• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2005–2008)

chefbrendis

No picts, sorry, camera is being a devil lately. I have been waiting for this wonderful cheese (goat cheese mind you) to return to my local farmers market (I guess they come evey other week as they are about a 6 hour drive away!).

I am a HUGE cheese lover, all kinds. Give me anything from your classic and mundane (sp) cheddar, provolone or munster and I will love it, all the way to the stinkiest of blues, creamy anythings (I love my creamy oozy cheese with the rinds), and I will be happy. I love cows, sheep, and elk milk cheese. It has always bothered me though, that for some odd reason I have always hated goat cheeses. I mean I WANTED to enjoy them. I just couldnt...and I am always open to trying them, all assortments and varieties, so that was not the issue.

However, this lovely cheese vendor (again, goat cheese) http://www.capriolegoatcheese.com/cheeses.htm, is AMAZING!!! Three weeks ago I stumbled upon them at the marker, and for some reason felt compelled to try the cheeses, even though they are all goat. Maybe it was the LONG line forming in front of thier tent, much longer than any other line at this very popular market in Lincoln Park, Chicago. So, I tried one, it was the O'Banon:

(From thier site)

"While banon has been made for centuries in the Haute Provence, ours, he says, has an important difference, "it is much, much better than any I've tasted in France." The French cheese is smaller & ripened, but we like it larger & fresher to give a lighter, palate cleansing edge to heavier cheeses on a cheese board. Traditionally, the chestnut leaves used to wrap the cheese were soaked in eau de vie. We use Old Forester or Woodford Reserve Bourbon--our favorites. The tannins in the leaves & the bourbon combine to give this creamy, dense cheese just a nuance of a kick!"

AMAZING, I was in love, and so thankful for the lady who was working the tent (straight from the farm) for introducing me to my new favorite cheese. Yes, you heard me. Goat went from my only "ICK" cheese to my most "Oh my gosh I am in love give me more!!!" Variety. It was amazing. Last week I returned looking for the goat vendor...they were MIA and I found out from a different cheese (Cow milk, also very nice vendor with great cheeses that I buy from weekely) vendor that they come bi-weekly due to the drive and thier high demand/busy schedule. So, low-and-behold, today my prayers were answered (thank you very much up there in the sky!) and they were there this morning :) I tried all of thier cheeses, loved each, but only bought two because just two set me back 22.00 dollars...and I am the only one to eat them (greg, my fiance...yeah right....he wouldnt like them...which is great leaves them all for ME ME ME!!!). This time I purchased the Wabash Cannonball. 3oz. ball of chevre dusted with ash. 1995 ACS Best of Show. (Wholesale: 6/cs.) 10 day pre-order. And the

Crocodile Tear. 3oz. cone of chevre, dusted with paprika. (Wholesale (12/cs). 14 day preorder. Both so good, kind of crumbly, kind of creamy. Definetly creamy once they hit your tonge they are sooo creamy...simply lushious.

You can visit thier site, they do mail order <3

Hope someone else enjoys this as much as I do, I will try to post picturesif my camera shapes up tomorrow...but they might be gone by then!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Lindsay Ann,

You stumbled on a goldmine with that one!

Judy Schad from Capriole, has been making incredible cheeses for about 20 years. She was even featured in "People" magazine a few years ago.

All of her cheeses have a wonderful flavor and she scoops up ribbons at the American Cheese Society year after year, for good reason.

I am a huge fan of her washed-rind, called Mont. St. Francis. If they have that at the market, give it a try. Also the Crocodile Tears are great for entertaining - cute little cone shapes and yummy paste. But, I agree, that Wabash Cannonball is a little sphere of delight.

You must have a great farmer's market!

This is great! I want to hear more, more more about American artisanal cheeses.

These goat cheeses sound wonderful. I'd like to hear more about the cows milk cheese on the 'off' week.

You may even lure me home - at least for a while.

No cheeses of note at market today, but I am posting some pics later in the French thread.

This is great! I want to hear more, more more about American artisanal cheeses.

These goat cheeses sound wonderful. I'd like to hear more about the cows milk cheese on the 'off' week.

You may even lure me home - at least for a while.

No cheeses of note at market today, but I am posting some pics later in the French thread.

Alright you got it. I will do everything in my power to NOT use my camera until next wednesday (thats when the market is here (and only 3 blocks from my condo! YAY)) in the hopes that if I give the grumpy (camera) a rest it will decide to shape up and work next week...again - on wednesday. Yes, yes you heard it right, I will be bringing my camera to the farmers market next wednesday - and personally I do believe we have a very nice market with vendors - link http://www.chicagogreencitymarket.org/default.asp

If you go under the producers tab, you can see all of the participating vendors. Some (like my much beloved goat milk vendor) do not come weekly. Also,there are about 25 or so other farmers markets on varying days of the week in the chaicago area, 5 or so right downtown, and the other 20 something in the city permits of chicago. We are a lucky bunch here...last tuesday I went downtown so that I could visit a vendor I used to when I worked downtown...a cheese vendor who does not come to my new market,they have great swiss's, smoked and regular string cheeses, and cheese curds...mmmmm...

I also love Bunkow cheese of Wisconsin creates wonderful cows mile varieties...both hard cheeses and spreadable varieties. They have a great grilling cheese (you literally grill it on a grill, it gets burnt and crusty on the outside, oozy in the middle...they always have a grill going and are giving out samples for the entire duration of the market, every single week (and every week I get my samples!). They have wonderful 2 and 4 year white cheddars, and 6 and 10 year aged orange cheddars. They have 3 wonderful spreading cheeses in little containers (raw milk white cheddar, horshradish -which unfortunetly I am not fond o f horshradish- and a wonderful tomato basil raw milk white cheddar - which even has little bits of basil and tomato throughout the cheese. All are great with a crusty bagguet.

At the weekly market, I also ALWAYS buy 4 or 5 ears of sweet corn (all for me, surprise surprise Greg doesnt like corn!!!).

Another great cheese shop in the city,called Fox and Obel. (not farmers market, but a wonderful specialty store that sells everything from meats,fruits and veg's, frozen foods, spices and such (i.e truffle salts, all sorts), a bakery with wonderdul breads, tarts, cupcakes, etc...even a little cafe with awesome soups, sanswhiches with bries and such, and other specialities...and...of course... a great cheese counter with 2-3 cheese experts always working. When you buy cheese they always cut it off the HUGE rounds of cheese...which means you know what - SAMPLES OF ANTHING YOU WANT :):):) I used to live 1 block away from Fox and obel, right off MIchigan ave in chicago by Navy Pier. This is where Oprah does a lot of her shopping, or her "personal shoppers"...I only bought cheese and fruits from Fox and Obel...thier meats are just too darn expensive!. Here is their link have fun looking around...I still drive down there (3 miles...which in chicago traffic on lakeshore drove is uaually a 8-15 min drive...for real!)

http://www.fox-obel.com/index.asp

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Here is a list from the Fox and Obel site of a sampling of thier 'favorite' cheeses...MMMMM

Sample list of our favorites

L'etivaz:

A raw milk, alpage gruyere from Switzerland

Vacherin Mont D'or:

Spruce bark-bound, custardy, cow's milk cheese from either France or Switzerland.

Epoisses:

A fragrant, cow's milk cheese washed with marc de Bourgogne, Burgundy, France.

Montgomery's Cheddar:

A true farmhouse, raw cow's milk, clothbound British Cheddar.

Robiola Incavolata:

A small and runny, cabbage leaf wrapped, mixed raw milk cheese from Cuneo, Italy

Nevat:

A pillow shaped, downy, goat milk cheese from near Catalonia, Spain.

Parmigiano-Reggiano Vacca Rossa:

The famed red cow parmigiano made from raw milk, Italy.

Pleasant Ridge Reserve

A semi-hard, washed rind, raw cow's milk, farmhouse cheese from Dodgeville, Wisconsin.

Constant Bliss:

A soft-ripened, raw cow's milk cheese from Greensboro, Vermont.

Hudson Valley Camembert:

A soft-ripened, blended cow and sheep's milk cheese from the Hudson Valley in upstate New York.

Grayson:

A taleggio-style, washed rind, raw cow's milk cheese from Galaxia, Virginia.

La Buche de Causses:

An actual fermier, raw milk, bucheron-style goat milk cheese from France.

Berkswell:

A hard, hand-made, raw sheep's milk cheese from Warwick, England.

Thurblau:

A rustic, raw cow's milk blue from Switzerland, selected and aged by Rolf Beeler

This time I purchased the Wabash Cannonball.  3oz. ball of chevre dusted with ash. 1995 ACS Best of Show. (Wholesale: 6/cs.) 10 day pre-order.

Both so good, kind of crumbly, kind of creamy. Definetly creamy once they hit your tonge they are sooo creamy...simply lushious.

If you can restarin yourself, hold onto a couple of Cannonballs for a week or two. I like mine with a bit more age on them.

This time I purchased the Wabash Cannonball.  3oz. ball of chevre dusted with ash. 1995 ACS Best of Show. (Wholesale: 6/cs.) 10 day pre-order.

Both so good, kind of crumbly, kind of creamy. Definetly creamy once they hit your tonge they are sooo creamy...simply lushious.

If you can restarin yourself, hold onto a couple of Cannonballs for a week or two. I like mine with a bit more age on them.

So So hard to do, but I know what you mean. I will ahve to wait to take your advice, as yesterdays purchases are more than half gone, both of them!!! Next time the goat vendor is there, which wont be for two weeks :(, I will buy a few of each..so that I dont have to practice willpower/self-restraint/control skills relating to my cheeses. This way I can eat one of each, and let the others age a bit. Your advice was also given to me by the woman, Judy Schad, who represents the farm at our market. She gave me the same advice, but she told me to eat the ash one now, and save the Crocodile Tear, which is the pyramid dusted with paprika variety, for early to mid next week. She adviced that it would be even better if I could wait on it...even though its perfectly delish now. Well, I wanted so badly to take her advice (just like yours), but I couldnt wait. I could eat this cheese all day long, snack snack snack on it....I shake a lil salt on them. I do this with all my cheeses...cream cheeses and all. Even sweet flavored cream cheeses (blueberry, strawberry, etc...). I am a self proclaimed salt addict. I need to attend SAA (salt Addicts Annoynomous....). Hmm maybe I start this organization up....

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

I could eat this cheese all day long, snack snack snack on it....I shake a lil salt on them.  I do this with all my cheeses...cream cheeses and all. Even sweet flavored cream cheeses (blueberry, strawberry, etc...). I am a self proclaimed salt addict. I need to attend SAA (salt Addicts Annoynomous....). Hmm maybe I start this organization up....

You put salt on cheese? :shock:

Salt is an essential ingredient in so many cheeses, it seems redundant.

But y'know, that sweet 'n' salty thing you have goin' on with that fruity cream cheese sounds intriguing.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I know, I know salt is in cheese, as one of the few essential ingredients....just not enough for me I suppose. You know you become addicted and immuned to things...meaning I salt things that I need mroe of it to sense its presence. I know I could fix this, by cutting back for a bit of time...but I find it way to hard to do! YIKES

I could eat this cheese all day long, snack snack snack on it....I shake a lil salt on them.  I do this with all my cheeses...cream cheeses and all. Even sweet flavored cream cheeses (blueberry, strawberry, etc...). I am a self proclaimed salt addict. I need to attend SAA (salt Addicts Annoynomous....). Hmm maybe I start this organization up....

You put salt on cheese? :shock:

Salt is an essential ingredient in so many cheeses, it seems redundant.

But y'know, that sweet 'n' salty thing you have goin' on with that fruity cream cheese sounds intriguing.

Had a great French goat cheese today, Chabis Feuille. It was wrapped in some sort of leaves (I can't remember what kind... someone help me out here), with cracked peppercorns and as the woman at the store (DeLaurenti, in Seattle) described, "infused" with brandy. Not sure how it was infused exactly.

She reccomonded putting it in the oven for a few minutes. I did so and it was delicious! Very creamy, great texture with lots of different flavors. Herbal, tea-like flavor from the leaves, spiciness from the peppercorns and sweet fruitiness from the brandy, rounded out by the tanginess of the cheese. I liked this cheese a lot, and I'll be getting it again soon I think... :biggrin:

Some pictures:

gallery_33373_2451_501476.jpg

gallery_33373_2451_377389.jpg

Went to market yesterday & suprise suprise I bought some cheeses.

Started with Crottin which is a type of chevre. Madam was selling older ones moulded into all kinds of shapes. She said they were pretty strong & that I should try a piece of a younger one. I bought some of both, but did choose the smallest of the older ones.

gallery_22910_3505_8181.jpg

The younger Crottin

gallery_22910_3505_2384.jpg

The elder. A little bigger around than a silver dollar.

Both excellent, the younger very smooth tasting. The older sharper. And, no, in this case I did not eat the rind.

Earlier in the thread these was some discussion about ripe cabecou's. Here's some I bought yesterday. These were, to my taste. close to perfection.

gallery_22910_3505_13487.jpg

Ripe Cabecou. Note how they're just begining to run along the edges.

The find of the day, however, is below. This is one strong cheese. Real sweaty socks stuff!

gallery_22910_3505_21469.jpg

Does that look good or what?

It's called Saint Germier and comes from a farm about 20 miles East of Toulouse. The village is Teyssode & the farm's name is Cazes-Hautl. Here's the label.

gallery_22910_3505_3126.jpg

As you can see its raw milk Brebis, 50% MG.

Haven't been able to find out anything else about it, but suspect that its a real local name & may only be made at this farm.

I'm just going to have to drive down & see.

These topped off a really nice dinner.

Went to market yesterday & suprise suprise I bought some cheeses.

Started with Crottin which is a type of chevre. Madam was selling older ones moulded into all kinds of shapes. She said they were pretty strong & that I should try a piece of a younger one. I bought some of both, but did choose the smallest of the older ones.

gallery_22910_3505_8181.jpg

The younger Crottin

gallery_22910_3505_2384.jpg

The elder. A little bigger around than a silver dollar.

Both excellent, the younger very smooth tasting. The older sharper. And, no, in this case I did not eat the rind.

is crottin a brand of cheese, or just a method of making chevre a certain way? we have the crottin de chavignol available at a couple of cheese stores here in philadelphia--the same thing, or just a similar cheese from different producers or something? i guess what i'm asking is, are there many crottins, or just the one?

Forgot to mention:

I treated myself to a half-pound of Pennsylvania Noble this past Saturday at the Reading Terminal. (You want pictures, go look at my foodblog--link is in my .sig).

I was talking to the cheesemaker about the Brie that Green Valley Dairy has just begun to produce.

I was surprised to find out that even domestic soft-ripened cheeses must be aged for 60 days by law. Then again, I guess that makes sense--if we aren't gonna let underage cheese from abroad in, why would we allow it to be produced domestically? What really doesn't make sense to me is that the 60-day rule is still around. What was it protecting us from?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

s crottin a brand of cheese, or just a method of making chevre a certain way? we have the crottin de chavignol available at a couple of cheese stores here in philadelphia--the same thing, or just a similar cheese from different producers or something? i guess what i'm asking is, are there many crottins, or just the one?

Those more expert than I can probably give a better answer than I, but here's my understanding.

Crottin's seem to be made pretty much everywhere in France where goats cheese is made. It has to do with the size & shape and the method of making the cheese. The crottin's in my pictures were local, made here in the Tarn et Garonne. I've seen others from all over.

On the other hand Crottin de Chavignol is an AOC cheese. The AOC means that it has to be made in a designated area by a recognised producer. The AOC designation was made 'official' in 1829. The AOC area is in the Eastern Sologne a burgundian outpost East of the Loire. Mentions of goat cheese in the area go back to 1573.

Had a great French goat cheese today, Chabis Feuille. It was wrapped in some sort of leaves (I can't remember what kind... someone help me out here)

Looks like it might be a chestnut leaf. That's a good looking cheese.

Cheers,

Anne

Great pictures all; if I ever get around photographing stuff I'll have to contribute, but for now I just have a question:

I'm confused on cheese storage. The shop where I buy most of my cheeses has most of it refrigerated, the European cheeses semi-refrigerated, and the Parmigiano-Reggiano on a counter by the rest. How do I store cheeses (in general categories) at home to maximize their flavor? Is it possible to leave them on the counter, rather than the fridge? Should I wrap them in cheesecloth, parchment, plastic, foil, etc.?

I should add that I do eat cheeses at room temperature, I'm just wondering if their flavor would improve if they were stored that way. For example I love Tomme de Savoie and I'm wondering if I'm ruining the flavor by keeping it in the fridge, or if it's too late anyway because it's travelled so long to reach my mouth.

Ugh, sorry for going on and on. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Eilen

This is why I started this thread!  These are incredible looking cheeses - and I can't get a single one of them up here in the mountains.  Thanks to everyone for posting for those of us who are fromagically challenged.

gfron1, here's one way to correct this situation. 5 easy steps.

1) Buy Farm.

2) Buy cows, sheep & goats.

3) Milk said cows, sheep & goats

4) Make cheese from milk.

5) Eat cheese & live happily ever after.

An alternate solution is to move to France. I know some good Real Estate Agents in the area.

I'm confused on cheese storage.

Think we all are. In what follows I'm going to be parphrasing my favorite cheese expert, Patrick Rance. Patrick was the owner of Wells Stores in Streatley, England which was in my opinion one of the greatest cheese shops of all time.

Ideal temperature for storage is 55-60 degrees F. Fridges are too cold & too dry. A cool garage or, if you're lucky enough to have one, a cellar are ideal.

If possible keep the humidity high; around 80% is ideal.

Here's some more tips from Patrick.

- Once you've cut a soft or semi-soft cheese cover the cut edges with Saran wrap, keep the film fairly tight. BUT don't cover the crust tightly let the air get at it. If possible store the cut cheese on a slope, cut side up.

- Hard cheeses should be stored on their largest cut surface. Waxed paper is good for storing hard cheeses, but clingfilm is not.

- Do not use foil to wrap cheese. For longer term storage cheesecloth or muslin is good. Keeping the humidity up is important.

- Buy little, buy often! is his advice. I think, however, Patrick was assuming that you have a knowledgable cheese source.

With a few exceptions I found when we lived in the states that cheese was stored far to cold in the stores & certainly in the supermarkets. Warming it up to room temperature helped, but with soft cheeses (brie, camembert, etc,) it took longer. I'd have them out at kitchem temperature for at least 24 hours sometimes more.

A great pleasure in the early 80's was to be able to go into 'The Cheese Place' in Berkley & be asked when I wanted to eat my Brie afterI ordered it. They had Bries ready to eat that day, the next day & ... Heaven!

Thank you for the tips, Dave; unfortunately I have neither a basement nor a cellar so I suppose a cool place in my kitchen will have to do. I usually try to buy the smallest pieces possible, as there are just two of us and limits on how much cheese we can consume, but I always have the odd bit of point reyes, etc. lying around.

That's especially helpful about soft cheeses like brie and such. I had no clue they needed to be out that long! Have to try it next time.

Please do keep the lovely pictures coming! I used to live in southern France and I dearly love anything that can jog my memory of my time spent there.

Eilen

Edited by Eilen (log)

this summer i have been buying cheese from these vendors at our local farmer's market

Farmstead Fresh http://www.farmsteadfresh.com/

the sharp cheddar is my favorite - nice and tangy. the baby swiss is nutty and mellow and paired with apple slices last night in a toasted sandwich. the only one i didn't really care for was the portelet wine - but that is just me.

hmmm.... think it's time to pull the swiss and cheddar out for noshing in about half an hour when johnnybird may(or may not) be home...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Cheese is one of those magically changing pleasures of life that has found its way into nearly every meal of my day. I can't imagine a sandwich without that lactic sensation of a sharp or smooth piece of fromage. I think I would take a piece of cheese over a piece of chocolate, but I try not to think too hard on that decision.

I recently went to New York and finally got a chance to experience Artisanal on Park ave.

gallery_43885_3513_535970.jpg

We started with a toasty and quite large pot of macaroni and cheese. Soft noodles and a very nice Vermont Cheddar with a good amount of butter and prosciutto made this enough for three. I love mac and cheese when it has that toasty, crunchy, bread crumb topping and this delivered in such a nostalgic way.

From a selection of around 70, I was able to compose a small tasting of three properly aged cheeses.

gallery_43885_3513_427101.jpg

Starting at 6 o'clock and moving clockwise is Wabash Cannonball, Serra and Durrus. The Wabash Cannonball has been a cheese I have wanted to try for a long time, and finally getting it did not disappoint. It is a small goat cheese from Indiana with such a wonderful balance of 'goaty-ness' and citrus. It has a smooth texture that does not chalk up on the palate. Full of flavor, smooth at the end and strong lactic moment make this one of my favorite cheeses.

The Serra is a traditional Unpasturized sheep milk's cheese from Portugal. It is served by the spoonful, for it can only be properly portioned by slicing off the top and scooping it out. In Portugal they would keep the rind of this cheese and later fill it in with meat, roast it all together and have another meal. The flavor is very intense. I was the only one at the table who not only ate it but also enjoyed it. A very 'pucker up' moment when first eating. A yeasty and pungent concentration of flavor. Very smooth mouth feel that goes down with a tingle on the tongue.

The Durrus is a Raw cow's milk cheese from Ireland. Soft on the initial deliver with hints of rich cream, Grassy one the finish that made me think of looking over a field of pleasant greens. There were moments of wheat within the rind that was actually where the most flavor was to be had. Very nice.

A wonderful selection that reinforced my obsession with the ever changing world of cheese.

Edited by Bard (log)

Here's a beauty that I served last night. I've never seen it before and couldn't believe my eyes when it was in our (excellent) local grocery store.

gallery_16307_3318_22012.jpg

Le Regal de Bourgogne aux Raisins. The raisins are macerated in plum eau de vie and marc.