• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

weekend in DC

NikiF

My hubby and I will be in DC this weekend, up from Raleigh. The first night we know we are doing sushi...mmmmmmmmm. But I am still looking for a place on Saturday. Something the locals would suggest that is tasty and interesting yet reasonably priced (meaning we could get out the door for under $100 with drinks).

WE do eat seafood but no meat (beef, poultry, pork).

Any suggestions? Thanks :) :cool:

My hubby and I will be in DC this weekend, up from Raleigh.  The first night we know we are doing sushi...mmmmmmmmm.  But I am still looking for a place on Saturday.  Something the locals would suggest that is tasty and interesting yet reasonably priced (meaning we could get out the door for under $100 with drinks). 

Try Pesce or Johnny's Half Shell on P St. in Dupont Circle.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

We are staying at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Ave. The location does not need to be in the immediate vicinity but I would prefer something within a 10 minute cab ride at most. We prefer to walk the city but would be willing to ride for the right place.

We tend to go more casual but would certainly go a little more upidy, but not super swank. A lively crowd is also fine as long as its not TOO lively. I'm not too picky am I? :wink:

My hubby and I will be in DC this weekend, up from Raleigh.  The first night we know we are doing sushi...mmmmmmmmm.  But I am still looking for a place on Saturday.  Something the locals would suggest that is tasty and interesting yet reasonably priced (meaning we could get out the door for under $100 with drinks). 

Try Pesce or Johnny's Half Shell on P St. in Dupont Circle.

Edited by NikiF (log)

Oceanaire Seafood Room is right around the corner, though it's apparently a chain and reviews, while generally positive, are mixed.

I'm a big fan of Pesce, which is within a 10-minute cab ride or two stops down the Red (subway) line, which runs very near your hotel. It's almost a long walk if it's a nice day; and there's plenty of places to stop for a refreshment if you tire along the way.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

How about TenPenh? Walking distance of the hotel, good seafood, and a nice lively atmosphere. Might be pushing it budget-wise but you could look up a menu online & see...

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

I totally agree with the previous comments about Ten Penh, DC Coast and Ceiba. They all would be excellent suggestions as would the Old Ebbitt Grill which would also fall within your budget. The area around 14th and PA is beautiful and exciting. Just walking down the street and seeing Washington in this area will be a real highlight of your trip. Also, give serious consideration to having a drink on the "roof" of the Hotel Washington at 15th & PA. The view is awesome! And, respectfully, unless you don't drink at all, raise your $100 limit to $150 at many restaurants. With $25 to 28 entrees in most places, appetizers, 9.5% sales tax, etc. D. C. adds up. For Italian you may want to consider Tosca at 11th & F, a couple of blocks away. If seafood is a priority than Kinkead's at 20th and PA. although reservations on short notice can be difficult. The latter two are exemplery and will deliver experiences you won't find in Raleigh.

Enjoy D. C. This is one of the most beautiful cities anywhere.

WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Looking at the various web sites linked in here I LOVE the menu at Ceiba! I think the hubby will too!

Thank you again for all the help. I can't wait for Friday.

Niki