• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CNY Reunion Dinner

Tepee

We already had 2! One impromptu one at my in-laws on Saturday coz one of the sis was going to be away during CNY. Another one, we had last nite at my parent's...a potluck. The menu was relatively un-banquety and it catered mainly for the grandchildren - 9 of them.

We started off with Yee Sang brought/bought by my tai go. This is the pic before "lo hei".

gallery_12248_761_160234.jpg

This is "during"...

gallery_12248_761_67626.jpg

and this is "after"

gallery_12248_761_94052.jpg

We were late so I had to make a quick job of the photo-taking...excuse the quality.

Mushroom/veggie dish made by mom

gallery_12248_761_9679.jpg

Seafood soup with every exotic sea-creature in it made by mom

gallery_12248_761_10681.jpg

Sweet sour fish fillet made by yee so

gallery_12248_761_21267.jpg

Deep-fried wantan made by mom and some grandkids

gallery_12248_761_40916.jpg

Pak cham kai (white chop chicken) made by mom

gallery_12248_761_71602.jpg

to be taken with gallery_12248_761_50795.jpg

Yee Cheong always makes Teochew duck but this time he made braised trotters

gallery_12248_761_78384.jpg

Since it was my sis's hubby's bday the next day, she made a carrot cake

gallery_12248_761_40133.jpg

DH and I had a jelly challenge. He made cendol agar-agar

gallery_12248_761_91325.jpg while I made lychee agar-agar with big sago balls and kwei feh lychee liqueur.

gallery_12248_761_133998.jpg

Guess who won?

My yee ko made this tong sui, called "mat du yao", it really has 'everything' in it from gingko nuts, red beans, sea coconut, tiny cubed sweet potatoes, longan, lotus seeds....

gallery_12248_761_119048.jpg

This year, they seem to be introducing a tiny kam/mandarin orange (next to tong sui). They are quite sweet and cute, and supposedly doesn't give the sup yit effect.

After the heavy meal, we went for a walk to the night market (pasar malam in Malay) and bought these neen go in banana leaves. The one on the left is trimmed.

gallery_12248_761_97541.jpg

2 down, one to go. The actual in-law do will be on the eve itself. I'll be making braised abalone with mushroom and fatt choy.

Soooooo...what are you having?

Edited: wrong image was inserted.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I am impressed. :wub:

You are VERY hungry and envious :raz::laugh:

as am I! :biggrin:

Teepee, would you please describe what was in the Yee Sang?

In the mushroom/veg dish, was that creamed seafood, scallop, on top?

Everything looks wonderful! Thank you. :smile:

Gung Hai Fat Choy!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks, Yetty, Ben and Sue-On. Gung Hei Fatt Choy to you and all at eGullet too!

Yetty, as for ang pows, we who are married are on the giving side, not the receiving side. However, it is fun to give, although inflation has hiked up the amount of $$ expected somewhat. :hmmm:

Sue-On, you can see how yee sang is made here. It's a great appetizer, but I don't mind swapping this for your loh bak goh. And, that wasn't creamed seafood in the veggie dish. It was crab meat. But, if I'm not mistakened, there was dried scallops in that dish too.

Can't wait to see what you guys had. After posting this thread, I realized that there is another similar thread going on in General Food Topics. I hope I didn't cause too much confusion.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Gosh, I didn't realize I said 'ang-pow'. Yes, it's Hokkien/Fook Kin. Malaysian chinese are quite at home with several of the main dialects, ie. Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien. I'm Hakka and hubby is Teochew, but we speak Cantonese to each other besides English. Go figure.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Hi TP

Very yummy 'tuen neen fan' pictures. We've been taking the easy way out in my family for the past few years for the reunion dinner and 'hoi neen' - we eat out I'm afraid! Here's what we had:

Yue Sang - before the 'lo-hei' (mixing) and during

gallery_3270_792_25238.jpggallery_3270_792_12237.jpg

Sharksfin soup

gallery_3270_792_2982.jpg

Hoi Sum Mun Tung Gu (Sea Cucumber Braised with Mushrooms)

gallery_3270_792_19896.jpg

Steamed Pomfret with Suet Choy

gallery_3270_792_1824.jpg

Yuk Lan Fei Kai (Poached chicken with Kai Lan and Yunnan Ham)

gallery_3270_792_5793.jpg

Jeen Har Lok (Fried Prawns)

gallery_3270_792_11415.jpg

Lap Mei Fan

gallery_3270_792_6493.jpg

Hoong Tau Sar with Tong Yuen

gallery_3270_792_3732.jpg

Mar Tai Go and Wor Paeng

gallery_3270_792_10431.jpg

Hi Michael / Yetty

Come visit KL / Singapore (as Yue Sang is a Malaysian / Singaporean Chinese dish) during Chinese New Year the next time!

The ingredients for Yue Sang vary slightly from place to place but it's basically a mixture of julienned vegtables, pomelo, finely shredded candied and preserved fruit and fruit peels, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, fried dough pieces, jellyfish, slices of raw fish topped with a dressing of mainly plum sauce and oil with a dash of salt and pepper. Tepee posted a link to Renee's Shiokadelicious blog which features her family's version of Yue Sang.

Here's a picture of the various bits and pieces before it was topped with the fried dough pieces and dressing. gallery_3270_792_22748.jpg.

The signifance of the communal mixing / tossing of Yue Sang (loh hei) is for good luck in the coming year. The loh hei is usually accompanied by sayings for good luck, wealth and prosperity - it's also believed that the higher you toss the Yue Sang, the better it is, as it symbolizes greater heights of good luck, wealth and prosperity in the coming year.

Yue Sang used to be eaten on the seventh day of Chinese Year (Yan Yaat - everybody's birthday) only but it now shows up on restuarant menus well before Chinese New Year (like a month before) and is available right till the last (15th) day of Chinese New Year.

Thanks Ben :smile:!

Hi TP - the dinner was at Magic Wok in Damansara Jaya. It's open throughout Chinese New Year ... unfortunately it can be quite a wait, as is the case in all Chinese restaurants during this period. Our dinner 'session' was at 9pm ... and there were still others waiting for their tables!

The mar tai gou was sort of a mixture of mar tai (water chestnuts) and suk mai (corn) - the texture wasn't quite the usual, it was more like the nyonya hoen keuh texture.

Hi TP - the dinner was at Magic Wok in Damansara Jaya. It's open throughout Chinese New Year ... unfortunately it can be quite a wait, as is the case in all Chinese restaurants during this period. Our dinner 'session' was at 9pm ... and there were still others waiting for their tables!

Do they allow reservations?

BTW, I love the latest Haven issue. Good job!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

TP -

Magic Wok does take reservations. I think most people there for Chinese New Year's Eve would have made reservations (most restaurants will advise you to book when you call up to check whether they're open for the eve) however there were tables that still ended up waiting that night as the previous sitting finished dinner late. If you'd like their number for future references, it's 03-7729 2288.

Michael - I haven't written any published articles I'm afraid :wink:.