• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chaat masala

smita kaul

A tangy spice mix commonly used to season snacks, including sliced fruits. Can be purchased ready made. Ingredients vary but — to judge by recipes I've seen and the ingredient lists on chaat masala packages — almost always include mango powder, asafoetida, chile powder, black salt and, often, ground cumin and pulverized dried mint. Am certain one of the forum's experts will be along later to provide a more authoritative answer.

A tangy spice mix commonly used to season snacks, including sliced fruits. Can be purchased ready made. Ingredients vary but — to judge by recipes I've seen and the ingredient lists on chaat masala packages — almost always include mango powder, asafoetida, chile powder, black salt and, often, ground cumin and pulverized dried mint. Am certain one of the forum's experts will be along later to provide a more authoritative answer.

Hi Smita,

Carswell has listed all the ingredients and some brands may also contain dried pomegranate powder. Black salt with it's sulphurous notes is the major contributor to the uniqueness of Chaat Masala.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Carswell and Episure covered it well.

Instead of making their own, most people tend to get a commercial mix. There are numerous brands in the market, I prefer the 'MDH Chunky Chat Masalla', good consistant product. Though I have been intriguied by the word ' Chunky '.

Does any one know what it refers to as the chat masalla in packet is a smooth powder.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Carswell and Episure covered it well.

Instead of making their own, most people tend to get a commercial mix. There are numerous brands in the market, I prefer the 'MDH Chunky Chat Masalla', good consistant product. Though I have been intriguied by the word ' Chunky '.

Does any one know what it refers to as the chat masalla in packet is a smooth powder.

Knowing that the Mahashian family (MDH owners) belongs to the western Punjab (now in Pak) area, and in some punjabi dialects "Chunky" is a word sometimes used to describe "something with a kick" similar to "Karara".

My guess is that Chunky refers to that. You are right though about its quality. Consistent and much better as compared to other brands. They could improve their packing though.