• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adesso Bistro and Lounge

Not that it matters... but I am curious to know whether or not there actually was a restaurant in operation during the transition time between "Yew First" and "Adesso"..... was I perhaps hallucinating? (not the first time  :wink:

Luciano..... can you answer this? (if you don't mind :smile: )

Am I correct in my assumption that there was another Italian restaurant in place after "Yew First" and prior to Adesso? I am almost positive I saw signage to this affect and even read something about it (otherwise I would not have posted so above :unsure: ) but as no one has since confirmed it... I'm beginning to wonder...

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Not that it matters... but I am curious to know whether or not there actually was a restaurant in operation during the transition time between "Yew First" and "Adesso"..... was I perhaps hallucinating? (not the first time  :wink:

Am I correct in my assumption that there was another Italian restaurant in place after "Yew First" and prior to Adesso? I am almost positive I saw signage to this affect and even read something about it (otherwise I would not have posted so above :unsure: ) but as no one has since confirmed it... I'm beginning to wonder...

I recall that there was a family that bought Da Pasta Bar. I don't remember if they were Yew First or prior to that. Shortly after they bought it, one of the brothers discovered he had a brain tumor. They closed up before they even got off the ground. Understandably so.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I recall that there was a family that bought Da Pasta Bar. I don't remember if they were Yew First or prior to that. Shortly after they bought it, one of the brothers discovered he had a brain tumor. They closed up before they even got off the ground. Understandably so.

Sorry to take so long in answering your question. Nyles is quite right. Yew First had two sets of owners. It was open about 18 months in all under that name. Both owners were Korean families.

Hello folks,

I would like to thank everyone for all the great comments we have received. Iam the sous chef at Adesso. My name is Joseph Thomas for those who dont know me. Not only is today Valentines day, but its also my first month with Adesso. Working with Travis Williams has been nothing but a dream come true. We both share a deep love and passion for food. Its been an honour to work with him. And as for the front of the house; Luciano, Carol and Gianfranco are some of the nicest people i have ever met, let alone work for.

Our Valentines menu is quite impressive so come on in tonight and enjoy.

Yours in Hospitality,

Adesso Sous

:raz:

Hello folks,

I would like to thank everyone for all the great comments we have received. Iam the sous chef at Adesso. My name is Joseph Thomas for those who dont know me. Not only is today Valentines day, but its also my first month with Adesso. Working with Travis Williams has been nothing but a dream come true. We both share a deep love and passion for food. Its been an honour to work with him. And as for the front of the house; Luciano, Carol and Gianfranco are some of the nicest people i have ever met, let alone work for.

Our Valentines menu is quite impressive so come on in tonight and enjoy.

Yours in Hospitality,

Adesso Sous

:raz:

Gush....... :biggrin: Gahhhhhh

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

Just came back from a fantastic lunch. I ate with montrachet and appreciator, so we got to sample quite a few dishes from the menu.

We had:

-aracini

-arugula salad with candied pecans, gorgonzola, pear

-crispy calamari with prawns

-butternut squash and roasted fennel pizza

-red wine risotto with wild mushrooms

It's not often that I can heartily recommend each and every dish I try at a restaurant, but I honestly really enjoyed everything I had today. The crust on the pizza was amazingly light, very delicate, and almost cracker-like. The risotto was incredibly rich (and this was probably my favourite dish at lunch, if I really had to choose just one). The prawns that came with the crispy calamari was so fresh! And of course, the aracini was everything I hoped it would be--crispy crust on the outside, gooey cheese on the inside.

Lunch was an incredible bargain (only $20, and that's including tax and tip!) It was definitely one of the best lunches I've had in the past year.

-aracini

What?! No Vitello Tonnato?

You've got to be kidding me! :laugh:

Can't wait to go again soon!

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

-aracini

Can't wait to go again soon!

Vitello Tonnato is only on the dinner menu, but it is available any time. :wink:

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

-aracini

One can't try everything yah know... sheesh. I too enjoyed all the items we sampled today and will definitely be back for dinner some time soon. Great lunchtime dining companions as well I might add :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Vitello Tonnato is only on the dinner menu, but it is available any time. :wink:

Ciao

I didn't know that! I really wanted to order it, but saw that it was only on the Dinner menu when I checked the menu online last night. Aw man. Will have to come back for that (and the risotto, pizza, aracini, and calamari).

edited because of being unintentionally insulting..... mea culpa :blink:

sarah

Stupid question number 1:..... today at lunch between noon and 1:15 who was in the kitchen.... :laugh:

Next stupid question....

Can we have the recipe for the arancini??? :huh:

Next stupid question.... (I'll PM you)

In the meantime... I am sure that any number of business's will cotton on...... it's just a matter of time. :biggrin:

sarah

Still, hardly any mention of our Elk Balls.

The bells on our door have hardly chimed since Mr. Maw's last visit.

Thank you eGullet for destroying our restaurant's stellar rep. :hmmm:

Bjorn.

PS. Risotto balls...pfff! :angry: What do they know about cooking in Italy!?

Thanks again to waiterblog for letting me use his account.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Mr. Maw... what does he know..... elk balls my ass.... it is moose balls where things are at these days .... just ask peppyre!

Although we did not sample these balls at Adesso today....

Let's keep on topic shall we? :unsure:

Still, hardly any mention of our Elk Balls.

The bells on our door have hardly chimed since Mr. Maw's last visit.

Thank you eGullet for destroying our restaurant's stellar rep.  :hmmm:

Bjorn.

PS. Risotto balls...pfff!  :angry: What do they know about cooking in Italy!?

Thanks again to waiterblog for letting me use his account.

sarah

Stupid question number 1:..... today at lunch between noon and 1:15 who was in the kitchen.... :laugh:

Next stupid question....

Can we have the recipe for the arancini???  :huh:

Next stupid question.... (I'll PM you)

In the meantime... I am sure that any number of business's will cotton on...... it's just a matter of time. :biggrin:

No question is ever stupid. Answer #1, I was in the kitchen while you ate your lunch. Next answer, of course you can have the arancini recipe.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

I have just returned from a month and a half in Washington, DC, where I ate out like a queen but was oddly not satisfied overall with the meal experiences I had there. I had forgotten how conservative and traditional the menus and presentation can be in DC -- a far far cry from the rich, inventive food preparation and presentation here in Vancouver. I am happy to be home.

And with that said, I just caught up on this thread, and am quite impressed by the menu at Adesso. My husband and I plan to visit soon (perhaps this weekend) -- and it looks as though deciding from the menu, particularly, the appetizers, will be quite challenging!

Katherine

Food Lover -- nothing more/nothing less

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Yesterday, to my surprise while entering Adesso (I forgot to check the ISO thread) there sat Montrachet, Ling, and Appreciator. They surprisingly recommended everything they had. And did I see Ling leave without having a dessert?!?

We had the arancini, fettucine with sliced beef tenderloin, and spaghettini with prawns and scallops, and lemon tart. I also had a glass of red which I chose only b/c Mike recommended it and I liked how it sound...something Montepulciano. The arancini were delicious, but they didn't WOW me. I think these would be easy to make at home except the temp. would have to be right on to get the same crispiness on the outside. The fettucine WOWED me, but my husband gobbled it up so fast I only got two bites. I was worried about the prawns and scallops on my dish not being fresh and the pasta being gummy, but I was so wrong to worry. This dish was also delicious, light and fresh. The scallops were tender and just cooked to the point where they weren't raw in the middle, beautiful. The best part being the pasta was cooked truly al dente. Finally, we have found good pasta in Vancouver. Will it be consistent? I hope so for next time. The lemon tart was disappointing. The pastry was dense and it almost tasted like it had picked up some other odours from the fridge and it's very hard to match my mother's pastry which I grew up on. The lemon curd part was okay, but the lemon tart at the Wedgewood is better (and I'm not just saying that b/c I work there). The best part of the dessert was the raspberry sorbetto, which is from Mario's which it seems most restaurants are using these days. However, Adesso must be keeping the storage temp right b/c it had a better texture (very smooth, slightly melted) compared to other places where I have had it or by the time it got to me, it was at the right temp. My husband had an espresso, but I forgot to ask him how it was.

Our bill was $30 each with tip and tax. The service was excellent, but there was only one other table other than us after Ling, Mike, and Appreciator left. Nice welcoming, cozy room. Bathroom by entry door is still there, but blends in better. Luciano gave me a handful of business cards to give out and I will do that b/c I think they deserve it based on my first visit. How I hope my second visit is the same. I will go when it's busy to check it out again.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Yesterday, to my surprise while entering Adesso (I forgot to check the ISO thread) there sat Montrachet, Ling, and Appreciator. They surprisingly recommended everything they had. And did I see Ling leave without having a dessert?!?

Don't be ridiculous; I had dessert at the Elysian Room following our lunch at Adesso! :laugh:

Having just recovered from the worst cough in all of Christendom, we've had to postpone our dinner at Adesso for two weeks. But I'm happy to read all of the excellent reviews... sounds like we've made the right venue choice and I can't wait!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'd like to bring the wife and son over for brunch on Sunday but I don't see arancini on the brunch menu. It is the promise of arancini that will lure my wife to Adesso. (see my previous post)

If we ask nicely, will there be arancini on Sunday?

Although I will not be working on Sunday, My Sous Chef Joseph, (Former RWA Hardcore Champion 'Chef Pain' ) will be at the helm, and would be more than happy to fix an order of Arancini for you and your family. I hope you enjoy your brunch. :biggrin:

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com