• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: '99 Dashe Todd bros Zin and an o cheap Rioja

Redwinger

1999 Dashe Zinfandel, Todd Bros. Ranch, Alex Valley (15%)

I’ve been rummaging about in the cellar trying to find/identify wines that need to be drank up. During that process I ran across this wine. Based upon my last tasting 3 years ago, I figured it would hold on for at least a few more years but NJ and I were in the mood for a Zin and this one was always a pleaser for us.

Still a dark purple color with no fade. The nose is still black fruit, but the jammy aspect I recall has subsided. A nice soft cocoa/mocha/chocolate profile fills in the aroma. There is a bit of heat on the nose which is just slightly distracting, but NJ didn’t seem to notice, or be bothered by it. On the palate, the wine has shed most the sweetness of its’ youth, the tannins are approaching the point where they are nearly fully resolved and the briary features I noticed in previous bottles is not longer in the forefront. Solid pepper/spice follow. Fortunately, the heat on the nose did not carry forward to the palate. If you have any of these there’s no need to rush out and drink them up, but I am unsure that additional patience will yield greater rewards. About $24 IIRC.

1994 Marques de Caceres, Rioja (12.5%)

I found this orphan while rummaging around in the cellar and figured I better give it a go. I was expecting this cheapy Rioja to be well past its’ prime, so had a backup bottle just in case. The label mentions this is a “The Wine Spectator Critics’ Choice Award Winner” and I suspect that had something to do with my original purchase decision.

Just a hint of fade on the rim. The forward fruit, tannins and earthy saddle leather exhibited during the first few years have pretty well integrated, although there is enough remaining funk to remind you that you are drinking Rioja afterall. Went well with a simple weeknight meal of grilled pork chops, tomato rice and homemade rolls. The wine was a very pleasant surprise, but I’d recommend drinking them if you got them.

QuiltBoy

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"