• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats for the Oscars

pattimw

Now that the Super Bowl is behind us, thoughts in LA turn to the Oscars which are now less than 3 weeks away. In an effort to make this forum more vibrant, I thought we'd see:

1. What eGulleteers are involved in any of the official/industry award festivities and what food details they are willing to share; or

2. If you are planning an "at-home" Oscar party, what you are planning to serve; or

3. If the Academy asked you to cater to official party, what woud you serve (no holds barred, you get to go wild here).

Waiting to hear.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Now that the Super Bowl is behind us, thoughts in LA turn to the Oscars which are now less than 3 weeks away.  In an effort to make this forum more vibrant, I thought we'd see:

1.  What eGulleteers are involved in any of the official/industry award festivities and what food details they are willing to share; or

2.  If you are planning an "at-home" Oscar party, what you are planning to serve; or

3.  If the Academy asked you to cater to official party, what woud you serve (no holds barred, you get to go wild here).

Waiting to hear.

Way to go, JFL!!! :cool::cool:

You're right. The Academy Awards is airing on Sun. 27 Feb. 2005. And we haven't gotten through Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, and Presidents' Day!!! :blink:

If it will help, I'll put on my research cap and find out who's doing what where (food-wise, of course :smile: ).

EDITED--for additional info.

I just went to the official website for the Oscars.

This Mon. afternoon (7 Feb. 2005), a "Nominees Luncheon" was held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. They don't say what was served. :angry:

However, at the 77th Annual Academy Awards Governors Ball, Wolfgang Puck Catering will be serving the following menu:

Hors d’Oeuvres: Roasted New Potatoes with Caviar and Crème Fraîche; Smoked Salmon Pizza with Caviar; Kobe Beef Burgers with Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onions; Mini Vietnamese Spring Rolls; Samosas with Tamarind Glaze

Pre Set Antipasti Platter: Smoked Salmon Oscar; Chino Farms Chopped Vegetable Salad; Asparagus with Prosciutto di Parma; Marinated Mushrooms with Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil; Truffled Artichokes; Bruschetta with Goat Cheese and Roasted Peppers; Bruschetta with Marinated Tomatoes and Basil

Served Amuse (Demi Tasse with Demi Spoon): Chilled Potato Leek Soup with Iranian Osetra Caviar

Entrée: Duo Plate: Slow Braised Kobe Beef Shortribs with Wild Mushroom Crust And Kabocha Squash Puree And Sweet Maine Lobster “En Croute” with Black Winter Truffles from Perigord

Dessert: “The Oscar I Love” (Toasted Almond and Espresso Cream Torte with Jivara Milk Chocolate Mousse)

ehbidee, ehbidee,"That's all, folks!"

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Here's a list of the main nominees for encourage inspiration:

Best Picture

"The Aviator"

"Finding Neverland"

"Million Dollar Baby"

"Ray"

"Sideways"

Best Animated Feature

"The Incredibles"

"Shark Tale"

"Shrek 2"

Actor

Don Cheadle in "Hotel Rwanda"

Johnny Depp in "Finding Neverland"

Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator"

Clint Eastwood in "Million Dollar Baby"

Jamie Foxx in "Ray"

Actress

Annette Bening in "Being Julia"

Catalina Sandino Moreno in "Maria Full of Grace"

Imelda Staunton in "Vera Drake"

Hilary Swank "Million Dollar Baby"

Kate Winslet in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Directing

“The Aviator" Martin Scorsese

"Million Dollar Baby" Clint Eastwood

"Ray" Taylor Hackford

"Sideways" Alexander Payne

"Vera Drake" Mike Leigh

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

From ew.com

Some 115 nominees, including 17 nominated actors (all but Johnny Depp, Natalie Portman, and Clive Owen) attended the banquet at the Beverly Hilton, where they posed for a ''class picture'' after dining on beef tenderloin, sea bass in ginger soy sauce, and lobster medallions with caviar.

Academy Appetizer

BTW, we have a big Oscar party every year and get custom-made chocolate Oscar statues - minis for every guest and an actual-size one for the pool winner.

This year we're featuring fondue (cheese and chocolate) and a special shrimp cevice recipe we picked up at a tapas place in Sarasota. This is added to our typical smorgasbord spread. Wish it wasn't on a Sunday night though! Cleanup lasts until 2 AM or later, getting up for work is a bear.

Edited by Bill_H (log)

The Most Perfect Answer Yet!! :laugh:

appropriate nibbles to match the occasion. That's where our movie-inspired menus come in! We've made an 'A-list' of recipes inspired by this year's Best Picture nominees. Pick and choose a few of your favorites, create and entire dinner menu, or share the list with your guests and turn it into a potluck.

The Aviator

Wings

Perfect Porterhouse Steak

Pea Salad

Pan Fried Whole Trout

ABC (Absolute Best Chewy) Chocolate Chippers

Three Milks Coconut Custard

Sour Milk Spice Cake

and there are more for each nominated film!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It seems Chef Puck is still in the 90's with that menu.  :rolleyes:

That may be true but he is cooking for the official party sponsored by the Academy and they are always known for being somewhat stodgy. Perhaps the 90's is a big leap forward for them. Perhaps, Puck knows what his clients want. For the more avant garde, I wonder what they are serving at the Elton John/Vanity Fair party, or the Miramax party, or . . .

Statements like this always set me on edge. Care to back it up with a menu you would consider up-to-date for this decade?

(What is this decade called, anyway...the oughts?...the naughts?)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Statements like this always set me on edge. Care to back it up with a menu you would consider up-to-date for this decade?

(What is this decade called, anyway...the oughts?...the naughts?)

I don't care to engage. I already sense that it would go nowhere.

Maybe Jason could create an emoticon for tongue in cheek comments?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

With a week to go to the big event (geez, I hope the rain stops by then), I thought I'd bring this thread up again with the following:

The Do's and Don'ts of Oscar Party Planning

The Crux of Luxe

The first article is about what it says it is. The second is about more than food but details all the efforts of the entire staff at the Four Seasons Hotel to cater to their clientele preparing for the red carpet -- including the kitchen staff.

My menu for an Oscar Party

Amuse (Passed hors d'oeuvres)

Caspian Potato Chips

Caviar and Crème Fraiche on Potato Crisps

Crab Cigars with Sauce Ravigote

Carmelized Walnuts, Apple Chutney, Roquefort Mousse on Toast Brioche

Scallop Brik with Saffron Aioli

Escargot Beignets with Pinot Noir Glaze

Foie Gras Mousse on Hearts of Belgium Endive with Truffle Oil

Mezze Table

Tabil Marinated Shrimp Brochettes served with Lemon Wedges

Silverfish Friture with Chermoula

Spinach, Pine Nut and Raisin Briouts

Cold Steamed Mussels with Saffron Tomato Relish and Preserved Lemon Gremolata

Blood Orange and Sweet Onion Salad with Argan Oil Vinaigrette

Spiced Olives

Duck Confit and Asian Pear Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette

Caramelized Shallot Compote, Red Pepper Marmalade, and Eggplant Preserve served with Croutons

Trid or Poor man’s Bastilla

Quatre Epices Sardine Escabeche

Served Amuse

Spicy Ginger Tomato Soup

or

Chilled Arugula Soup

Entrées

Date and Couscous Stuffed Squab with a Pomegranate Glaze and a Cardoon Tajine

Or

Ras el Hanout Roasted Monkfish with a Chartreuse of Turnips and Baby Carrots

Or

Filet Mignon with Chanterelle Jus

Potatoes Dauphinois

Dessert

Oscar Shaped Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Layered with Charlotte Mousse au Chocolat

And Crème Anglaise

Amazing menu touaregsand! Is this a fantasy menu or something you will actually be making? Interesting N.African/Middle Eastern influence on some of the dishes.

I'm not having an "Oscar" party, but one idea I had after reading this thread was "Oeufs a la Neige" -- to tie in to Howard Hughe's determination to finding clouds as a backdrop for shooting his first movie. (in 'The Aviator")

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you Ludja. The menu reflects my husband's cultural heritage (North African and French) and his professional training (French). It's a fantasy menu for an Oscar party that we will not be throwing or cooking for. But hubby actually prepared this menu for a private party.

• 11 months later...

The Oscar broadcast is March 5 at 7:00 p.m. CST.

Is anyone having a get together?

What sort of yummy treats will you be serving?

I haven't decided on a menu yet and am searching for inspiration!

“How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?”

-Julia Child

A sneak preview of Sherry Yard's Oscar Party Dessert from the LA Times Magazine.

The show is starting in 5 minutes.  Gotta go!

...so, the little golden man is soon rear his pretty little head... anyone have this (above) recipe written down or on a link that works? i seems that the l.a. times magazine has taken it off-line. :sad: (feel free to p.m. me if you want).

happy champagning and whateever else you're planning for this year's oscars!

cheers.

ulterior epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Here's the link to the LA Daily News article by Natalie Naughton, Wolfgang Puck to cater to stars on Oscar night.

If you click on this link, and select "Governor's Ball Food" under the Photos section, you can see the food that will be served that evening, including a photo of Wolfgang Puck with 30 pounds of black truffles from France, at the cost of $30,000.

And here's the menu, prepared by Wolfgang Puck, that will be served at the 78th Academy Awards Governors Ball following the Oscar ceremonies March 5, 2006 at the Kodak Theatre:

TRAY-PASSED HORS D'OEUVRES

Spicy Tuna Tartare in a Sesame Miso Cone

Mini Prime Burgers With Aged Cheddar and Remoulade

Warm Gougeres With Potato, Cheese and Herbs

Baby Potatoes With Caviar and Chives

Steak Tartare in a Black Pepper Parmesan Cone

Smoked Salmon Pizza With Dill Creme Fraiche and Caviar

Duck Sausage Pizza With Leeks and Spinach

Four Cheese Pizza With Tomato and Fresh Basil

ANTIPASTO PLATTER ASSORTMENT

Marinated Baby Artichokes With Lemon Aioli

Tuna Tataki With Sweet Soy

Smoked Salmon "Oscar" Matzo With Osetra Caviar

Chopped Vegetable Salad

Sweet Crab Stuffed Tiny Spanish Peppers

Citrus Marinated Shrimp

Green and White Asparagus With Prosciutto

SOUP

Celery Root Soup With Fuji Apples and 24k Gold Sprinkle

ENTREE

Pan-Roasted Organic Chicken with Black Truffle Risotto

DESSERT

Oscar's "Sweet Fantasy"

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Miles is hosting his annual Oscars gathering tonight - each year he has a bunch of college friends (from his graduation year - I am a spring chicken at two years younger and am not invited :angry::wink:) over for dinner and makes a hilariously named menu...tonight the offerings include Brokeback Mutton (a braised lamb stew), the Constant Garden (a salad), and Heath Ledger cake (a toffee-studded tea cake). :laugh:

I'm having nibbles and Champagne chez moi.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007