• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Patrick S

I love a good sticky toffee pudding! But it really should have a toffee sauce (traditionally made with brown sugar), not a caramel sauce (however delicous a caramel sauce can be). The cake part ought to be dense, heavy, and dark. This is where you really want stodge!

Would someone post Sherry Yard's sauce, or a link to it?  A great caramel sauce is hard to find.

Mix 1.5C white sugar, 0.5C light brown sugar (or just use 2C white sugar), 4Tb corn syrup and 0.5C water in medium pan. Cook over med-high heat until you reach 300F, then reduce heat to med. When you reach 350-355F, take pan from heat, let bubbles subside, then add 1C heavy cream (warmed in microwave), 0.5C sour cream OR creme fraiche, 1t vanilla, 1t lemon juice, and a good pinch of salt. Whisk to mix it all together. You may have to put the pan back on the heat for a few minutes to get all the hardened caramel bits incorporated.

I'd have to disagree with the idea that STP "needs" toffee sauce, as opposed to caramel sauce. The sauce recipes that go with most STP recipes have seemed pretty boring to me, like thick, vaguely caramel-colored simple syrup with butter mixed in, not nearly as tasty as caramel sauce.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 8 months later...

Recipe Gullet has this one from jackal10 ... and, given his excellent cooking credentials, I would trust it completely! :wink:

New York Magazine offers this version .. from the chef of Oceana

Interestingly, there is a sticky toffee perfume now :shock: and the winning recipe for Haagen-Dazs ice cream new flavor competition was also sticky toffee ice cream :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've been looking for a recipe to duplicate the sticky toffee sauce made by this company:

http://www.stickytoffeepudding.com

It's absolutely to die for! And it contains four simple ingredients - sugar, butter, cream and vanilla essence (extract).

Yesterday afternoon I did some experimenting with a sticky toffee sauce recipe I found on the internet. The first time I used brown sugar, the second time I used white sugar. Neither one compares to the one sold by this company.

I've been looking for a recipe to duplicate the sticky toffee sauce made by this company:

It's absolutely to die for!  And it contains four simple ingredients - sugar, butter, cream and vanilla essence (extract).

Yesterday afternoon I did some experimenting with a sticky toffee sauce recipe I found on the internet.  The first time I used brown sugar, the second time I used white sugar.  Neither one compares to the one sold by this company.

The simple reason your simple ingredient didn't compare to the company's recipe is that any reputable recipe MUST contain dates; that is the "secret ingredient." If you look at the Haagen-Dazs ice cream, it even contains dates (got some in my freezer now, pretty good too!)

When I lived in SoCal, I met the owner of stickytoffeepudding.com -- he's a great guy with a great product and I still buy it when I can find it NoCal.

Bottom line, look for a recipe with dates and, yes, I would recommend brown sugar for a richer pudding.

It's absolutely to die for!  And it contains four simple ingredients - sugar, butter, cream and vanilla essence (extract).

Yesterday afternoon I did some experimenting with a sticky toffee sauce recipe I found on the internet.  The first time I used brown sugar, the second time I used white sugar.  Neither one compares to the one sold by this company.

The simple reason your simple ingredient didn't compare to the company's recipe is that any reputable recipe MUST contain dates; that is the "secret ingredient." If you look at the Haagen-Dazs ice cream, it even contains dates (got some in my freezer now, pretty good too!)

When I lived in SoCal, I met the owner of stickytoffeepudding.com -- he's a great guy with a great product and I still buy it when I can find it NoCal.

Bottom line, look for a recipe with dates and, yes, I would recommend brown sugar for a richer pudding.

I wasn't trying to make the actual cake part of the "pudding." I only wanted to make the toffee sauce. It's the sauce that made me swoon.

i second the vote for the Oceana recipe - that's become my standard go-to recipe, and i've gotten nothing but raves.

I third it. I make it quite frequently and it's delicious and perfect.

Having baked on both sides of the pond, I can attest that there is a BIG difference between British and American flours. I dislike using British baking recipes in America and vice versa because the end product is so different from what I expected. Nigella's recipe is excellent made with British flour but I didn't like it so much when I made it 'States-side.