• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Scarpariello

coughy

I had dinner with friends recently and one of the dishes we ordered was Chicken Scarpariello. This was at the advice of our waiter when we requested a dish with no flour or bread crumbs as my friend has a wheat allergy. He informed us that this was their only chicken dish without flour. It was delicious. I have been looking for recipes and everyone I have seen is vastly different and most include flour.

Any recipes?

Thanks

Can you remember any ingredients?

I've found a couple different versions on the internet:

Here's Rachel Ray's version

While Rachel's recipe doesn't have lemon juice in it (most do) Rachel serves the chicken over Orzo with Lemon Zest.

In the recipes that do call for flour, it's just used for dredging. You can omit it completely (as Rachel does) and season the chicken itself (as opposed to the flour) and brown the chicken without using flour.

I'd recommend finding the recipe that come closest to what you had and if it calls for flour, just omit it.

edited for spellling :wink:

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

DISCLAIMER: I have never tried this recipe. But here is Chicken Scarpariello, as it appears in the Gourmet Cookbook.

2.5 lb chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry

salt and pepper

3 T olive oil

1 lg onion, chopped

2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into 3/4 inch pieces

2-4 jarred hot cherry peppers in vinegar (to taste), drained and chopped fine

5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1/3 cup dry white wine

1/3 cup chicken stock or store-bought broth

1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley

Hack each thigh in half or thirds through the bone with a cleaver and season with s&p.

Heat 1 T oil in a 12-inch heavt skillet over med. high heat; add half of chicken, skin side down, and cook through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Heat another T of oil and repeat with remaining chicken.

Pour off all but 1 T of fat from the skillet. Add remaining T of oil and add onions, cherry peppers, and bell peppers. Reduce heat to moderate, cover, and cook about 7 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sautee until golden, 2 minutes. Add wine and stock, increase heat, and boil uncovered until most of liquid had evaporated, about 4 minutes.

Add chicken with accumulated juices from the plate and parsley, cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.

I was thinking about making this sometime soon, which is why it rung a bell when I saw this post. If you try it, please let me know how it is!!

Here’s a version adapted from an adaptation from “Rao’s Cookbook”. I haven’t tried it but I’ve heard good things about the restaurant. They say to cut the chicken into 12 pieces, and cook 10 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered. What 12, do you think? I think it would be tastier to use a larger chicken or two that would take longer to cook and develop the flavors.

Take note: all you people mad for braising!

Chicken Scarpariello

2 cut up chickens, about 2 1/2 lbs. each, backbones removed

vegetable oil

4 links Italian sausage (hot, mild or a combination) cut in one inch pieces

2 large or 3 small bell peppers of different colors (red, yellow, green), cut into thin strips

1 large onion, slivered

1 large clove garlic, minced

2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded, cut into rounds

6 or 8 hot cherry peppers in vinegar, whole

1/2 cup each: dry white wine

chicken broth

red wine vinegar

1 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 3 small potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced or diced

The original recipe calls for one and a half cups of vegetable oil, in which the chicken, sausages, peppers and onions are browned and the oil discarded. Some of you may prefer to use all or part olive oil and just enough to sauté each of the ingredients in order, adding more as needed. That way you may season each ingredient with salt and pepper as you go.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté chicken in oil until brown and remove to paper towels to drain. Sauté sausage pieces until brown and drain. Sauté the bell and jalapeno peppers, onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add cherry peppers, white wine, chicken broth, vinegar, and oregano to pan. Return chicken and sausages to pan and season if you have not already done so. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove lid and continue cooking until the sauce has reduced slightly.

Even better, they say, if cooked a day ahead, refrigerated and reheated the second day.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali