• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Texas chili

bobmac

I am beginning to wonder if chili is one of those things that continue to evolve. Things changed as to what we ate chili with and on and what we started putting on it. Here is my experience, all in Houston, and to the best of my recollection which may not be all that good. :raz:

50s - Chili was purist. If you got beans they were on the side. The most you might do to it was give it a shot of hot sauce. In restaurants it was most often served with Saltines. At home, mom would make cornbread. In either case, salads on the side were some sort of simple icegerg lettuce affair.

60s - As the Frito pie caught on and we started dumping chili onto Fritos and adding cheese, shredded cheese started showing up to put on your bowl. Maybe in the mid to late 60s was when avocado started showing up in the salad side as well.

70s - New Mexico influences start creeping in. I start seeing more green chiles in the stew and the occasional splash of sour cream sneaks in. Tortillas and tortilla chips are becoming more common.

80s on - Change accelerates. We start adding more toppings as we discover that tradition from the regions of Mexico beyond the border where all sorts of things are on offer for posoles and other stews. Guacamole is becoming a common, almost ubiquitous, option.

Then we start mucking with the chili itself even more. I think that along the way, cornbread was always more common at home but it did start becoming more common in restaurants somewhere along the way. The only problem is, that was in the chains that started popping up and it was usually sweet muffins or some other form. Ewwww!

All of the above may be pure bull cookies but is my recollection of chili in Houston. All I can say is that it is all good. And I am sure it changes basis where you are. For instance, I suspect that as you go east from Houston, folks may have been putting chili on rice for a very long time.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've been asked to add this chili recipe. It was in the eGullet Recipe Database but I guess that's not yet back up and running.

Enjoy.

===================================================

Work In Progress Chili

I've tried numerous "championship" chili recipes but have found none to compare with this one (which I've modified a thousand times!).Competition chili isn’t made for eating but for pleasing the judges. They judge based on color, taste, aftertaste (bite), texture, and aroma. You gotta please THEM, not yourself. Successful competitors do not add beer (bitter) and judges don’t seem to like the taste of masa harina.

2 lbs. chuck roast, cut into bite size pieces (cut as you prefer, but re-heating will break down the meat so it is usually better to start with fairly large chunks). Remove all connective tissue.

All quantities are “to taste”

3 Tbsp. "pure" chili powder, not the supermarket variety.

1 tsp. freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper (to taste)

4 tsp. hot or sweet Hungarian or Spanish paprika

½ to 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper (to taste)

2 tsp. toasted cumin seeds

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 tsp. ground Mexican oregano

Beef stock as needed

1 tsp. MSG (Accent, optional)

1-8 oz. can Hunts tomato sauce, 10 oz. can Old El Paso Green Chili Tomatoes or Ro*Tel tomatoes (your choice)

1 to 2 tsp. salt (to taste)

½ tsp. sugar (counteracts the tomato's acidic bite)

Mexican bitter chocolate (Not too much! It should NOT taste like chocolate.)

Optional:

½ to 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

½ tsp. ground coriander OR ½ tsp. cilantro leaves, minced

1. Brown meat and drain, reserving some of the juices; set aside.

2. Thoroughly mix next 10 ingredients (dry spices) together.

3. Add dry spices to meat and blend well.

4. Caramelize the onion, add garlic, sauté. Add to meat and blend.

5. Add liquid ingredients (tomatoes, water, beef stock (and beer if you prefer). 1-2 cups should be sufficient. Combine thoroughly.

6. Add chocolate.

7. Return meat to a simmer for about 2 hours or until almost done. Let cool then refrigerate overnight.

8. Remove the fat cap then reheat. Taste and adjust the seasonings. You can thicken with regular flour or masa harina (corn flour used to make tortillas). Masa harina will give a decidedly corn taste to the chili. Try it to see if you like it. I do. A couple of tablespoons should be sufficient, but the chili will self-thicken over time.

Notes: Chop more onion and serve on the side. Onions tend to lose their flavor when simmered for extended periods. Grated Cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro may also be served on the side. You can even serve beans on the side. I don’t!!!

If you use beer as part of the cooking liquid, use QUALITY beer, preferably a good Mexican import. Dos Equis, Bohemia, or Negra Modelo might be called for here. Grind all herbs in a mortar or spice grinder, if possible, to release the essential oils and to help them blend into the final product.

Copyright © 1972-2005 Robert Bowen. May be disseminated with proper credit.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I have never had chili on rice anywhere in Louisiana and we are seriously into rice. However, I live in SOUTH Louisiana, which for all practical purposes is another country from North Louisiana. My neighbor says if you put beans in chili, they should be pinto, I always used red, but I like his way better. Another friend has a recipe she says I HAVE to try for white chili. I have no clue what this is, or where it comes from as I've not gotton the recipe from her. I'm having fun imagining what it could be though.

Many thanks to the gracious Bob Bowen for sharing that truly excellent recipe. I have a confession to make. The first time I made it, I didn't grind the cumin seeds but added them whole. I thought it was odd at the time. Then I went back read it again and . . . OOPS! Anyway, on eating the chili, the seeds actually get tender and you get these pleasant bursts of cumin. I haven't ground them since. :biggrin:

If you like cumin, it is a happy accident. I have now used that same concept in other recipes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have never had chili on rice anywhere in Louisiana and we are seriously into rice. However, I live in SOUTH Louisiana, which for all practical purposes is another country from North Louisiana. My neighbor says if you put beans in chili, they should be pinto, I always used red, but I like his way better. Another friend has a recipe she says I HAVE to try for white chili. I have no clue what this is, or where it comes from as I've not gotton the recipe from her. I'm having fun imagining what it could be though.

White chili is made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. No red meat such as pork or beef.

"Pure" chili powder = ground chiles anchos?

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

THW

That is what I have always used. BTW, it is getting hard to find, at least here. Fiesta Mart used to have it in great quantity. Now you are lucky if you can find it in a paltry little cellophane package. I used to buy it by the pound at an herbalist shop across from the "farmer's market" on Airline but I was never sure of how fresh it was. And I don't get over there that often. You can always order it I suppose. But I stubbornly think that I should be able to just buy it at my local grocery. :raz:

I am about to make the next step and do my own. Anchos are easy to get and I have a dehydrator setting on my DeLonghi oven. The other approach is to rehydrate the chiles in hot water and puree them in the blender and use the paste. What I don't know is what the equivalents are to powder. I suppose you could taste as you go.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Isn't North Lousiana (Shreveport) also known as "South Arkansas?"

Isn't North Lousiana (Shreveport) also known as "South Arkansas?"

My husbands family is from around Shreveport and it's just a different culture. I'm sure sometimes they'd rather be part of Arkansas, if only to escape the debauchary (we call it fun) of Mardi Gras. I think it's a religious thing, North La. is pretty much southern baptist and we southerners are pretty much Catholic (heathens, according to my mil). I have no idea how they make their chili though! mil's was always from the back of a packet and mild, to say the least. lousy cook.

edited to add that mil WAS a lousy cook, but did make a hell of a cornbread..go figure.

Edited by highchef (log)

I lived for a time in Asia -- Hong Kong & the Philippines. Chili was actually quite popular there. And they served it in a bowl. Over rice.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

THW

That is what I have always used. BTW, it is getting hard to find, at least here....

I am about to make the next step and do my own. Anchos are easy to get and I have a dehydrator setting on my DeLonghi oven. The other approach is to rehydrate the chiles in hot water and puree them in the blender and use the paste. What I don't know is what the equivalents are to powder. I suppose you could taste as you go.

The best sources around here are the Mexican mercados. They have the ground chiles anchos in plastic bags of moderate size. Also have fairly large bags of dried anchos, but I've wondered if it was worth the trouble. I like my chili pretty hot, and usually end up adding a good dose of cayenne to the chili powder. I tried adding a fresh habanero to the green anchos and jalapeños the last time I made chili, and the heat was good, but there was a sweetish overtone that didn't quite fit. I guess I'll stick with cayenne next time :wacko:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

THW

That is what I have always used. BTW, it is getting hard to find, at least here....

The best sources around here are the Mexican mercados. They have the ground chiles anchos in plastic bags of moderate size. Also have fairly large bags of dried anchos, but I've wondered if it was worth the trouble. I like my chili pretty hot, and usually end up adding a good dose of cayenne to the chili powder. I tried adding a fresh habanero to the green anchos and jalapeños the last time I made chili, and the heat was good, but there was a sweetish overtone that didn't quite fit. I guess I'll stick with cayenne next time :wacko:.

THW

I get my ancho, and other chili powders, at a Penseys store near my office. You can order online here.

White chili is made with any white meat. So can be chicken, turkey or pork. Also, uses clear liquid base (chicken broth or stock, white wine).

South Louisiana is a different place. Spent six years of my youth in Lafayette. Completely messed up my sense of direction since no streets are straight and none travel north-south or east-west. However, best food per square mile.

Edited by LDLee (log)

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

White chili is made with any white meat.  So can be chicken, turkey or pork.  Also, uses clear liquid base (chicken broth or stock, white wine).

South Louisiana is a different place.  Spent six years of my youth in Lafayette.  Completely messed up my sense of direction since no streets are straight and none travel north-south or east-west.  However, best food per square mile.

"I wish I was in Austin, in the Chili Parlor Bar, drinking Mad Dog margaritas, and not caring where you are"  Guy Clark

There was no planning when Lafayette was growing and it really sucks trying to get around. Just remember Johnson St. cause it's the only one that goes anywhere near where I ever need to be. I still can't picture the white chili, I think I'm stuck on how similiar that sounds to my cassolute (sp?)..sans the sausage.

I rehydrate mine in hot water and then run them through a food mill to separate the skins from the pulp (the skins can be bitter....although i've never done a comparison with one batch in the blender and one through the food mill to see just how bitter they are and if it's worth the extra effort). I don't know the exact equivalents either, but this weekend, I made chilorio with the paste from about 8 chile pods to 2 lbs of pork. It was a good amount of chile flavor in the chilorio, but maybe a bit much for chili. I'm going to try the paste from 6 pods to 2 lbs of chili meat this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes :wink:

White chili is made with any white meat.  So can be chicken, turkey or pork.  Also, uses clear liquid base (chicken broth or stock, white wine).

"I wish I was in Austin, in the Chili Parlor Bar, drinking Mad Dog margaritas, and not caring where you are"  Guy Clark

[snip] I still can't picture the white chili, I think I'm stuck on how similiar that sounds to my cassolute (sp?)..sans the sausage.

Ditto for me. White chili sounds like a contradiction in terms. I think maybe that's one of those things that crept in the 80s like Fifi described in the evolution post above. Some things are just best left alone. You want a white "something"? That's fine with me. But it ain't chili :raz:.

THW

I usually adjust the heat using cascabel, cayenne or chipotle. I may also dice fresh jalapeno in there.

It is really fun to do a bare bones chili, basically browned meat, onion, garlic, chile peppers and cumin. Then from the bare bones style really go nutso with toppings. A few years ago I did a big party with Mexican eats. I had a "chili station." It was a basic chili surrounded by bowls of toppings: chopped onion, shredded cheeses, sour cream, Fritos, and some other stuff I don't remember. I don't think I had thought of the cabbage and radishes yet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I thought you guys would enjoy re-visiting Robb Walsh's Q&A. Or, if you haven't seen it I have now dragged it out of The Fridge for you.

Within that Q&A, there is an interesting discussion regarding saltines and other add-ons here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I usually adjust the heat using cascabel, cayenne or chipotle. I may also dice fresh jalapeno in there.

I've never used a cascabel, but I use jalapenños all the time, and chipotles some but less often. How hot is the cascabel? These folks say it's about the same on the Scoville scale as a poblano (or ancho), which to my taste buds isn't very hot.

The bare bones chili sounds like fun. Now all I need is a decent recipe for homemade chili powder :raz:.

THW

We garnished our chili with cheese, onions and fritos.

Our neighbor was a yankee and she made Cincinatti chili. It was (and still is) disgusting to me! I think her chili is why I do not like spaghetti.

My husband's family hails from South Carolina, and he likes his chili served over white rice.

Nowadays, and appetizer of Zantac is ALWAYS served ! :biggrin:

Edited by hazardnc (log)

. . . . .

I've never used a cascabel, but I use jalapenños all the time, and chipotles some but less often.  How hot is the cascabel?  These folks say it's about the same on the Scoville scale as a poblano (or ancho), which to my taste buds isn't very hot.

. . . . .

THW

I don't think the package of powdered cascabel that I had read the chart. :laugh: The package of arbol was right up there, too. Heat can be very variable. I have run into poblanos that scorched my teeth. I start with a base of ancho add and taste from there.

hazardnc, I don't think I could do regular chili on spaghetti. I don't even want to think of that "alternate lifestyle chili" recipe on spaghetti.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

hwilson wrote ' The bare bones chili sounds like fun. Now all I need is a decent recipe for homemade chili powder '

Yes, me to. I did buy a bag labeled 'Mexican Chilies' which I THINK are dried red poblamos (sp?)..any way I roast them in a pan and grind em up in the spice grinder and add them with the spices. This came from something in Tyler Florence's cookbook, but I don't think it was a chile recipe. I'll look it up when I get a minute.

I get my chili spices from Pendery's in downtown Ft Worth. To walk into that store and take a deep whiff is wonderful.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!