• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using spreadable cream cheese in cheesecake?

arbuclo

I wanted to make a cheesecake but all I can seem to find so far in my new environment is the spreadable Philly. Will that work? I've never used it before in baking.

Alternatively if anyone knows if regular Philadelphia cream cheese is available in Dubai, feel free to let me know where!

Help! Hubby wants cheesecake for his birthday.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

The spreadable Philly should be acceptable, if not ideal. Can you get yogourt? I have made quite nice (low-fat) cheesecakes with combinations including drained yogourt. I suspect that full-fat drained yogourt, used in combination with the spreadable cheese, might go a long way to counteracting the slight goo of the additives that make it spread -- while the cheese would keep it cheesecakey rather than yogourty.

Thanks, CompassRose. I definitely have access to yogurt. Well done on creating some new words (cheesecakey and yogourty)! :-)

I do drain yogurt a fair bit to make labneh (I think that's how you spell it). I think I even have a couple of cheesecake recipes that specifically call for that. Hmm...will go check now.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Spreadable cream cheese should never be used for a regular cheesecake recipe.

It's the same reason whipped butter shouldn't be used in cookie and cake recipes: They are processed differently and are too aerated (a process done ourselves with the paddle and sugar, but to a lesser degree).

If you do a search, there might be recipes designed specifically for spreadable cream cheeses, maybe even on the inside of the package?

Does it have to be a traditional cheesecake? How about a ricotta or mascarpone? Most mascarpone cheesecake recipes still call for some cream cheese, but others are set with a tiny bit of gelatin.

Good luck.

It maybe shouldn't be, but it can be, and I've done it. As I say, results not ideal and other forum members are turning away revolted as I speak, but it's still better than many a purchased cheesecake from roadhouse restaurants. And I've certainly liked cheesecakes I've made with spreadable Philly (with low-fat spreadable cream cheese no less) better than my experiments in the pureed cottage-cheese line!

(cue further revulsion! :laugh: )

However, I also find that the spreadable stuff is better with an admixture of either drained yogourt or Quark cheese. Technique hint: don't mix it the same way, as it does occasionally tend to clump. Place the cream cheese in a bowl all on its ownsome, and whip it smooth, then add in whatever other creamy stuff you're using, then the sugar, eggs &c.

Mileage may vary, and I suppose it depends how picky you're prepared to be. However, a baked cheesecake made with the spreadable stuff, while not perhaps best in show, is still more likely to hit a baked-cheesecake jones than one of those cold-set ones, which go to a completely different dessert stomach.

Cool, thanks for the tips, both of you. I'll still see if I can find normal cream cheese.... If anyone has recipes on the net that they use where very little cream cheese is used, I'd love links. (I love eGullet; you're all so darned helpful!)

It maybe shouldn't be, but it can be, and I've done it. As I say, results not ideal and other forum members are turning away revolted as I speak, but it's still better than many a purchased cheesecake from roadhouse restaurants. And I've certainly liked cheesecakes I've made with spreadable Philly (with low-fat spreadable cream cheese no less) better than my experiments in the pureed cottage-cheese line!

(cue further revulsion! :laugh: )

However, I also find that the spreadable stuff is better with an admixture of either drained yogourt or Quark cheese. Technique hint: don't mix it the same way, as it does occasionally tend to clump. Place the cream cheese in a bowl all on its ownsome, and whip it smooth, then add in whatever other creamy stuff you're using, then the sugar, eggs &c.

Mileage may vary, and I suppose it depends how picky you're prepared to be. However, a baked cheesecake made with the spreadable stuff, while not perhaps best in show, is still more likely to hit a baked-cheesecake jones than one of those cold-set ones, which go to a completely different dessert stomach.

Speaking of quark-why is it so expensive in this enlightened country of ours? Does anyone know how to make it? Thanks, Woods

heleen1, did you make any adjustments to your recipes when using spreadable cream cheese? (Where are you located?)

I did take a look in my cheese making book and I see that making cream cheese is supposed to be easy so I may give that a try.

I didn't make any adjustments at all, just used the spreadable stuff as is. I even got brave and bought reduced fat cream cheese (also spreadable) and I'm going to try that next.

I'm in the Netherlands, Europe, and very fond of many american recipes. There's so many ingredienst I haven't been able to find here, that I learned to just go ahead and try out with ingredients that are available to me.

Oooh, that's looking hopeful if Spinneys in Abu Dhabi has the regular cream cheese. I'll look harder for it here then. And if I can't find it I'll use the spreadable. Thanks, everyone!