• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Around Victoria

Mangoe

Check out this site:

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/En/1430.asp

Dining out Victoria - 40 Participating restaurants with 3 course menu $15 and $25

Oh GREAT!! :unsure: Now all the Victoria diners & servers are going to get their knickers in a knot on the Dine Around Victoria thread!

Some interesting places missing from the list of participants ... no Paprika, no L'Ecole Brasserie. How is the participation at this event?

A.

Daddy-A:

We are flying out to Victoria on the 16th and were intially concerned that Dining Out Victoria and the Victoria Wine Festival would be problematic as far as getting into places we want to eat at given what I had read about the Vancouver program.

Does not appear to be the case. Were able to secure a 7:00 reso via email with Greg at Cafe Brio for Saturday nite.

Like you I was somewhat perplexed by the names or more to the point, the absence of a number of the spots we normally would think might be participating.

You mentioned Paprika. We hope to get out to Oak Bay and try it this visit.

Perhaps the dining situation in Victoria is such that the good spots get lots of local business regardless of the time of year and absence of "foodie tourists" like me.

I'll inquire of Marc at Brasserie l'Ecole as we will eat there the nite of our arrival.

Also noted that Zambri's, Il Terrazzo, The Tapas Bar, Camille's etc. are missing.

Can anyone offer comments on Victoria spots we have not tried thus far like Bravo on Wharf, Wild Saffron and Matisse?

Looking forward to leaving the snow and seeing the ocean...mind you, did not sound like that Malahat was any fun this past week-end.

Most places missing from the Dine Around have reasonably priced menus to begin with. L'ecole and Zambri's for example are small and always busy - even at this time of year - and the Dine Around is unsuitable for them. That's my guess. I had lunch with Peter Zambri today and I forgot to ask him about that. Too busy slurping pho.

s

-you should go to Cucina in Dragon Alley for lunch (cuz she's not open for anything else). I (me) would skip Bravo. Can you bring back some Olive Baguettes from Wild Fire? "Mo:Le" is somewhat new and worth a try. Well, more than 'worth a try' but i'm trying to restrain my everything.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Hmmm... the Malahat. On my way to work this past Saturday I pulled over on the Malahat and witnessed 2 car accidents and lots of idiots trying to get around a semi just before the South Shawnigan Lake turn off. After an hour on the highway we made it up to the Aerie and I thanked the stars that we did not get hit. Life is interesting this time of the year.

As for DOV I have not heard that much compared to the Vancouver thread. Brio, L'ecole etc are usually pretty busy regardless.

"Good luck, fresh meat" said the combat weary Private Waiterblog as he limped awkwardly towards the Huey. He still bled from the corkscrew shrapnel wound from the previous night's patrol.

The boy with the clean uniform stared wistfully skyward as the chopper climbed slowly up over the jungle canopy, his fatigues fluttering in the rotor wash....

Waiterblog was almost home...his tour was all but over. He stared back at the sad sack just in from the world as he floated further up, closer to a place farther removed from the DMZ, oops...I mean DOV. :unsure:

Good luck Victoria...make sure everything is bolted down.

:biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

-you should go to Cucina in Dragon Alley for lunch (cuz she's not open for anything else). I (me) would skip Bravo. Can you bring back some Olive Baguettes from Wild Fire? "Mo:Le" is somewhat new and worth a try. Well, more than 'worth a try' but i'm trying to restrain my everything.

We wandered about Dragon Alley during our last visit in the Fall trying, without success, to locate Cucina. It had been recommened to us by Marnie at Brasserie l'Ecole. I know it is not a big place but after checking out the various nooks and crannies I think we gave up and wandered over to Canoe.

Can you tell me more about Mo:Le? That is a place I have not heard anything at all about.

Looking forward to getting to the Island. Thanks for the input. Any additional information would be gratefully accepted.

Shelora: Sippin' Pho....I guess that is actually "slurping" with Peter Zambri puts a whole new complexion on the age old debate of who "did noodles" first ... the Chinese or the Italians via Marco Polo...now the Vietnamese and French have been added to the "recipe"

We'll probably get to Zambri's for lunch ...the duck ragu with green olives served over fried polenta I had last time was delicious.

Oh, you definitely should go to Cucina for lunch. Mirjiana, the owner and chef, is grouchy and says whatever she wants, be forewarned. If you're a little sensitive, don't go. If you do, that's damn good eatin' - cash only. Oh, yes, she does't want her name printed either.

Dragon Allley, where she is located, is not Fan Tan Alley. The alley does have a sign posted on the sidewalk. Her resto is

Mo-le is always packed, healthy good home cooking.

Do go to Wild Fire and check out the newly installed grain silo and buy some bread.

Sooke Harbour House by the way, also has a special menu on which I don't think has anything to do with Dine -a-rama, but if you are out there, check out also Little Vienna Bakery for God's croissants and an apple struedel that is very close to perfection. And please pay attention to a little restaurant there called, Markus' Wharfside. YOU MUST GO.

And that is definitely slurpin' noodles, buster. Somedays, you just need to hunch over a bowl of noodles and make noise.

You could fight the hoards and go to the Noodle Box further up Fisgard for a hearty Thai curry noodle dish. Vancouver could use a Noodle Box, check it out.

While you are in Chinatown and in desperate need for sustenance, check out Loy Sing, the only butcher in C-town. Wonderful homemade stews served over rice are the draw here along with some barbeque pork or duck. Under $5.00 has you happy. And with some house made chili oil, that sets you up nice.

Then it will be time for a honey bun from Wai Lah Yuen, almost next door. Still warm, that is beautiful.

If you are not familiar with ReBar, that may be worth a check. Especially for juices and lunch. Lively and colourful.

And you have to go to Daidoco for lunch. Only open between 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., Mon- Fri. I suggest getting there before 12 noon. This is Japanese sozai, small plates, and is unbelievable in flavour, value and presentation. This place is fast becoming a going concern for chef's in town, checking out and supporting the new talent in town. Daidoco is in Nootka Court, where the bug zoo is, on Douglas, near Hugo's and The Strathcona.

And the newest pub we have is the Irish Times. If you can locate the confession booth, I would suggest you snuggle in there for a Guinness and some stodge.

And a locals favourite, is Ferris' on Yates. Sweet potato fries, burgers as big as your head, a big bowl of the restorative chicken penne soup, great service and a back booth on a dark and stormy night and you are set. Good martinis.

That's it for now. I should go to work.

Have fun in sunny Victoria.

Shelora

Oh, you definitely should go to Cucina for lunch. Mirjiana, the owner and chef, is grouchy and says whatever she wants, be forewarned.

Because Mirjana is herself this place remains the only spot i will consistently bring friends to. She does not hide. The entrance to Dragon Alley is directly accross from Bean Around the World. Her restaurant/suite is #10. Access also from Herald St.

I think the noodle box is surviving on/off nostalgic backpackers.

Mo:Le is on Pandora, near the 'other' end of FanTan Alley.

Mornings at Cafe Fantastico (2 locations, Quadra or Cook St Village).

I disagree with the Ferris's recommendation. I like the room (for Victoria), and i so want the food to measure up. But i am always dissapointed. Always always always. Because it is a locals favourite just highlights the lack that is Victoria.

The steamed momos at The Mint are good. The Mint is on Douglas, near Aveda Salon, downstairs mid-block.

I'm sorry to not be of much more help, when i lived in Victoria (up until sept), my partner and i decided to save our money from dissapointing meals and invest more wisely at Brasserie. Since you already go there, you know.

Edited by 3WholeCardamoms (log)

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

What about Foo Hong's in Chinatown? Awesome food. Service so incredibly bad it's almost entertaining to be subjected to. :laugh:

Perhaps the restaurants that are skipping out on DOVic have lurkers on staff who read our threads of this past month with trepidation

(written listening to Fleetwood Mac sing "You can go your own waaay....")

Is Temple in or out? :wub:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

3WholeCardamoms/Shelora:

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely was in the right area looking for Cucina last Fall without success. Remember the sign as I was walking down the street. Saw a lot of little spots in that maze but now that I have an unit number.

Mind you, given your description...sounds like Victoria's answer to Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi"...I should not have been surprised that there was not a lot of signage for the restaurant itself or someone "warmly" greeting and drawing customers in.....

editor@waiterblog:

I'll give Temple..or as I call it "Indiana Jones goes to IKEA"...a miss but will inquire if its fortunes have changed for the better....still a late nite industry spot for the exotic cocktail drinkers I understand....I am not bringing enough black to fit in [smile]

I am not bringing enough black to fit in

:laugh:

Luckily, I'm just that swank. :cool:

That is, despite being an idiot and a drooler as noted elsewhere.

I've always enjoyed temple but I make a point of avoiding it after 9pm and especailly on the weekends simply for the reasons you state above. The food is excellent and the concept is indicative of the potential victoria has to really start putting itslef on the map. I did a lot of growing up there in the restaurant world, and so did most of my friends. It's a tough gig. The place just dies from November to April. Since Zambri's, Brasserie L'ecole, Brio, and Temple opened I've been hoping for more interesting places to spring up, but I'm still waiting... :sad:

In the meantime, these 4 represent a move in a very positive direction. Didn't Saltaire open up a location in Vic? How's that coming along?

Andrew Morrison

What about Foo Hong's in Chinatown? Awesome food. Service so incredibly bad it's almost entertaining to be subjected to.  :laugh:

Oh my Gawd! I love Foo Hongs! :wub: Many, many years ago we used to go there about once a month when a couple of my brothers lived in Victoria. One of the waiters sorta looked like my middle brother so we would refer to him as "David".... Doesn't sound so funny now that I've typed it out but it amused the rest of us... though strangely not him. :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Hi there,

I really like Mirjiana and her food, you just have to be in the right frame of mind for her tough love hospitality. Which I usually am. I bring her herbs from my garden to soften the blow. :wink:

The Temple. I just don't know what to say so I'm not going to attempt anything, except, late night, swanky drinking establishment. Loud and kinda sexy in a youthful no-body fat kinda way. New chef, haven't checked it out in early evening yet. I kinda get a feeling they are going for that snack, small plates focus. I promise to investigate really soon.I personally love the decor. It is so not Victoria. Practically every bar and pub here tries to go for that olde English pub theme. If I hear another celtic jig scratched out on a fiddle - 50 verses later - surrounded by dark wood and horse accoutrements, I think I'll run screaming into the night.

Yes, Foo Hong's. Look for the neon sign. A great stop for your daily quotient of Vitamin G (grease).

Saltaire, bye bye. With the giant very organized Canoe corp. right next door? I don't think so.

I do believe the space if for lease. Any takers out there in Vancouver?

Which brings me to another subject. This city is changing very fast. Down the street from me, in two directions, there are approx. 5 condos being built, with a few more in talks. Near Zambri's there are five more, with more coming. We have three more being sold right now near Chinatown. Across the bridge, we have scads more. And we're not talking seniors rest home condos. Those are being built in Oak Bay. This is going to be a very different place to live in five years.

If any of you have some long term goals that involve opening some sort of food establishment in Victoria - please no olde English pubs - we will welcome you with open arms.

Shelora

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again.

Dine Around & Stay in Town is now accepting reservations at all participating restaurants.  For a complete list of participating restaurants with their corresponding menus, take a meander  

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/dinearound

The Launch Party is on Thursday February 16th  Full details HERE

Hope to see some of you there.

Note: there are no CFD restaurants this year.

Edited by shelora (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of last-night's $35 set menu @ The Marina Restaurant.

Wonderful flavors, presentation - and a great room (with wind-bobbing sailboats shifting outside the window).

PICT0022.JPG

For appetizers, I started with the Grilled Pear and Endive Salad, with blue cheese vinaigrette.

PICT0018.JPG

Mrs. Memo had the rich Smoked Sablefish and Cauliflower Veloute. (NOTE: While our server assured me it was not a Rorschach's test - I thought I could see a green-skinned Josephine Baker diving into the pool. What do you see?)

PICT0019.JPG

For entrees, I savored the intense Braised Beef Shortrib and Seared Alaskan Scallop dish, with mushroom and leek ragout.

PICT000024.JPG

Mrs. Memo coast-ed through the Grilled Wild Coho Salmon, with lemon and mascarpone Israeli couscous.

PICT000023.JPG

Dessert, for me - after savory - is difficult. I was so full from all the flavors. However, I braved the - look out Neil! - Warm Ginger Cake, with toffee ice cream and toffee sauce. (I decided to have half of it boxed to-go, so I could enjoy it with my morning coffee.)

PICT0027.JPG

Mrs. Memo thrilled with her Gianduja Pot de Creme, with rosemary sable cookie.

PICT0026.JPG

Upon leaving, the wind blew us all the way out to our car, and gently poked my face into the remaining dark-iced ginger cake. My face, in the rearview mirror, looked like a relative of Josephine Baker's.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Great post Memo, I love the Baker soup (no comment on the gingerbreadface).

I'm impressed with the room, the wood warms up an otherwise wide open looking space. I haven't been to Oak Bay Marina for most likely over a decade. And the soup really does look elegant. I like the gingerbread presentation as well, although I'm imagining it before the ice cream ran away.