• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Authentic Indian Cuisine in Vancouver

Do they have a la carte menu items during lunch? Not too keen on buffets. Anyone been there lately--is Maurya still good? Trying to decide between that and Rangoli. Thanks.

hi Ling,

I think I would go with Rangoli. The food is always excellent. If on a sunny day, having a table in the patio facing W. 11th is better than sitting along busy W. Broadway breathing car fumes.

Also, on a side note, a colleague recently sent some hotel guests (an Indian family) to Maurya and they came back with some pretty harsh feedback: "the food was not of a calibre sufficient to feed a dog!" I haven't been to Maurya recently, so cannot confirm this remark. But if you do go, let me know if this is true.

"the food was not of a calibre sufficient to feed a dog!"

They've obviously never met my dogs!

Haven't been to Maurya in about 2 years, but I've often thought that going the buffet route is a sure sign of trouble. The food was really solid last time I was there - more "traditional" than Rangoli, and a really solid wine list.

But I'd still go to Rangoli. Vij's Red Pepper & Portobello Mushroom Curry on Paneer is one of my all time favorite dishes. And Shelly's right, the air is cleaner at Granville & 11th. I think they have it trucked in. :rolleyes:

A.

I went to Maurya for the first time a few weeks & liked it, but I know next to nothing about Indian food so I guess it's not saying much. The service also seemed a bit off - it seemed as though the young servers were more used to serving at, say, Milestone's or Earl's. The manager (? the Indian guy who greeted us at the door and served us our food), however, was wonderful.

I too, would suggest Rangoli. I haven't been there yet, but it's definitely on my "to try" list. I sent my friend to Vij's with a visitor from Missouri, and they loved it.

Rubina is closing? Drat. I used to live in East Van and would make a montly pilgrimmage to Rubina. The staff were so knowledgeable every trip was an education.

Someone mentioned Palki in North Van. Yes, it's pretty good. The best Indian take out I've had comes from Mother India, also in North Van though I believe they have another outlet in Burnaby on Hastings.

Paul B

• 8 months later...

Is there any consensus on who has the best Tandoori Chicken and Naan bread in the immediate Vancouver area?

Now that Rubina is gone there is Ashianna, Tandoori King (which one of the two is better?), Da Tandoor and Tandoori Palace.

I gotta say that the EGullet class on making your own Tandoori chicken looks pretty tempting but with family coming to town who want Tandoori (some for the first time) I need to find a classic place that has that amazing fresh from the oven Naan bread.

I haven't been there in a while, but Al Watan on Fraser is a Pakistani halal place that had excellent tandoori chicken and fresh naan. It is low on atmosphere (hole in the wall), but the food was excellent. It has been more than 6 months since I've been there though, and I heard there was some sort of ownership change. So maybe someone is more current on it?

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

I'm not exactly an Indian food expert, but we absolutely love the garlic naan at Akbar's Own. With a side of their chunky mango chutney, delicious.

Disclaimer: they are a client of mine. It's like, one small ad a year, but still. I've disclaimed.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I'm not exactly an Indian food expert, but we absolutely love the garlic naan at Akbar's Own.  With a side of their chunky mango chutney, delicious. 

Disclaimer: they are a client of mine.  It's like, one small ad a year, but still.  I've disclaimed.

Thanks for that but I need the Tandoori oven and I don't think Akbar has one. The chicken with the Naan from the oven is the combo I'm dying for. There is absolutely nothing like fresh from the T. oven Naan!

Speaking of Naan that's the one thing I find lacking at Vij's. It is an obvious reheat of purchased Naan and never comes close.

Speaking of Naan that's the one thing I find lacking at Vij's. It is an obvious reheat of purchased Naan and never comes close.

Hmmm, that's strange. I took a cooking class at Vij. In the kitchen were trays filled with balls of fresh dough for Naan. We were shown the technique (it's tougher than it looks) and made our own.

Hmmm, that's strange. I took a cooking class at Vij. In the kitchen were trays filled with balls of fresh dough for Naan. We were shown the technique (it's tougher than it looks) and made our own.

OK, my apologies, I stand corrected on them being purchased but the fact remains that they are nowhere near the quality of fresh from the oven Naan that you get in a restaurant with a Tandoori oven.

Vij's taste like they have been made for a while and reheated and they are adequate for the purpose they serve I guess. This may be a minor point to make about a restaurant that excutes so well at such a high level but once you've tried the best version of these breads anything else tastes like storebought.