who began by cooking Italian at Il Giardino but who became one of the pioneering proponents of our emergent regional cuisine; and Umberto Menghi, who revolutionized Italian restaurant cookery in this city. There are a legion more here, and even if you wouldn't call their menus strictly "authentic", most would call them delicious.

One last note. I think our city would be much the poorer without Vij’s; he could have as easily chosen Seattle. Vikram Vij, as well as being one of the most charming guys (and, thankfully, sound businessmen) I know, is also one of the most humble. He first established himself on West Broadway where the Velvet Café now sits. He was cook, waiter, busboy and pearl diver. There were all of a dozen seats. He was not licensed and we drank smuggled gewürztraminer from tea cups. I will never forget where he came from and, I suspect, neither will he.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Since you're looking for something new, I thought I'd suggest Palki over on the North Shore. I am a bit unsure of whether it can officially be declared as authentic though. However, the handful of times I've eaten there have always been enjoyable.

BTW I miss the take-out place Rubina had at the food fair on Thurlow. It was a fast and cheap was to get my Butter Chicken fix.

And in regards to the preparation of elephant, Tandoori style is the only way to go. :hmmm: