• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cincinnati Chili

jogoode

I heard a rumor that a New York restaurant -- possibly a place called Edward's -- has a monthly Cincinnati chili event. Has anyone heard about it?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Whats cinci chili.. Chocolate in it?  I also think there might be some rice in there too..

Chocolate!?

Two, three, four and five ways.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Whats cinci chili.. Chocolate in it?  I also think there might be some rice in there too..

Chocolate!?

Yum - memories :raz: My mom is from just outside Cincinnati, and I remember trips to Skyline when we'd go to visit her family.

Coincidentally, I just made my family's Cinci chili recipe for a Super Bowl party! We've doctored the spices a little & use steak cubes but it's still the same animal, handed down from my grandmother. There is nothing better than a big bowl of CC on top of spaghetti with some shredded cheese :wub:

The chocolate confusion might be because it's a little sweeter than Texas/southern chili. Mine uses sugar, also allspice and cumin (among other things).

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Chocolate!?

Yum - memories :raz: My mom is from just outside Cincinnati, and I remember trips to Skyline when we'd go to visit her family.

Coincidentally, I just made my family's Cinci chili recipe for a Super Bowl party! We've doctored the spices a little & use steak cubes but it's still the same animal, handed down from my grandmother. There is nothing better than a big bowl of CC on top of spaghetti with some shredded cheese :wub:

The chocolate confusion might be because it's a little sweeter than Texas/southern chili. Mine uses sugar, also allspice and cumin (among other things).

I have done several web searches and the majority of the recipes for cinccinati chilis have chocolate in them..

Alot of them have a 1/2 oz of chocolate to 2lbs of meat.

I heard a rumor that a New York restaurant -- possibly a place called Edward's -- has a monthly Cincinnati chili event. Has anyone heard about it?

It is called Edward's... forget the Skyline, I'm going for Montgomery Inn Ribs! The the event is this week (Monday and Thursday for the UC v. Xavier game). Info from the promo email listed below:

9th & 10th CINCINNATI NIGHT AT EDWARD'S

EDWARD'S, a neighborhood bistro, at 136 West Broadway in Tribeca, New York City, would like to announce our 9th and 10th Cincinnati Night with SKYLINE CHILI, MONTGOMERY INN RIBS & PULLED PORK SANDWICHES, LAROSA'S PIZZA and, of course, GRAETERS ICE CREAM!

Cincinnati Night will be Monday, February 7, 2005 from 5 PM until Midnight and Thursday, February 10, 2005 from 5 PM until Midnight, showing the UC vs Xavier Cross-town Shootout on our large projection screen TV at 9 PM.

Edward's restaurant is owned by Edward Youkilis, from Cincinnati and the manager, Seth Workman, is also from Cincinnati. Several others working at Edward's are from the Tri-Sate area so it seemed natural to serve Cincinnati food here!

Please reserve a table at 6:00, 7:30 or after 9 PM.

Don't forget our regular menu is also available with the Cincinnati specials.

For more information and for reservations please call Edward or Seth at 212.233.6436.

Cincinatti chili is a unique style in a sense that it is served over pasta. The leader in that genre is Skyline Chili:

http://www.skylinechili.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My memory was that Cincinnati chil = Cinnamon and Cloves (allspice I think often substitutes for that). I think it's correct, and this link kind of supports that. Plus the whole 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, 5-way thing. Oh yeah... and the insistence on Oyster Crackers. Also, Vinegar is usually key too, isn't it?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My memory was that Cincinnati chil = Cinnamon and Cloves (allspice I think often substitutes for that).  I think it's correct, and this link kind of supports that.  Plus the whole 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, 5-way thing.  Oh yeah... and the insistence on Oyster Crackers.  Also, Vinegar is usually key too, isn't it?

That fits my understanding (though I seem to remember cinnamon + cloves + allspice). It's also thin: more like a sauce than like chunk-style Texas chili. I'm not a fan; I think you may have to have grown up with it...

Cincinnati Chili recipes frequently do utilize unsweetened chocolate/cocoa powder.

Cinnamon, allspice and cloves are present in a variety of combinations of any one or all. Also you will find Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and vinegar.

It is more like a thick sauce (since that is it's primary use) rather than the traditional soup or stew-like chili.

I can offer no empirical evidence in regards to chocolate/cocoa use other than to say look at a few recipes, and that's what you'll find.

There is also this article in the Cincinnati Post which makes a slight reference at the end of the article in regards to people suspecting chocolate being in Skyline's recipe:

click here for article on Nicholas Lambrinides, the founder of Skyline.

A couple times a year I make a big batch of Cincy Chili to eat for about a week. I enjoy it - and I think more people unfamilar with it would as well if were not called 'chili'.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.