• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea and food pairings

jgm

A few years ago, a friend introduced me to iced Earl Grey tea. It's a much different flavor than hot Earl Grey, and it's just wonderful with meat.

I've been wondering--are there any other combinations out there that are especially good? It would never have occurred to me to put Earl Grey on ice. Having this combination at lunch, makes lunch a much better meal. And it's such a simple thing to do. I've served it to others many times, and even those without adventurous palates just love it.

Other recommendations, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Frozen peanut butter and jam sandwich dipped in Red Rose bag tea.

As a boy I learned to love tea for it's revitalising qualities and many a time out ice fishing with my Father a hearty sandwich and tea lunch kept me from succumbing to the Northern Ontario cold. :wub:

• 7 months later...

This topic is always a big one for me, since I am usually drinking some form of tea.. and I generally have quite a few on hand at home. I haven't yet got into greater detail of what should go where and with what exactly.. But I do like choosing the teas carefully along some basic guidelines that take into account whether its a heavy or light tasting meal and whether the tea is light or rich as well. Also important is whether you drink the tea before, during or after the meal. A subtle and fine Long Jing, like mingqian (pre-qing ming) Long Jing also known as dragon well (Ming Qian Long Jing product page) really doesn't cut it for me if I am drinking it after or during a heavier meal. With some sweet snacks it is perfect, or before eating it is great as well. I generally am an Oolong fan, particularly Wu Yi mountain ones like Tie Luo Han. I really love that stuff and I think it is subtle, yet strong enough to complement good foods as well. Usually I'll drink Rou Gui (cassia bark) oolong since is shares similar characteristics with Tie Luo Han and is MUCH cheaper.

Maybe someone can go into greater detail on actual specific food pairing advice...

Joel

Oh.. forgot about chocolate. I'll have to check out that thread you mentioned. I think good Biluochun goes great with chocolate.. Any really good green tea would likely do it. But the last time I had good chocolate (expensive where I am) I happened to have it with that specific tea and the experience is stuck in memory. mmm

tea/food pairings are similar to wine/food pairings.

Remember, protiens soften tannins.

Therefore, high tannin teas, such as ffl Darjeelings, Ceylons from higher elevations, Keemun Mao Feng can be tamed, if that's what you want, with either a small dose of milk or a pastry which incorporates whipped cream.

Earl Grey indeed goes well with chocolate as does matcha.

Both the acidic nature of Earl Grey and the bitterness of matcha pair well with the bittersweetness of chocolate.

I once made an orange flavoured rooibos tea then added gelatin sheets and made oranges rooibos jello.

works with earl grey and jasmine tea as well.

In fact, gelatin sheets are great for many applications.

Pardon the spellin', much wine after a bath = Mmmmmmmmmmmm....relaxxxxxx.

slowfood/slowwine