• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not-so-Bloody Mary

cybrus

I love the concept of the bloody mary and I really like all of the ingredients except for one - the tomato juice. I've also tried V8 and Clamato with only slightly better results. So, I'm looking for a good drink recipe that is similar to a bloody mary but with something besides tomato juice. I really like the spicy aspect - especially the horseradish. I'm pretty open to trying just about anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

I love the concept of the bloody mary and I really like all of the ingredients except for one - the tomato juice. I've also tried V8 and Clamato with only slightly better results. So, I'm looking for a good drink recipe that is similar to a bloody mary but with something besides tomato juice. I really like the spicy aspect - especially the horseradish. I'm pretty open to trying just about anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hot sauce?

Prolly get the same viscosity with a homemade variation of hot sauce using a mix of jalapeno and red bell peppers, carrots, water, and apple cider vinegar. Depending on how hot you like it you can balance it accordingly.

Conceptually I can't think of any drink like a bloody mary. And thank goodness for bloody mary's - it's the only way to fly.

of course if you have a juicer your options open up for similar consistency drinks... I wonder how a cellery based mary would taste....