• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Ideas

Varmint

i'd cook outside "cowboy style" and tell the kids to like it..........

damn right..........

cast iron, gas burners, pots of stew, chilli, soups..........

some great bread.......

paper plates/ bowls, and a big garbage barrel to put it all in.........

i don't know if this was a good answer or not, but i would make the most of the adventure.....

A very tasty pasta recipe we eat quite frequently that is very simple: Nigella's Lemon Linguine

Linguine, egg yolks, heavy cream, parmesan, lemon juice & zest, butter, s & p. flat leaf parsley.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I should know how to do the brown butter sauce, but don't.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step?

Butter, cold pan. Medium-low heat - the butter will melt, then foam, then settle down. It's brown butter when it's fragrant, uniformly nutty-looking and there are speckly bits of darker (but not dark!) carmelized milk solids precipitated out to the bottom. Go darker, and it's beurre noir - go darker, and it's burned and non-tasty.

Was that the question?

Edit: Masculine, feminine, who cares :angry:

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Slight variation - finely chop up the stalks of 'normal' broccoli, retaining the florets. saute in Evoo with garlic and chilli, add vermouth or white wine and bubble down. Cook the pasta, throwing in the broccoli for the last few minutes. Add grated parmesan to the 'sauce' and toss with the pasta and broccoli.

Good ideas Carlovski.

Your post reminded me another dish I make quite a bit-- broccoli and anchovy.

Similiar to what you post above, but with anchovy added. Mince anchovy, garlic, dried red pepper together, sautee in olive oil. Add in par boiled broccoli and sautee a bit longer. Drain pasta, add in to marry wtih sauce a bit. Add some pasta water if wanted. Serve with pecorino. Orecchiette pasta works well for this.

(I cut up the broccoli stems and florets pretty small for this).

edited to add: for an extra savory element and pork substitute: anchovy! (won't work in all cases of course).

Yep - I add Anchovy too sometimes (Then again I do love the little things!)

I actually had this twice at the weekend (I bought a huge bunch of purple sprouting broccoli!). Once with Anchovy, once without.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 11 years later...

I alternate between shrimp with pasta and an olive oil, caper, parsley and olive sauce and shrimp with Asian noodles and a sauce with hoisin, water, sesame oil, black beans and Xiaoxing wine for Johnnybird.

Yesterday I made a cold tricolor pasta salad with olives, scallions, sundried tomatoes in oil and dressed with an Italian vinaigrette with poached shrimp on top.

For me I made some bucatini and had it with some thin sliced chicken breasts that I seared and finished in the oven with some marinara sauce and some aged provolone.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

One of my very favorite ways with pasta is quite simple.

It calls for a pound of good fresh wild shrimp, a 1/4 pound stick of butter, several garlic cloves minced or crushed to taste, a pound of white button mushrooms, a pound of good spaghetti, a dusting of flatleaf parsley to finish and... Parmesan cheese. Sorry hardcore, no fish with cheese Italians, but this is delicious.

Wash/brush off, dry and thinly slice mushrooms. Peel and devein shrimp and keep refrigerated until use. Start the pasta water during prep.

1. Melt 2 T butter in a 12" skillet, and stir in 1/4 of the minced or crushed garlic you are using. Let it get fragrant and blond then add half the mushrooms. Saute until the liquid evaporates and you start getting some browning. Remove contents of skillet and keep warm.

2. Melt 2 T butter in same skillet, and repeat all the steps in 1.

3. Add spaghetti to boiling pasta water and set timer.

4. Melt 2 T butter, 1/4 of the garlic you are using and let it get fragrant and blond. Add half your peeled shrimp. Stir fry just until pink. Don't overcook, and remove to the container with the mushrooms and keep warm.

5. Repeat exactly step 4. with the remaining 1/2 pound shrimp.

About this time, your spaghetti should be cooked to al dente. Drain it, but not too well, and reserve a bit of pasta water in case you would like your sauce a bit looser. Add the cooked shrimp and mushrooms and stir it all up with a little grated Parm. Serve in heated plates or pasta bowls and top with more Parm and a little finely chopped Italian parsley.

The original recipe feeds a lot of people. I usually halve it for the two of us, and it's even easier, because you can cook all the mushrooms at one go and the shrimp in another separate go. Still with us two old folks we have leftovers, which are wonderful.

A roommate I had in my twenties made this for my birthday one year, and I have always remembered it and keep it in the rotation when I can afford good shrimp.

I have caught more than one person sneaking down to the refrigerator for a midnight snack of this dish as soon as they had more stomach room. Not me of course. :$ 9_9 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <