• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats for the Oscars

pattimw

I've never really thought about doing this before, but do any of you cook food to go with watching the Oscars? I thought it would be kind of fun to make something a little extravagant, plus have an excuse to drink champagne.

Do any of you do this and if so, what do you cook?

We used to throw an Oscar party every year for about 40. But our offering were fairly simple. I would serve crudites with assorted salsas and dips, fruit platters, chips and pretzels. We would also do one or two pasta dishes. And there would be wine, beer, soda, etc for drinks (we weren't a hard alcohol group). Our guests would bring desserts.

One year for decorations we had serveral dozen balloons in black and gold. Otherwise, we didn't do anything special.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I adore the Oscars. By I am biased... about twenty years ago, I got to go because a friend of a friend new Christopher Lee and he didn't want his tickets. Since then, I've been hooked.

When I lived in Southern California, I had friends who were like me - real groupies. And we would all get together for elaborate potlucks and parties, with a pool on the winners, and always Champagne!

Our potlucks were sometimes gourmet affairs and sometimes not - from Boullaibaise to Artichoke Heart Dip.

I will miss my friends this year and have to watch solo (Shawn really doesn't care for it either way) - but I wouldn't miss a minute of it even if I am drinking my bubbly alone.

Some girlfriends and I decided to do a glam party this year. We're serving oysters and champagne for starters...I'll make a mignonette with rice wine vinegar, lime juice, jalapeños, and cilantro for the oysters. Also, an hors d'oeuvre of some kind. Probably new potato rounds topped with a "paté" of gorgonzola/cream cheese/walnuts piped on and topped with a little minced parsley and cracked black pepper. Maybe samosas, maybe something else. Oooh, I just remembered I've got a bag of really good dried apricots, so I could top those with chevre and a basil sprig.

Dinner is spanakopita with a big beautiful salad.

Not sure about sweets/dessert. I rarely eat dessert myself but we will have two teenagers in the house so they'll probably expect something.

My girlfriend always has an oscar party. We all dress up and cat call during the show. It's a blast.

This year, in honor of Lost in Translation, our theme is japanese. I am taking green beans tossed with sesame dressing from the recipe archives. Oh and sake of course!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

...I'll make a mignonette with rice wine vinegar, lime juice, jalapeños, and cilantro for the oysters.

that oyster treatment (southwest-influenced mignonette) sounds so good.

boyfriend and i will be glued to the tv. it's the Oscars! :biggrin:

i'll probably make tabbouleh (i have a load of curly leafed parsley), chicken wings with some soy/sesame/maple glaze-thing, and perhaps a sour cream cheesecake.

enjoy sunday night, everyone! :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

...I'll make a mignonette with rice wine vinegar, lime juice, jalapeños, and cilantro for the oysters.

that oyster treatment (southwest-influenced mignonette) sounds so good.

It is. It's the only thing I like on them anymore. Sometimes I put in a little splash of brine from the jar of jalapeños, but fresh, minced jalapeños are better.

plus have an excuse to drink champagne.

:shock::shock:

you don't need an excuse to drink champagne(or sparkling wine)

usually we do tapas but this year john will be seeing deep purple in nyc so i've been invited to a friend's house. we are expected to dress - good thing i didn't give away all my concert black - and throw rolled up socks at the screen when we don't agree with an award. :raz:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What a great idea about the Japanese. I'm hoping Lost in Translation wins everything it's up for. It's one of my top ten of all time.

Maybe I should wear the vintage silk kimono my friend gave me.

Perhaps I should dig up some of those Lord of the Rings recipes from the Food Media & News board. :laugh: Seriously, I like the "theme" ideas....

There are some great ideas! DH and I love to make fun of people, and of course, I like to see what they are wearing.

plus have an excuse to drink champagne.

:shock::shock:

you don't need an excuse to drink champagne(or sparkling wine)

usually we do tapas but this year john will be seeing deep purple in nyc so i've been invited to a friend's house. we are expected to dress - good thing i didn't give away all my concert black - and throw rolled up socks at the screen when we don't agree with an award. :raz:

so true....

I thought tapas might be fun - maybe some empandas and tortilla espanola, but then I started thinking about Prosecco, which I really enjoy, and thinking about building a menu from there....perhaps maybe more like Italian small plates, there's a recipe for ome made ravioli in a thyme cream sauce I have been wanting to try....

Been to a few Oscar parties over the years. Some are themed, like foods mentioned or eaten in movies, some pick a movie and go from there. The Apollo 13 party was fun.

Any excuse to have a party, even if the Oscars, like the Golden Globes and most other award shows are bought and paid for.

...and most other award shows are bought and paid for.

well, the nominees aren't doing any paying... :smile:

among the food-related items to be placed in the free gift bags for Oscar winners/losers:

--a 1,500$ private steak dinner at Morton's

--dinner at Vancouver's Elixir restaurant

--La Grande Dame Veuve Cliquot champagne

full list here--scroll down a bit...

--Isak Dinesen

Got my five dozen oysters today. There will be ten of us, and three don't eat them. And with three buff guys, the shucking should be a piece of cake. :smile:

enjoy them, and the show! :smile:

{boring public service announcement}

please get the guys to wear gloves and/or towels on their hands when shucking oysters.

{/end boring public service announcement.}

--Isak Dinesen