• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ro-Tel Tomatoes

snowangel

There are several items in my kitchen which are must-haves. Pasta. Olive Oil. Canned tomatoes. Tuna packed in olive oil. A shelf of mustard. Salt-packed anchovies and capers.

And, Those Cans Of Ro-Tel.

Saturday, we had tortilla chips. Diana, wanting a quick salsa fix, doctored a can of Ro-Tel.

Sunday, in honor of not watching the super bowl game, Peter wanted some kind of cheezy dip with the remainder of the tortilla chips. Cheese and Ro-Tel.

Last night, needed a one dish dinner, due to schedules. Tortillas, the rest of my smoked butt, cheese, some beans I'd cooked with the smoky, meaty bone of said smoked butt, a handful of frozen corn. Topped with a can of Re-Tel.

Tonight, another catch-as-can dinner, everyone eating in shifts. A soup of beef stock, beefy bits, the veg that was needing to be used. A handful of noodles. It needed something. Ro-Tel to the rescue.

We will add them to a pot of chili pretty darned soon.

Agumentation in a can, Diana and I decided tonight. We think we need a case of cans in the pantry.

So, do you use Ro-Tel, and if so, do provide additional ideas.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My mother's "friend" Nick, who is from Texas, is a major consumer of Ro*Tel (the product originated in Elsa, Texas). I believe he favors the Extra Hot Diced Tomatoes & Chile Peppers formulation. The combination with Velveeta is something that has been presented to me on several occasions, and it's pretty tasty as a dip for tortilla chips absentmindedly consumed while watching television.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rotel's Tomatoes and Green Chilies is great for a quick and dirty chili for hot dogs or chili cheeseburgers when you don't want to do the full blown deal. Far, far better than the crap in the stores that is mostly fat and whatever they could scape up off the floor during cleaning :raz:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

No self-respecting Texas cook is without several cans of Ro-tel in the pantry!

There is always the classic King Ranch Casserole, and it makes excellent huevos rancheros.

For the husbands poker parties, I make the usual Velveeta queso with the addition of browned spicy sausage and scallions. Will keep in a crockpot all night.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Quick and easy dinner for us is a can of black beans, rinsed, a can of Rotel, undrained, some cumin, salt, and maybe some garlic powder... cook for 15 minutes while your rice cooks. Black beans and rice. Mmmm.

I sneak a can in my spagetti sauce...followed my mom's recipe when I was first married (she was Irish, but cooked the best spagetti, ever) and when it called for canned tomatoes, I threw in ro-tel not knowing any better. It was different, but still pretty good so I moderated it to have just the one can for a little kick. It is a pantry staple.

I just tried the venerable Ro Tel and Velveeta for the first time, in the microwave, and the cheese (if you can call Velveeta "cheese") broke!  Any tips for making this next time?

Hum....never heard of this before. Did you stir? How much cheese to one can of Ro-Tel?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A friend of mine in Texas mailed me a couple of cans of RoTel, and dare i say it - I found it bland. It just tasted like diced tomatoes to me. I could see some peppers in it, but I couldn't taste them.

I doctor mac n cheese by putting in some jarred salsa (Chi-chi's Hot).

A friend of mine in Texas mailed me a couple of cans of RoTel, and dare i say it - I found it bland. It just tasted like diced tomatoes to me. I could see some peppers in it, but I couldn't taste them.

You are spot on on that, it is not spicy at all if you have a taste for spicy food. Add 3 or 4 chopped pickled jalapeños and it's a whole new ballgame :biggrin:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

There are several varieties of Ro-Tel. Some are much hotter than others.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have been known to dump a can or two onto a pot roast.

Add a can to a bean soup.

BTW . . . Get the hot stuff. They have dumbed down varieties out there now.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I just tried the venerable Ro Tel and Velveeta for the first time, in the microwave, and the cheese (if you can call Velveeta "cheese") broke!  Any tips for making this next time?

Hum....never heard of this before. Did you stir? How much cheese to one can of Ro-Tel?

Also was it low-fat Velvetta?

We unintentionally stumbled across this stuff recently, and it totally screwed our 'trailer park' au gratin potatoes.

You also may have mistaken the 'breaking' as the liquid from the tomatoes separating out from the cheese.

Make sure your can of tomatoes is very well-drained, smash down the lid and all - - extract as much liquid as possible before adding to the cheese.

Another way to avoid this is to melt the cheese alone and add the well-drained, room-temp tomatoes afterwards - in addition to making the cheese cool enough to eat it does not get as soupy.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

The first time I used them was when the woman I ordered crawfish and turtle meat out of Louisianna gave me a recipe for crawfish etouffe with them and it was great. Since then I'll use them in a variety of dishes and always keep a few cans on hand.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

There are several varieties of Ro-Tel.  Some are much hotter than others.

Ro*Tel Tomato Varieties.

But what variety of tomatoes are used to make these products?

As a Brit living in Canada who has lived in the U.S. a long time ago, I must confess I've never heard of the brand.

edit:

But as well I don't understand what they are. Whuzza?

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Some background info on the TexMex roots of Ro*Tel.

edited to add: this link also has a slew of recipes using Ro*Tel tomatoes...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Make sure your can of tomatoes is very well-drained, smash down the lid and all - - extract as much liquid as possible before adding to the cheese.

Well, this bit is news to me. As someone who has been eating "queso" (short for "chile con queso," which is what us Texans call the Velveeta/Ro-Tel concoction) for literally decades, I've never drained the tomatoes, nor has anyone else that I've ever watched make it. Which is a LOT of people.

The pre-microwave way was to chunk up the Velveeta into a saucepan, and then dump the Ro-Tel into it, juice and all. You need the juice to get the queso to the right dipping or pouring consistancy. You just have to stir, and keep stirring.

Now, many of us Texicans do it in the microwave, but everyone I've ever seen make it treasures that Ro-Tel juice.

So now I'm worried. Do most of y'all drain? :huh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't drain. I think the culprit may be the microwave, or the way it is used. When you do it the traditional way on the stove top, it is over low heat and you stir. You can't put the concoction in the microwave, nuke it on high and walk off. You end up with uncombined glop. If you must use the darn thing, don't go any higher than 50% and stop every 30 seconds or so and stir.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose