• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Comptoir du Relais-9, carrefour de l’Odéon

fresh_a

All I know is that the FIRST reservation I was able to snag is for June. I suspect the renovation is taking a lot longer than anticipated.

Went to Le Regalade the other week and liked it. 30 Euros for a more than full (and good) meal!

You'd think this was on a level with the hour by hour recounting of the sinking of the Titanic; but here's today's bulletin: I talked to two carpenters on the sidewalk, aka terrace, fitting wood that looked awfully much like recessed lighting covers and my question: when will you be done?/when will it reopen; ans: either dimanche or demain soir depending on how deaf/unlearned you/I are/am.  In any case, if it reopens this week I'll be surprised, it's a shambles.  But, these guys said the issue is the kitchen reconstruction anyway.

:laugh: I walked by on my way to Odeon and also asked the carpenter, he said it would be be open next week...but I agree, optimistic (unless they're working 24/7).

I walked by on my way to Odeon and also asked the carpenter, he said it would be be open next week...but I agree, optimistic (unless they're working 24/7).

It is; as of today - February 6th - it's up and running and full.

The salle looks exactly the same, the waiter said they only worked on the kitchen and Mister C. was giving what looked like a wine lecture in the hotel lobby.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I spoke to Chef Camdeborde on Saturday and he said it was open. I also asked him about the few reservations available. He advised me he saves them for the patrons of his hotel. I imagine if they don't get filled by the patrons, he releases them at the last moment.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Comptoir again on Friday night and it was fabulous again. Just a quick comment on his reservation system. Chef shows no favoritsm it would seem with his policy. As sitting outside with me was a very well known personality in the French journalistic circles along with a singer giving a concert in Paris this coming month.

The evening ended up with all of (including the chef) sitting inside, singing songs, drinking champagne and wine (some of it courtesy of Yves) and eating birthday gateau. A truly memorable evening.

-An American in Paris

I ate at Comptoir again on Friday night and it was fabulous again.

I called yesterday to get a reservation for April, and was told that they are fully booked until September! I guess I'll just have to show up and take my chances....

I ate at Comptoir again on Friday night and it was fabulous again.

I called yesterday to get a reservation for April, and was told that they are fully booked until September! I guess I'll just have to show up and take my chances....

If you are willing to eat outside just show up. They have heaters and blankets and April should not be that cold. I ate outside Friday and it was wonderful. I imagine the same will not hold true (walk in for an outside seat)during the warmer months.

-An American in Paris

• 4 weeks later...
I called yesterday to get a reservation for April, and was told that they are fully booked until September!  I guess I'll just have to show up and take my chances....

A Parisian friend tried yesterday to reserve for my upcoming visit in May and was told it was not possible to have a table for dinner until October.

Of course, I'm perfectly willing to stay in Paris until the table opens up. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

We will be in Paris for two days in September while travelling through France. We are staying at the Relais Saint Germain that was purchased along with the restaurant by Yves Camdeborde (ex-La Regalade) and have dinner reservations there one evening. Any reviews? From Paris we are travelling down into the Luberon region and would love any tips on apartments for rent or fabulous places to eat and stay. I would also like to take a cooking class or two if anyone has any recommendations. Merci!

HauteDog

We will be in Paris for two days in September while travelling through France.  We are staying at the Relais Saint Germain that was purchased along with the restaurant by Yves Camdeborde (ex-La Regalade) and have dinner reservations there one evening.  Any reviews?  From Paris we are travelling down into the Luberon region and would love any tips on apartments for rent or fabulous places to eat and stay.  I would also like to take a cooking class or two if anyone has any recommendations.  Merci!

Please see here for Le Comptoir and here for something stuff in the Luberon.

John Talbott

From Paris we are travelling down into the Luberon region and would love any tips on apartments for rent

You don't say how long you are staying in the Luberon, but if its more than a week you can get pretty good prices on gites in September as the French & most other Europeans have finished their vacations by then.

Try: www.homelidays.com as a source for gites. Look in the Vaclouse then narrow it down.

The advantage of gites is that you always have cooking facilities so can mess with the wonderful market produce.

• 6 months later...

I asked the Concierge to see about a reservation for me in early February. He has responded that he was told that they do not take reservations in advance, to call the day that you want the reservation to see if they have space!!

My responses was to forget the restaurant! There are far too many great restaurants in Paris where reservations can be made in advance. I will send my list after the holidays.

I asked the Concierge to see about a reservation for me in early February. He has responded that he was told that they do not take reservations in advance, to call the day that you want the reservation to see if they have space!!

My responses was to forget the restaurant! There are far too many great restaurants in Paris where reservations can be made in advance. I will send my list after the holidays.

Don't give up.You will have very little problem going in with no reservation.The key is to go around noon for lunch and before 8.00 pm for dinner.Also weekdays are better.Bon appetit

I will be staying at the Westminster in February. The concierge is most helpful in arranging for the hotel to meet my airport arrival, arrange date and time for the l'Orangerie to finally see the Monet "panels"

The Constannts are good friends and I have communicated with Catherine. I will make my reservation with her.

I have given a list to the hotel concierge for the rest, which includes Taillevent, Dominque Bouchet, Senderens, etc.

Le Comptoir si not that important to me..less so with what you have just said. The review in Zagat does not sound that appealing, either.."seating is cramped".."takes far too long"...probably not my cup of tea!

Looking forward to my visit in Paris..I have been running around too many other areas of France and I now find I am excited about getting "back" to Paris!

Joan

• 10 months later...

Ate there once again last week.

And, once again, at night, it was their "brasserie" menu. I guess because it was a vacation week?

We've been there at least half a dozen or more times, two or three of them at night, and have yet to have their dinner menu. Oh, well.

Waited outside in line for about 20 minutes. Wasn't too bad.

Had a bottle of Rose Petillant Bugey Cerdon 22 euros. Sam thinks its kind of kool aid like, its sweet, but I liked it for a change. 8%. Can't beat that! I like lower alcohol, it allows me to drink more!

Lobster soup. Typical, nothing special. I thought last time I had it that there was a big piece of lobster in it. However, this time there wasn't.

Foie gras presse with pears (didn’t notice pears?)-very pretty layers.

Carre agneau-three or four nice chops, overcooked- over red roasted peppers (they didn’t roast them, I don't think) with vinegar. Definitely over cooked.

Selle agneau with peas, carrots, snow peas, artichokes (didn’t see any).

Demi of Saumur 10 euros.

Terrine agrume avec gelee campari-good! I didn't know what this was. It's basically a few slices of fruit pate, grapefruit and I think maybe pineapple and lemon/lime, citrus flavors.

Sam had to taste their tarte tating and glace vanilla. He said it was good. Not like his, of course!

The waitress took us next door to the hotel to try and book dinner- for the end of January, for his birthday. This is November, and they turned us down. We tried for 5 different nights to no avail.

Philly Francophiles

Ate there once again last week.

And, once again, at night, it was their "brasserie" menu. I guess because it was a vacation week?

We've been there at least half a dozen or more times, two or three of them at night, and have yet to have their dinner menu. Oh, well.

What night did you try? They only serve the menu gastronomique Monday-Friday, so if you went on the weekend that would explain it.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

It was Monday night, November 5th.

We were in Paris in early November and went to make a reservation. We wanted it in February 08.

To arm myself because of the expected difficulty, I brought a mango carmel from a visit to Jacques Jenin as a funny " bribe" if needed( they give them to the guests at night).

We could not get a dinner reservation. All booked until June 08 if we wanted one then!!!!!!!

I have some difficulty believing this all-booked-up thing. Many other small, successful and, I should add, better restaurants do not impose such a long wait. The restaurant is not that good anyway. A three-week, one-month wait, would perhaps sound acceptable. But November until June... I just don't understand. I even think that would be reason enough not to try to book there; maybe if no one ever tried again they would update their manners.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Pti's analysis, as a Frenchperson, is telling: the Anglo press has made (and continues to make) such a mecca of this place that it is booked far beyond its merit. When you finally get your reservation, you can be sure that you will be dining with your stateside next-door neighbors rather than locals who tried it early and moved on. If this is your goal, the frustration and wait may be worth it to you.

That said, a friend has just returned and had good things to say about the lunch she enjoyed there: excellent roast chicken, no wait for a table. Will that suffice?

eGullet member #80.

I have some difficulty believing this all-booked-up thing. Many other small, successful and, I should add, better restaurants do not impose such a long wait. The restaurant is not that good anyway. A three-week, one-month wait, would perhaps sound acceptable. But November until June... I just don't understand. I even think that would be reason enough not to try to book there; maybe if no one ever tried again they would update their manners.

As usual, I fully agree with Pti. I went once for dinner with my charming cohost and we had a good meal but it was not the be all and end all. As for
good things to say about the lunch she enjoyed there
my batting average at lunch is 500; one OK, one dreadful.

I've not been back since the latter.

John Talbott