• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Big Fat Greek Dinner Party

12 guests around for dinner this week end. I decided to cook Greek food as I was feeling a little homesick (Melbourne has a large Greek population).

I started with various Meze, including mixed

salata and bread:

Clockwise form the top we have beetroot, chickpea, cucumber, carrot and fish roe salata.

gallery_1643_762_86398.jpg

Deep fried small fish (in this case Sprats):

gallery_1643_762_781544.jpg

Tiny figs from Shiraz, flavoured with fresh bayleaves and pepper:

gallery_1643_762_504579.jpg

Baby eels. OK, this isn't really Greek, but I had them and I flavoured them with ouzo and lemon :smile: :

gallery_1643_762_171329.jpg

At this point I was very busy, so no photographs of grilled haloumi, spanakopita or dolmades. Sorry.

For the main we had pork and bean casserole, seafood pilaw and red mullet with a rich sauce, stuffed tomatos, roast potatoes with lemon and peas. Again too rushed for photgraphs, but here are the raw ingredients:

Excellent seafood from 'Eddies Seafood' in Edinburgh. Excellent quality seafood in a city the routinely does mediocre seafood at resturants:

gallery_1643_762_218513.jpg

gallery_1643_762_53878.jpg

gallery_1643_762_698484.jpg

gallery_1643_762_546469.jpg

Stuffed tomatos before baking:

gallery_1643_762_624858.jpg

As I said, no photgraphs that night, but here are some images of next days leftovers. Doesn't really do the meal justice, but there you go:

Seafood pilaw:

gallery_1643_762_677799.jpg

Pork and beans:

gallery_1643_762_705703.jpg

Red Mullet (this looks very sorry compared to the original :sad: ):

gallery_1643_762_729671.jpg

Dessert was sticky Yogurt cake, either with quince surup or with cintron and bergamont syrup:

gallery_1643_762_134553.jpg

A slice of the quince verion, the cream is amadine, sheets of dried apricot juice that are soaked in hot water and whipped into a cream, as you can see:

gallery_1643_762_7988.jpg

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Very nice, indeed, Adam.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm starting to regret the inclusion of the eels....One of my guests is a fish biologist and I thought he would be interested in them. They actually from a tin. As to what they are, we are unsure. The ones I have eaten in Spain have eye spots, these don't but they are much small. So they could be fake. However, the fish biologist and he thought that they may be too immature to have pigmentation (although its unclear how their eyes would work). On the otherhand, he also pointed out the the European eel population has crashed 90% in the last two decades and that we really shouldn't be eating them at all.

So, I am in the position of potentially serving fakes on one hand or eating and endangered species on the other. An ethical Schrodinger's cat situation. Not knowing the true will set you free.

Concentrate on the sprats, not the damn eels :wink:

Excellent seafood from 'Eddies Seafood' in Edinburgh. Excellent quality seafood in a city the routinely does mediocre seafood at resturants:

Ahha! I must seek this one out, the fishcounter at sainsburys is not great, but ignorance about where to find a good fishmonger has kept me there :sad:

Any recomendations for butchers? I'm looking for someone who does game too....

back on topic, the meal looks delicious, the sprats in particular :wub:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Is the recipe for the fish roe salata available?? My darling has taken a fancy to it, as have I, and the stuff I bought from the deli for a fix doesn't cut it.

The recipe I used was from Rosemary Barron's excellent "Flavours of Greece.

However, interesting as it is to make, it is expensive and takes some time. Not sure where you are, but looking for another deli source may be a better option. PM me if you would like the recipe though,

The recipe was from the above mentioned Rosemary Barron book. Briefly, the red mullet are sauted, then removed. Garlic is then gently sauted then red wine vinegar and honey are added and reduced. Tomatos are then added along with cinnamon and raisins. This is then reduced somewhat and the flavours allowed to mellow. The key is the honey, I used a dark Greek honey which produces a very complex flavour profile without too much sweetness. This fish are then warmed in the sauce. This recipe was very good and definately the most requested recipe for the evening.

My only complaint was that the sauce colour obscured the beautiful colour if the red mullet. But, given how many people seem to be looking at cooking as a visual art in the last few years, it is refreshing to find a new recipe that is so delicious and flavour orientated.

AlexP - thank you very much for the link. Ah, so they were fake, then is interesting (fish biologist friend will be happy to find this out) and now I don't have to feel guilty about eating them (although I still have to deal with the guilt of eating baby fish in Malaga). I had no idea that the elvers were now this expensive, reflects the population crash I guess. I had though I read that many elvers consumed in Spain were caught in S. England, I wonder if that price mentioned by vsera was for imported or local elvers?

AlexP - thank you very much for the link. Ah, so they were fake, then is interesting (fish biologist friend will be happy to find this out) and now I don't have to feel guilty about eating them (although I still have to deal with the guilt of eating baby fish in Malaga). I had no idea that the elvers were now this expensive, reflects the population crash I guess. I had though I read that many elvers consumed in Spain were caught in S. England, I wonder if that price mentioned by vsera was for imported or local elvers?

The kilo of angulas has hit 700 euros this Christmastime in Madrid. That's almost $400 a pound.

Egad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My knowledge of the subject is quite limited. Growing up in Northern Spain, I saw baby eels at home once in a while. Patients of my father will give them to us as a gift.

I barely see them in Spanish menus when I am at home. Vserna would be best to explain where his are coming from, but my guess is that they could be from the Northern Coast of Spain. Some on my friends years ago will go fishing for them at night. If you were lucky it could be quite lucrative for a teenager.

Sad to say, but I will feel lucky if I have the chance to eat them again, even once, specially at those prices.

Alex