• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corporate Lunch, central london

I have to arrange a corporate lunch for 11 somewhere in central london in March.  Budget - £30-40ish per head.  Any reccomendations anyone?

The Belverdere could be a possibility if Holland Park isn't too far west. Forty quid a head at lunch for the menu according to the website, but I think thats out of date now as my understanding is that Marco is no longer involved and that since Billy Reid took over the prices have actually gone down.

... May I recommend Le Gavroche at 43 Upper Brook Street in Mayfair- W1K7QR?

They have the most excellent service and a 3 course set price lunch (including 1/2 bottle of wine per person, coffee and petit fours) for very near the cost of your per head budget.

Contact Silvano Giraldin at 020 7499 1826 or 020 7408 0881 and have a chat. He will know exactly how to best serve you and your clients. They may be able to set someting special up for you?

Alternatively, contact them by email at:

bookings@le-gavroche.com

Here's hoping your business prospers!

Good Luck!

Not exactly central London, but worth the extra effort!

Edited by Paula Jonvik (log)

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

Sorry - "corporate" is hardly a fit description of these freeloaders.... its for a bunch of library mangers & it managers (iot - geeks). The boss said arrange somewhere good knowing i'm a foodie. It'll be wasted on them - but hey, its not my budget. Alcohol will feature a lot - if only a bottle of gin with a straw hidden in my jacket.

The gavroche - it would be hilarious to taken them - i'd sell tickets for the occasion: Silvano getting electric shocks from hanging a jacket made from unnatural fibres, my lot - do you do scampi with chips? (OK they're a bit more polished than that, but not much)

How about L'Escargot in Soho? Classic French, one Michelin star. I had a pre-dinner prix fixe around £30 which was good, and I'd expect a similar deal for lunch. The freeloaders might be impressed by the star, and the restaurant has a nice art collection with original s from Picasso, Matisse etc.

Sorry - "corporate" is hardly a fit description of these freeloaders....  its for a bunch of library mangers & it managers (iot - geeks).  The boss said arrange somewhere good knowing i'm a foodie.  It'll be wasted on them - but hey, its not my budget.  Alcohol will feature a lot - if only a bottle of gin with a straw hidden in my jacket.

The gavroche - it would be hilarious to taken them - i'd sell tickets for the occasion: Silvano getting electric shocks from hanging a jacket made from unnatural fibres, my lot - do you do scampi with chips?  (OK they're a bit more polished than that, but not much)

Oh Tony, I feel your pain. These people would be happy with soggy egg salad sandwiches. They probably have never known any different. If you do manage to bring them to Le Gavroche please put me down for a ticket. I'd love to watch.

Perhaps somewhere dependable and not too exotic might be the order of the day. What about trying Homage at the Waldorf? Or my favourite, the Wolseley? If they want a sandwich and chips or a bowl of soup or a steak they can get it there.

Good luck.

Gosh! I hate making restaurant specific posts here, so this isnt specifically targeted at Le Gavroche. Restaurants that excel in service are usually places where the diner is made to feel comfortable, relaxed and are well fed regardless of attire or decibel level. I think it would be a pity to miss any restaurant experience because of intimidation by reputation. My 2c.

Sorry - "corporate" is hardly a fit description of these freeloaders....   its for a bunch of library mangers & it managers (iot - geeks).  The boss said arrange somewhere good knowing i'm a foodie.  It'll be wasted on them - but hey, its not my budget.  Alcohol will feature a lot - if only a bottle of gin with a straw hidden in my jacket.

The gavroche - it would be hilarious to taken them - i'd sell tickets for the occasion: Silvano getting electric shocks from hanging a jacket made from unnatural fibres, my lot - do you do scampi with chips?  (OK they're a bit more polished than that, but not much)

My apologies! I didn't realize that a person had to fit a certain description to enjoy fine service, great food and value for money (aside from no jeans, tennis shoes and t-shirts)! Please disregard my suggestion and enjoy your lunch wherever you end up... But I'm telling you, your preconcieved notions about Le Gavroche are, imho, wrong. They delight in what they do, and I for one, would be proud to set up a lunch for my collegues there... Your's might surprise you, given the opportunity!

Paula

P.S. Just ask Howard Long about Le Gavroche...... He'll tell ya! This is one of the best set lunch deals in the city... you can kill more birds with this stone than any other!

Edited by Paula Jonvik (log)

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

Paula- I'm not sure that BLH is suggesting that you need to be a certain type to enjoy fine service. I think he's laughing at the idea of a group of "geeks" at Le Gavroche.

May I ask what your association with Le Gavroche is? Did you work there?

Le Gavroche interests me as a place to eat. But I find the jacket and tie concept so out of date I doubt I'll ever visit.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I have a lot of dealings with library managers in my work, and find Mr Higgins' view of them at odds with my own experience. I find them generally intelligent, cultured and (no real surprise here) well read. If they're not accustomed to visiting the culinary haunts of many correspondents on this forum, it's mainly because they're paid a f***ing pittance.

Even geeks deserve a decent meal now and then.

Regards

- Tony -

Sorry - "corporate" is hardly a fit description of these freeloaders....   its for a bunch of library mangers & it managers (iot - geeks).  The boss said arrange somewhere good knowing i'm a foodie.  It'll be wasted on them - but hey, its not my budget.  Alcohol will feature a lot - if only a bottle of gin with a straw hidden in my jacket.

Oh Tony, I feel your pain. These people would be happy with soggy egg salad sandwiches. They probably have never known any different. If you do manage to bring them to Le Gavroche please put me down for a ticket. I'd love to watch.

"Oh Tony, I feel your pain."

Absolutely darling, I do so agree - they probably keep coal in the bath! I do hope that they're suitably grateful for the civilising influence that they're about to be exposed to.

I have to arrange a corporate lunch for 11 somewhere in central london in March.  Budget - £30-40ish per head.  Any reccomendations anyone?

ST. JOHN !

www.st.johnrestaurant.com

i was there yesterday and it was fantastic. simple&tasty nothing more, nothing less

I have a lot of dealings with library managers in my work, and find Mr Higgins' view of them at odds with my own experience. I find them generally intelligent, cultured and (no real surprise here) well read. If they're not accustomed to visiting the culinary haunts of many correspondents on this forum, it's mainly because they're paid a f***ing pittance.

Even geeks deserve a decent meal now and then.

Regards

-  Tony  -

how'd you get them to make a decision?

(btw - the library mngrs are lovely - its the IT geeks that scare me)