• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grown Up Bars

canucklehead

My wife & I went to Bacchus for the first time just before Christmas.  Just like canucklehead we were looking for a "grown-up" place, and also like canucklehead we were considering Opus Bar.  Another was the bar at Le Soleil.

Do Bacchus.  You won't regret it.

A.

Because of the way our liquor legislation evolved, the hotels still have a vestigial lock-hold on freestyle drinking. In the case of Bacchus, that's a good thing--I think it combines all of the elements for . . . hmm, how can I put this . . . getting someone to do something they don't necessarily want to do. By that I mean seduction of course, whether that be configured in entreaties of the heart or merely matters of commerce.

First, the drinks are well made, as you might expect, from cocktails through a smart-by-the-glass wine list with reasonable mark-ups. The glassware itself is excellent, the ice hard and the linens soft. The crowd is convivial and attractive. Next, there is live music and a fireplace that heighten the mood, as does the odd celebrity sighting, "Say isn't that Keith Talent over there in the corner with Goldie and Kurt?"

Then there's Lee Parson's food to consider: a piece of 45-minute poached-in-oil salmon perhaps or his white bean soup heightened with truffle oil--amongst the very best bowls in the city. Or take a smoked salmon pizza before a show. Additionally, I like staying on for dinner Wednesday nights when there's an inexpensive bistro menu and a classic such as coq au vin in rotation. On Sundays there's always the roast chicken dinner to consider.

The service, orchestrated by Philip Meyer, Bradlie and Farouk, is very thoughtful indeed, from the moment one alights at the valet stand to the moment one is discretely placed back in a Yellow at the end of the night.

And last, but far from least, there is a real energy in the room that seems to defy having a bad shift. The last is no doubt heightened by the attractive new Jacqueline Conoir uniforms that now bless the female servers.

Full report please, Arne. And some swizzle stix.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

there is a real energy in the room that seems to defy having a bad shift. The last is no doubt heightened by the attractive new Jacqueline Conoir uniforms that now bless the female servers.

Waiterblog starts updating his resume.... :shock:

I understand Conoir to be very slimming. I can squeeze into just about anything.

I hope to be there, Arne.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

We are heading over to Bacchus tonight for Chef Parson's Bistro Wednesdays, good food & good wine, hopefully it won't be too busy I know on Fridays there can be quite a line up.

Will be looking out for Kurt & Goldie (and Mr Talent!)

Pam

Shameless but usefull. where can we pick up Terminal City. I haven't read it since my source burnt.

It's free all over town, but can be hard to find. Street boxes are at Granville and Robson, Homer and Smithe, 4th and Burrard, 1st and Commercial, and all around Yaletown. There should be deep drops at Soma and Pulp Fiction on Main, as well as at Granville Books. And of course, there's always www.terminalcity.ca.

-Bess

Shameless but usefull. where can we pick up Terminal City. I haven't read it since my source burnt.

It's free all over town, but can be hard to find. Street boxes are at Granville and Robson, Homer and Smithe, 4th and Burrard, 1st and Commercial, and all around Yaletown. There should be deep drops at Soma and Pulp Fiction on Main, as well as at Granville Books. And of course, there's always www.terminalcity.ca.

Dave, you can also try pretty much any Cafe Artigiano ... ever since Sami's put a full page add in TC there's usually a pile by the entrance. Myself? I'm lazy & usually read it online.

Bess ... Welcome to eGullet ... looking forward to your take on things here. Really enjoyed the Drinking Guide, especially Jenn's take on Winkerbean's. :laugh: But isn't covering Elixir, Fiction and Morton's a little mainstream for you guys??? :wink:

A.

They also have copies at The Elysian Room. :wink:

And welcome to the madhouse Bess... pull up a padded cell and stay awhile!

Joie

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

there is a real energy in the room that seems to defy having a bad shift. The last is no doubt heightened by the attractive new Jacqueline Conoir uniforms that now bless the female servers.

I understand Conoir to be very slimming. I can squeeze into just about anything.

Very bad idea, Andrew. Surely something in an Empire waist with a modest decolletage would be more becoming, no? I'm thinking some tasty Blumarine here, by Anna Molinari. Or perhaps, to send this back to bar talk--a little Stella?

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Very bad idea, Andrew. Surely something in an Empire waist with a modest decolletage would be more becoming, no? I'm thinking some tasty Blumarine here, by Anna Molinari. Or perhaps, to send this back to bar talk--a little Stella?

Dear Mr. Maw,

Nein. I would prefer to see Mr. Andrew in more of a longshoreman look.

Sincerely, etc.,

Lars

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Dear Mr. Maw,

Nein. I would prefer to see Mr. Andrew in more of a longshoreman look.

Sincerely, etc.,

Lars

I'm now concerned. :hmmm: Very, very concerned.

Although, I do think Andrew would look in an empire waist :laugh:

In my line of work, you really want to start with a corset and work up from there, Jamie.

Stella's a great suggestion, but the ebb and flow of some of her dresses could bar access to my crank and that's a big no no. A bit pricy, too...especially during the slowest time of the year (besides, her summer line defines the milieu so I can wait :wink: )

Her winter fabrics are killer on the thighs. The swish swish swish of wool crepe can chafe like rutting rhinos, as I found out to my dismay during DOV. The smarter fine dining fashion houses lean more towards breathables and better still, stretchy fabrics. Lycra, linen, some cottons.

Aquamarine? Jamie, darling...how 2002 of you.

This year we're seeing more greys of all shades, some lighter blues and especially soft-hued browns the tint of Artigiano froth.

For me, it's black, no matter what Yves (that bitch) says. :huh:

Andrew Morrison

Aquamarine? Jamie, darling...how 2002 of you.

No, Blumarine. Aquamarine was more 1997, azurro.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Though I must say how flattering it is that you (and presumably Lars, whose penchant for Longshoremen has me staring at my closet at a loss :unsure: ) think I could fit into these, I should also point out how difficult it would be to work the floor in your suggested get-up. I certainly wouldn't wish those garments on the most inept of my colleagues. :huh:

They just hang.

That being said, I think management should give them a try...especially the red two-piece which says, in the lingua franca of pret-a-porter bikinis, "take me seriously. I mean business".

Still, I'm very flattered, and a bit disconcerted (though not a little charmed) that you are so engaged in the matter.

We aim to please by definition, so all suggestions for staff uniforms are welcome.

I can't wait to see how the Bacchus girls work their runway.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Not in the least. I should think that one of the most overlooked challenges in modern restaurauteuring is how to clothe your waitstaff. Which is probably why one sees so very much black, which, while likely describing a lack of imagination, probably also hides other hazards, such as paté-flack, soup tsunami (can we say that yet?) and much worse. I mean, have you ever tried to get dried risotto off a pair of Mark's Work Warehouse trousers? My point exactly.

I, for one, look forward to the return of hefty tweed dirndls, as evidenced at The Naam, replete with Birkenstocks and ankle tufts.

Thank goodness for Lululemon.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I respect your opinion Mr. Maw, but methinks we digress. Not a lot of people are reading this. I see we are the only ones right now, with Neil doing a bit of post-shift lurking (i see you :smile: ).

So as a consequece I think we should re-focus this thread and concentrate not on what we should wear, but rather what the folks at Bacchus should wear.

We're equally appreciative of the importance in dressing the part. Maybe somebody can chime in here, but I'm thinking the last time I was at Bacchus the staff were svelt All-Black types and various lovelies, with the odd grey vet with the thousand yard stare for character. You can't depend just on a swank fireplace, peanuts, and dishy cocktails. You've got to give it backbone. You've got to walk and stand like a footman in the Court of St. James. Nose in the air, never looking down (the scents of success can be oppressing). Languid eyes. Evident ability. Confidence.

My first thought?

Anne Klein.

Second thoughts?

Lots of pockets for pens. Keeping the corkscrew in the button hole of some her Fall 2004 tweed suit-jackets makes it (as you mentioned) that much more a timeless fabric.

Andrew Morrison

with Neil doing a bit of post-shift lurking (i see you  ).

Two tables came in at 11:50 for dessert. The staff were looking at me asking if we were open.

We are open until midnight or until I say we are not !

So.......now I sit watching the two of you talk about clothes.

I would be doing post shift posting except I know nothing of clothes. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.

It has been a slow day on egullet today. Where is Sean Heather or Sam Salmon when you need them ?

Although I think Sam might have had a dig in my direction in the Indian food thread. Truth be known, I was never really fond of Indian food and my wife had to drag me to Vij's ( kicking and screaming, whimpering like a little baby....) Glad she did.

N

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com