• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grown Up Bars

canucklehead

A friend and I are meeting for drinks this week and I would like to go to a nice grown up downtown bar - but I have just gotten back into the city and actually don't hit the bars very often.

Would like somewhere smart, sophisticated and relatively civilized. Nothing to lound or rambuncious.

Any suggestions?

Edited by canucklehead (log)

My old stand by has been closed for several years, and I never really found a place to replace it.

Your old standby... or your old "fall down"?! :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'll jump on the bandwagon for Bacchus.... it's got a great atmosphere. Other than that... no clue... unless the Granville Room is a grown up bar (but it might be a restaurant???? - checked and it is actually a bar).... a friend of mine said she liked it in passing the other day.... and she's 45 (i.e. potentially a grown-up... though do hold the cougar jokes please :smile: )

I may have to go over to waiterblog to check out the definition of "cougar"...

edited due to spelling issues, amongst other things....

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

My wife & I went to Bacchus for the first time just before Christmas. Just like canucklehead we were looking for a "grown-up" place, and also like canucklehead we were considering Opus Bar. Another was the bar at Le Soleil.

Do Bacchus. You won't regret it.

A.

I know it's not downtown but my husband and I like the bar at the Fairmont hotel at the airport. Another "grown-up" bar we like is the one at the Sutton Place Hotel. Comfortable chairs, quiet and subdued - which is what I want in a grown-up bar. My only experience with the bar at the Opus was during the Bourdain book signing. It will take me a few more months to recover and venture back there.

Cheers,

Karole

My only experience with the bar at the Opus was during the Bourdain book signing. It will take me a few more months to recover and venture back there.

Hmmm... how very mysterious..... care to elaborate? :wink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I know it's not downtown but my husband and I like the bar at the Fairmont hotel at the airport. Another "grown-up" bar we like is the one at the Sutton Place Hotel. Comfortable chairs, quiet and subdued - which is what I want in a grown-up bar. My only experience with the bar at the Opus was during the Bourdain book signing. It will take me a few more months to recover and venture back there.

Bacchus is our choice, too, for a bar free of frat boys and girls with exposed tummies, but I'll second the recommendation of the bar in the Fairmont at YVR. I essentially lived at that hotel for 6 months last year when I was working here full time but my family had not yet moved here. Friendly, stylish and a great room.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

My only experience with the bar at the Opus was during the Bourdain book signing. It will take me a few more months to recover and venture back there.

Hmmm... how very mysterious..... care to elaborate? :wink:

It was overly crowded, you couldn't move around, the drinks were....meh...the atmostphere was a little overwhelming. I don't know if I could go back just yet either.

Ah yes... I see... "overly crowded" say no more.... I too have a gigantic aversion to really big crowds......

So, based on that... stick to Bacchus :biggrin: And no... I have no personal ties to Elaeni Skalbania (sp?) whatsoever!

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

I'd have to register a vote for the Gerard Bar in the Sutton Place. It's more mellow than Bacchus and they make a mean steak sandwich with hollandaise.

For my money it's the most bar like altho I'm partial to Bacchus as well.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

I spent last Friday evening at the Gerard Room and yes, I'd have to say it's very civilized. Hotel bars are generally a good bet that way.

But if you want "grown up", stay away from Opus - or rather, say away from the lounge. Elixir, the actual hotel bar next door, is lovely (great servers, very extensive cocktail list, amazing desserts), but the Opus lounge is fairly crass IMHO.

Speaking of crass: I happen to be editor of Terminal City, and we produced a drinking guide last issue: www.terminalcity.ca. Probably the most useful feature is our drinking listings, which are organized by neighborhood. Good for sudden "where to go for a drink?" searches. We do begin with a review of dives, but there are reviews of hotel and wine bars too.

Yes, I know that was a shameless plug in my very first post... mea culpa!

-Bess Lovejoy

Shameless but usefull. where can we pick up Terminal City. I haven't read it since my source burnt.

Pretty sure I've seen it at several BookWarehouse locations......

sarah

Is there a bar at The Sylvia on English Bay?  I've been there for brunch a couple times many many years ago, so I can't remember.  Like the hotel ... hoping for a bar.

A.

Yes, Arne, and it's appropriately called The Tilting Room.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Is there a bar at The Sylvia on English Bay?  I've been there for brunch a couple times many many years ago, so I can't remember.  Like the hotel ... hoping for a bar.

A.

Worthwhile to visit for a tilt?

A.

A.

A.

Absolutely, although they removed some of the character when they performed an extensive makeover a decade ago. Nice view too. Bring me a swizzle stick.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

A.

A.

Hmmm... I'm thinking that with a name like "Tilt", this may be a bar that I should stay away from, even though I have wanted to have a drink there for quite a few years.