• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Texas chili

bobmac

I'm gonna brown this week. If I like the flavors in the recipe, I'll braise

the meat next week and make another batch. I'm going to follow the braising class that starts monday, so that'll be right in line with that. It'll be tomorrow before I can report, I really have my hopes up cause I love Tyler Florence (pretty food, pretty guy!)

I frequently make a sort of ersatz chili with ground beef and beans because it's quick and easy. Now I plan an authentic Texas version -- no beans and am wondering what usually accompanies it since there is no vegetable.

If you're going to make REAL Texas chili, you can start by not grabbing the ground beef... but, I usually make some Texas corn bread to go with mine. To make it right, it costs as much as the chili ingredients to make it and it weighs more.

Edited by Jack Tyler (log)

The Real Kitchen recipe was good, better the next day. The chocolate was perfect. I did brown the meat first, I know it did not detract from the recipe and I'm sure it added flavor. I toasted some of the spices and that put it a little over the top at first, but it mellowed after a day. Next is the Larry/Steve white chili in the interest of education...and I think my kids will like it better!

Until I tried "Work In Progress Chili" the following recipe was the family favorite. I saw the original in Southern Lining some years ago and tweaked it as usual. This is the final version that "stuck." I have even mixed up the spice mixture and mailed it to my son or daughter since, unless you have an extensive spice cabinet it would cost a bloody fortune. I have since heard that chili of this type is called Cincinatti Chili. Soes anyone know if that is true?

It certainly isn't Texas Style . . . whatever that is. My dad always swore by the Pedernales Chili recipe that was supposed to be favored at the LBJ ranch. Interestingly enough, the recipe is published in the LBJ Library site here.

Bodacious Chili

Adapted from the recipe in Southern Living

2 lbs chuck in ½” cubes

2 large onions, chopped

3 stalks celery cut in 1” pieces

1 large red bell pepper, chopped

4 jalapenos, seeded and diced

1 cup mushrooms, sliced (Portobellos are really good)

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 T olive oil

Start meat in oil and when beginning to brown add other ingredients.  Continue to cook on medium high until vegetables begin to cook.

Stir in:

3 T cocoa

3 T  ancho chili powder

1 t cayenne or arbol (optional)

1 t ground cumin

2 t cumin seeds

2 t dried Mexican oregano

2 t paprika

1 t ground tumeric

½ t salt

1 t ground cardamom

1 t ground pepper

1 T molasses

3/4 cup red wine

2 cans chopped tomatoes

1 can drained kidney beans

1 can drained garbanzos

Simmer covered for 1 ½ hours.

This stuff may be tasty. Skyline chili is tasty, as are the other 3-way and 4-way chilis from Ohio, but "real Texas chili"? Chocolate, as mentioned (admittedly not sweet) , sounds like either Ohio chili or a concoction attempting to give a mole' flavor to a Texas dish. As one who lived in Ohio for a couple of years, I got used to people throwing chocolate and cinnamon in "chili" (and, yes, B--ns). I now prefer chili's made with the CASI rules of competition. However, it's ALL great tasting... but "real Texas chili"?

Welcome to the Society, Jack. So glad to have you.

Yeah, I agree with what you say about "real Texas chili." But I still like what chocolate does to a bowl. I don't think the chili queens in San Antonio used chocolate. :biggrin: I think that Pedernales chili recipe comes closer but it does have . . . um . . . tomatoes. Could you expound on the CASI rules, please?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Welcome to the eGullet Society Jack, I happen to agree that chili should not be that complicated (not to say made this way is not very tasty). Usually mine has a few ingredients (beef, chili powder, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and stock or water).

I would like to know what CASI rules are well.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

We've kinda agreed that 'white chili' did not meet the criteria, but the man was good engough to post it and I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know if there's been enough discussion about it to warrent it's own thread (I think it's more of a white bean cassarole, but it looks darn good)

Don't those award winning chili's usually have some 'secret' ingredient? I made the Tyler Florence's chili with out the chocolate the first day, but threw it in on day 2. No one was supposed to eat it the first day, I hadn't quite finished it yet, but my sweet husband saw the pot in the fridge and had to try it. said it was 'missing something'. When I finished it I added the chocolate after heating and served after it heated through. Now he says it's perfect. I think the flavors just mellowed and combined overnight and the chocolate (you do not want to know how much I paid for that bar...but it there was an ounce left over so in it went) blended perfectly. I do/did not taste chocolate. There isn't one single thing that pops out...it's a blended thing. very good. Please post those rules, I'd love to know them. Do they apply to just Texas Chili???

Welcome to the Society, Jack. So glad to have you.

Yeah, I agree with what you say about "real Texas chili." But I still like what chocolate does to a bowl. I don't think the chili queens in San Antonio used chocolate. :biggrin: I think that Pedernales chili recipe comes closer but it does have . . . um . . . tomatoes. Could you expound on the CASI rules, please?

To cover the high points, in a competition:

1. No fillers of any kind are allowed. That means beans, rice, hominy, etc.

2. No commercial mixes such as Wick Fowler's, etc. Commercial "Chili Powders ARE allowed.

3. In some cases, a contestant is asked to taste his/her own chili in front of the judges. This one is incredible... but it's like the royal taster, protecting the King.

4. Because we're in Texas, there is absolutely no discharging of firearms allowed. Meat MUST be shot offsite.

5. It is judged on aroma, red color, consistency, taste and aftertaste.

6. Crackers, cheese, celery and grapes are to be supplied to the judges to eat between cups... but don't dare put them in your chili (you can... but don't ecpect to win).

The rules of ingredients have changed radically in the Championship there in Terlingua... people cook snake, possum, TOMATOES, venison, etc... but no beans, dammit.

Edited by Jack Tyler (log)

We've kinda agreed that 'white chili' did not meet the criteria, but the man was good engough to post it and I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know if there's been enough discussion about it to warrent it's own thread (I think it's more of a white bean cassarole, but it looks darn good)

Don't those award winning chili's usually have some 'secret' ingredient? I made the Tyler Florence's chili with out the chocolate the first day, but threw it in on day 2. No one was supposed to eat it the first day, I hadn't quite finished it yet, but my sweet husband saw the pot in the fridge and had to try it. said it was 'missing something'. When I finished it I added the chocolate after heating and served after it heated through. Now he says it's perfect. I think the flavors just mellowed and combined overnight and the chocolate (you do not want to know how much I paid for that bar...but it there was an ounce left over so in it went) blended perfectly. I do/did not taste chocolate. There isn't one single thing that pops out...it's a blended thing. very good. Please post those rules, I'd love to know them. Do they apply to just Texas Chili???

The rules... (and I only posted part of several) are many pages long and only 5-6 relate to ingredients. Most are about exhibiting, judging, submitting samples, cleanliness, killing judges, etc. And they relate to anyone competing in a cookoff sanctioned by the Chili Appreciation Society, International... one of two different worldwide associations.... each claiming to be the ultimate judge of what is and isn't chili.