• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adesso Bistro and Lounge

what i want is the recipe for elk balls, if it truly exists... i just moved to a place with a resident elk herd and i have friends who hunt, but wouldn't have a clue what might be an interesting and tasty preparation method...

so...? who's got balls? :raz:

I posted our recipe here. Many have PM'ed for this recipe saying that Penguin meat in Canada is incerasingly difficult to come by. You're on your own there...substitute with whatever you like.

And by the way, eGulleters, Sven Chen's recipe for our elk balls is as follows:

"Köttbullar"

1 dl (½ cup) fine dry bread Swedish breadcrumbs

1 dl (½ cup) light elk cream

1 dl (½ cup) water (must be Swedish!)

200 g (7 oz.) ground elk meat

200 g (7 oz.) ground penguin (can be tinned)

1½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground allspice

2 tbl grated yellow onion

(and/or 2 crushed garlic cloves)

1 egg, beaten like the French

3 tbl margarine or for a more pungent flavour, elk butter

Serves two centres, a rw, a lw, and a power-forward.

Come on down, we're open late.

Who needs hangar steak (how perverse!) when you can feast on Jorgen's rutt-picked elk balls.

And Mr. Maw, no more singing, lout. Otherwise I PM Sven Chen and let him know what venom lurks from the jaws he so unwittingly deigned to feed.

Bjorn Thorsenblorgenstadtlanderen (or Matt).

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

And by the way, eGulleters, Sven Chen's recipe for our elk balls is as follows:

Thanks, Mr. Thorsenblorgenstadtlanderen, but eating p*nguin is against my religion (and as I am orthodox, and therefore strictly adhere to the dietary code) the presence of it in a recipe precludes me from using that recipe as I would now see other things used as p*nguin substitutes. I should have told you that before I asked for the recipe, since if you had substituted any other meat I could have gone ahead and used the recipe. But the restrictions of Blorgenstadtism, while arduous at times, are part of the path I have chosen.

Oh my, I just noticed something! Your name and the name of our faith, they are *awfully* similar, do you suppose there might be a connection? You know, it might even explain the presence of the p*nguin, since the prohibition against consuming it was added after the church was founded; and in some ways it was in response to the common presence of it in family recipes. After all, in light of what was later discovered about p*nguins, there was certainly no way we could continue eating them! It's just too bad it led to the schism in the church.

Is it an old family recipe? Are any members of your family Blorgenstadts?

Oops, I just realized, this really isn't an appropriate forum for religious discussion, so I will stop now. (sorry everyone)

But it is an interesting synchronicity. Really.

Oh, I also found <a href='http://www.healthyelkmeat.com/elkrecipes/elk-meatball-appetizers.html'> this </a> and <a href='http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/UKTVFoodpreview/recipes.recipeitem/ID/4073.shtm'> this </a>. And in reading them, I am thinking that a combination of the two looks like a fair place to start for the meat; but that horrendous sounding "sauce" on the first? I think I'll try something more like the tomato chili relish from the second. Thoughts?

Actually I just booked for this evening at 6pm so we will be trying the Arancini then. :smile:

Although I will not be working on Sunday, My Sous Chef Joseph, (Former RWA Hardcore Champion 'Chef Pain' ) will be at the helm, and would be more than happy to fix an order of Arancini for you and your family. I hope you enjoy your brunch. :biggrin:

Ciao

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

We finally made it to Adesso last night.

Very pleasant evening all around. Nice honest food and a comfortable room.

I had the Portobello mushroom with goat cheese and prosciutto. Nice blend of flavours, and a very pretty presentation. I thought the greens were a touch under seasoned and the dish would have benefited from a little more acid to balance the richness of the cheese and mushroom.

James had smoked salmon risotto cakes. I had a small bite, and enjoyed it. He seemed to really like them, they disappeared almost immediately.

For mains he had the venison Osso Bucco which he loved. I managed a small sampling and also really liked it.

I had the Gnocchi with gorgonzola, roasted pears, and hazelnuts. The gnocchi were gorgeous and the gorgonzola sauce was light and still rich. Two minor problems with the dish from my perspective. The pears retain heat much better than the gnocchi, so every other bite was really hot, and the contrast in temperatures made it hard appreciate the blending of flavours. And once more, I thought the dish would have been better with a little more acid to finish. This is a common complaint of mine, and should be read purely as indicative of my palate. I like acid. I like bitter. There was nothing wrong with the design or execution of either of the dishes, just not 100% perfectly matched to my taste.

We were way too full for dessert, but had some anyway. James had a brulee and I had the molten chocolate cake. Both were wonderful.

Service was wonderful. Attentive, kind, and very friendly. Wine pairing was expertly handled, and we presented a challenge. One main demanding a wine with gusto and the other asking for a light easy wine. We had a very nice Chianti Ruffina which met very happily in the middle.

We'll go back, absolutely.

I have but I am a bit embarassed about it :huh:

As parents of a 1.5 year old who are avid foodies and restaurant visitors, things get crazy sometimes. We thought we had his habits sussed out, around 6pm he will be sleepy and hungry enough to quietly sit in his chair and eat his food. So we headed for Adesso last Saturday for a 6pm dinner, eager to try out the place.

Well, we were wrong.

We got about 30 minutes into dinner when we decided to bail. Pack up the uncontrollable toddler and the food and head home where he can rampage without being a tripping hazard for servers and bothering other guests.

However the food we had was great. My wife loved the Arancini, so you passed the picky Italian diner test :smile:

I can't remember the other starter we had (too much chaos happening) but the mains we had were great, I had the braised shortribs and Ms. Chocoholic had the pasta con vongole, which she polished off at home with Chocoholic Jr. who devoured them as well. He also had some of the shortribs and pasta which also went down very well.

We also had the chorizo pizza, originally ordered for the little one, we had that on Sunday and liked it so much that when I had to drop by to pick up the bib we left behind, picked up two more pizzas to take home.

Many thanks to the staff at Adesso for being very friendly and helpful, even when Chocoholic Jr. was running around demanding attention from the restaurant staff and creating general chaos. The wife and I will definately be back, this time with the little one at home with a babysitter!

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted my review on our long-overdue post-Valentine's Day dinner in the Truth be told thread. A fabulous dinner, indeed, and I'm already looking forward to our next visit... the fettuccini with beef tenderloin and the tiramisu are calling out, "Taste test me, taste test me!" :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Travis' tasting menu for the upcoming "Taste of Liguria" is now up.  :wub:

Where is it up? i just checked the website. Did I miss it? I rushed thru it looking for pesto mind you.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I've been told some of the PM invites didn't go through for the upcoming Taste of Liguria at Adesso. If you didn't get one, you should have! PM for the details. :biggrin:

Yours with fork and knife,

Andrew

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

The suggested wine pairings have just been made available. :biggrin:

Chestnut Soup: Montresor Chardonnay Della Luna

Appetizer choices: Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio.

Tagliatelle: Sella E Mosca Vermentino Di Sardegna

Sea Bream: Chianti Rufina Basciano.

Marjoram Chicken: Tommasi Ripasso.

Both Deserts: Moscato D’asti.

If you have any questions about the event on the 20th, please PM me.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

By the way, great writeup in today's Queue section of The Vancouver Sun!

Yes, congratulations to Travis and his charming proprietors who have hit that combination of neighbourly dining at affordable prices, but with destination-quality cooking. Our two visits there have been very pleasant indeed; the discipline on Travis's resume shines through.

Well done,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Enjoy everyone, I'll be celebrating my birthday with a wet round of golf!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

I'm excited about this event. See you all tomorrow evening.

I've been thinking about the menu, trying to figure out what I'm going to have and I'm leaning towards this:

Chestnut soup with extra virgin olive oil

Herbed rice tart with artichoke, leek and Parmigiano-Reggiano :wub:

Lemon Sorbetto

Marjoram crusted free range chicken breast on cippoline onions, porcini mushroom & Swiss chard with herbed roasting jus

Blood orange panna cotta, blackberry sauce and basil infused crème anglaise :wub:

What's your menu plan?

Wines, I'm still not sure. I'll trust Luciano.

Andrew Morrison

Oh dear - I'm spouse-less tomorrow-does that make me even more of a loser?

Of course not!! Of course, this is coming from the woman that is always single at these things.

Table for 3, Tricia, Lee, and Sasha? James had to cancel for tonight.