• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations

nashman1975

All

Follow the scene along with you guys for quite some time and read the Post food chat. I am at a loss on this request b/c I usually don't need to feed this many mouths, but here goes: Need a recommendation for a restaurant in Dupont Circle or G-Town (or maybe Penn 1/4) that takes reservations for 11 people on Friday nite. We were thinking Zatinya but know it doesn't take reservations. Made reservations at La Tasca (in Clarendon)--saw crappy reviews (here and elsewhere)--so are reconsidering.

Price range per person (drinks and all) $40 and cuisine is wide open.

Thanks

Nashman

"Me fail English...that's unpossible"

Marge: What's brunch?

Jacques: You'll love it. It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would get at breakfast, but you get a good meal.

Wow.  11 people, huh?  What about David Gregory?  Friends were recently there and loved the food.

I think David Greggory might be outside the price range. And the one time I ate there I was disappointed. With $40/head wine tax and tip, we are treading on cheap eats territory which is hard to do in the dupont circle, G'town neighborhoods.

Let's up the $40 then--and people aren't big drinkers--if at all really...let's say 50/60 a person...my bad--realized it after the fact that seemed a bit light. The problem seems to be the 11 peeps (we've been bouncing around Zola and the Tunks chain, I know not DC or GT--but still great places).

Thx

"Me fail English...that's unpossible"

Marge: What's brunch?

Jacques: You'll love it. It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would get at breakfast, but you get a good meal.

You could do pizza at Sette, which is at the corner of Conn. Ave. and R Street in Dupont...

No reservations, though. And tough to get 11 people in any time.

I've been in larger groups that reserved space at Bistro du Coin -- upstairs in the balcony area near the bathrooms. The right price. But talk about mixed reviews...

Greek? Mourayo? I've only been there once, not bad. And they usually seem to have room.

Any early reports on 21P? Do you do ethnic? Sala Thai? Pesce might fit 11, I doubt Jonny's would -- I'm not sure they take reservations. But can you get 11 people to eat only fish?

Truth is I work in thet neighborhood and I've always thought there were fewer good restaurants than there should be.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

21P has a semi private room off the main dining room...they might be able to fit you in.

Four of us ate there on Friday night - with drinks and apps - for under $50 a head.

Edited by MelGold (log)

You could do pizza at Sette, which is at the corner of Conn. Ave. and R Street in Dupont...

Truth is I work in thet neighborhood and I've always thought there were fewer good restaurants than there should be.

I definitely agree. Everytime I try to plan a group night out, it's a struggle.

Firefly is great, but tough for groups without notice (to secure the back room).

Wow.  11 people, huh?  What about David Gregory?  Friends were recently there and loved the food.

I think David Greggory might be outside the price range. And the one time I ate there I was disappointed. With $40/head wine tax and tip, we are treading on cheap eats territory which is hard to do in the dupont circle, G'town neighborhoods.

Hmm. I don't drink so I apologize that I was doing this on food costs alone!

Really? Sorry to hear that!

Call Penang and see if they'll take reservations. The decor's pretty nice in there and alot of people I know like the food. Personally, I think it's not as good as the ones up in NYC - it's still good food but not as authentic.

I can't believe no one has said anything about La Tasca yet:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

From the original post:

Made reservations at La Tasca (in Clarendon)--saw crappy reviews (here and elsewhere)--so are reconsidering.

But if that is the only place that can give you a reservation....

But perhaps the fact that it is the only place that can give you a reservation tells you something.

How about Speize in the Dupont Circle area....moderately priced Italian, nice front bar area...I haven't been in 3 plus years but I remember having a pretty good meal there (others chime in if the qulaity has gone down hill). I also remember them having a small glass enclosed dining area in the back of the dining room for larger parties.

How about Speize in the Dupont Circle area....moderately priced Italian, nice front bar area...I haven't been in 3 plus years  but I remember having a pretty good meal there (others chime in if the qulaity has gone down hill).  I also remember them having a small glass enclosed dining area in the back of the dining room for larger parties.

And you can book a table for 11 at OpenTable.com.

Mendocino Grille may be able to accomodate, but you should ask if they can do it within your price preference. Click

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode