• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bake sale impaired

Cusina

Monkey bread's often made using tinned biscuit dough. So even though you may have made yours from scratch do be warned that many people will assume that you've not.

Somewhere back in this thread it was pointed out that it's a good idea to make the contents of an item obvious, not entirely covered in frosting or whatever. That's how we do cupcakes, specifically not spreading the frosting all the way to the edge. Not only can the customer still see the cake color below, but there won't be any frosting stuck to the cupcake wrapper (so it's tidier, and nobody's tempted to try and suck the frosting off the paper).

Can you pee in the ocean?

I often do monkey bread in muffin tins. Then you've got individual monkey bread muffins!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Monkey muffins! Cute, tasty and alliterative. :smile: My kids would love those.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

nobody's tempted to try and suck the frosting off the paper).

Is there something inherently wrong with this practice? :unsure: When I was a kid, that was almost the best part of eating a cupcake.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I did a bake sale about a year and a half ago when the carbphobia was really getting into full swing here. I had made mini Splenda cheesecakes for diabetic customers, but they sold WAY ahead of my 'real' stuff, which was a bit disappointing to me even though I had made them. I have found that blonde bar cookies with crushed identifiable candies (Snickers works well) in little cello bags with ribbon sell pretty fast.

nobody's tempted to try and suck the frosting off the paper).

Is there something inherently wrong with this practice? :unsure: When I was a kid, that was almost the best part of eating a cupcake.

Should I admit that I ate the paper? Saved time, less messy.

Heh heh. No, there's nothing inherently wrong with sucking the frosting off the paper. Unless you're a mom, and you're interested in minimizing stray frosting in all its forms.

As for eating the actual paper, was this after you'd eaten the cupcake and were left with the last little bits of soggy cake and frosting stuck to it? Or did you just eat the whole thing in situ, treating it like an integral part of the cake itself?

Can you pee in the ocean?

Here is Grandma Ana's Famous Pierres Recipe.

(She is 92 years old, and will be thrilled to hear that her recipe is online for all to see!)

1-1/3 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup melted butter

4 eggs

1-1/3 cups sugar

2 cups chocolate chips (I use the mini ones)

2 teaspoons vanilla

powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Melt butter. Beat eggs with sugar. Add gradually to flour mixture. Add butter. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Butter a 9x12 Pyrex dish. Pour in batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The chips will all sink to the bottom - you want this to happen.

Sprinkle on powdered sugar while still warm. After it cools, invert and empty from pan, and sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Cut into squares.

These will last for at least a week or two if kept in an airtight cookie tin.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Danielle,

This sounds delicious, but I don't think I'm familiar with this kind of bar. Can you describe the finished product a little? Do the chips melt together in the bottom?

[Eager to try it] Fern

Andisenji's advice is all goooood!

I've also found that individually wrapped slices of cake sell well...marble cakes look good. Bake in a loaf or ring pan for easy slicing.

Appearance - in a cake shop, you see the sliced cross-section. At a bake sale, you are looking from the top down, and in a hurry at that...that's one reason why the old familiar favorites sell well. I usually change one thing, for example making reverse choc-chop cookies instead of the regular kind. Cookie toppings are more important than the basic dough.... :shock:

Non-sweet items can go well too...especially things that can be taken home and served up for lunch! Pizza squares or savory lattice-top pies if you can keep the topping/filling dry enough that it doesn't slide off or out of the base.

As for eating the actual paper, was this after you'd eaten the cupcake and were left with the last little bits of soggy cake and frosting stuck to it? Or did you just eat the whole thing in situ, treating it like an integral part of the cake itself?

Depended who was watching & if I thought there was a better chance of getting seconds if the first one disappeared quickly. :raz: Fibre is good, right?

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

Danielle,

This sounds delicious, but I don't think I'm familiar with this kind of bar. Can you describe the finished product a little? Do the chips melt together in the bottom?

[Eager to try it] Fern

The chips don't melt, so you get a little yellow cake with powdered sugar coated chocolate chips clustered on top. I think I need to make these this weekend.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I would say lemon squares are always a big seller (maybe this is just b/c I like them myself). You could do a special brownie, like rocky road (top w/ marshmallows, choc. chips) or mint (sandwhich andes mints or peppermint patties in the middle- looks nice when sliced).

Also, loaf cakes are great in individually wrapped slices. I do a nice lemon loaf cake, recipe from my grandmother, that is amazing and easy. I also do a pumpkin loaf cake with a cream cheese swirl.

Some other ideas are coconut cupcakes, chocolate dipped shortbreads, carrot cake cookies, oatmeal creme pies, and decorated sugar cookies.

Has anyone posted that peanut butter chocolate topped square that StarBucks sells? I think it has like a bazillion grams of fat equivalent to 6 Big Macs or something??

Anyway it consists of 4 ingredients and even when you know what they are it still doesn't put you off eating one. yeah or maybe 6 but not at one time.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

• 1 year later...

Wow. This thread brings back some fond memories of when my younger sister and I were kids and we'd assist our grandmother with her donations for the church's bake sale.

We used to make chocolate chip cookies, brownies & cupcakes. The chocolate chip cookies always sold out first.

Chocolate chip cookies would be best, I think- for his 5 or 6th birthday, I made my son the snickerdoodle cake out of the 'Cake Doctor' book-well, that's the one he keeps asking for-(I gave my book(it was a gift) to a neighbor, have to check it out of the library now). I made cupcakes for his class last year, but noone ate them (we make them before the school year is over, he's a summer birthday)-I just feel bad that noone else likes 'spice cake' flavor...

We always make the following:

Cookie Lollipops(various cookies with a pretzel log stuck into them for a handle), Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Logs rolled in different things like raisins or jimmies(kids love to pretend these are cigars)

and my own personal favorite-

Chocolate Chip Studded Banana Bread, sliced and whole loaves.

I usually write up a few cards with the recipes on them for concerned parents, and to give away if someone buys a good amount. I have to tell you, the banana bread slices are always a hit, but the silly pretzels are the biggest money maker. We made dark chocolate dipped dried fruit rings a few years back, but it was messy. The vegan moms love those, though!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 1 month later...

I have a bake sale in two weeks. Planned to make my trusty crunchy peanut butter cookies, and mini loaves of pumpkin bread, but now my head is spinning. I see ... mini monkey bread loaves...

But how do you transport iced cupcakes? All of our stuff has to be wrapped - how do you wrap individual or a half dozen iced cupcakes without the icing smearing all over the place?

so much chocolate, so little time ...

Here are the items (total of 126 packs) I contributed to a bake sale today. I didn't have much time and they happened to be the easiest to do and pack. And they sold well.

Lemon Apricot Bars

gallery_12248_3575_27737.jpg

Pistachio Biscotti

gallery_12248_3575_89289.jpg

Hundreds n Thousands Shortbread

gallery_12248_3575_128161.jpg

White chocolate-coated oat bars (with dried longan)

gallery_12248_3575_62205.jpg

Caramel topped Blondies

gallery_12248_3575_7659.jpg

Benedict Bars (Grape Jam over shortbread...shortbread, again?...topped with flaked almonds)

gallery_12248_3575_56251.jpg

Edit to add: I noticed that stalls selling plain cakes and the usual plain-looking cookies didn't sell well. I suppose people wanted some special treat from a bake sale.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah