• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old culinary habits....

PPX

I have been forced to give up my favorite Burrito place because the new "cook" over salts everything. I have talked to the owner and she says there have been no other complaints. Tough luck. After 12 years of weekly meals I have said goodbye. I have one burrito and have become swollen for two days because of the salt, goodbye. Medication I need , Your burrito I don't.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The only strange thing that comes to mind is my need to have mayonaise on my grilled cheese sandwiches.

We do have salt and pepper grinders on the table. I cook with less figuring you can always add more. There is always a variety of hot sauces and mustards around too as I tend to underzing things so the kids will eat them (hopefully). They seem to like things much blander than we who have spent more than 30 years killing off taste buds do.

I seem to have more issues with temperature than with seasoning. My husband is forever getting up to reheat his soup or coffee or mashed potatoes or whatever. I just must like things cooler at the start than he does.

Bruce, I wonder if they started adding MSG to the burrito? I hate it when something you've grown to love takes a nose dive like that. My sympathies.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

When I entertain, I place a small crystal shakers of salt and pepper at each guests setting. I want them to enjoy, which is what entertaining is all about. You pretentious people who get offended if someone wants salt, or pepper, or whatever have simply got to get over yourselves. I mean, how offensive and judgemental.

A gracious host cares most that their guests are sent away fat, dumb and happy. Now that's when I know I've done a good job.

I've found that people who do taste before salting do not have the same needs for salting the same foods. My daughter cooks with less salt than I, yet I've seen her and/or her husband--salt some foods at her table which I don't think need it. And I've seen us salting the same foods, too.

If a guest salts before seasoning, I just figure he does not have a very sophisticated palate. If someone refuses me the salt and pepper, however, she is tactless, arrogant and an altogether unlikeable creature. No worry, I won't grace her table again. (Or I'll sneak in my own salt; what's she gonna do, wrestle me for it?)

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Crabby cook alert:

This topic consistently gets my panties in a twist. Allow me to introduce a distinction so that I may explain.

I think that most of these examples involve personal choice in a perfectly non-offensive way: Tabasco on your eggs, that sort of thing. Adjusting seasoning by adding salt and pepper to most savory dishes doesn't change the dish in any fundamental sense. Furthermore, throwing sriracha or chutney on mediocre stuff at diners, on crap from the freezer section of your local grocery, or on bad french fries from your kid's meal is a way to make the less palatable palatable. Everyone does it all the time.

But if you accept an invitation to someone's house for a meal and bring your condiments, that's another story. (Andiesenji, I realize the responsibility of a professional chef is an exception.) That's not seasoning; that's bastardization.

The entire point of my making food for people is having them try and, at least among my friends, enjoy different things, having them experience new tastes, talking about what is good and bad about it. It's about sharing an experience.

If someone wants to destroy a meal I've spent hours to make for them by turning it into that night's "ketchup food," well, fuck that: I'll put some oats in a bowl, pass the Heinz, and hold the door open.

Grrr....

OK, rant ended.

edited to restore parallel construction in one paragraph and to eliminate a bizarre reference to mustard in the final one -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I think chefs -- professional and amateur -- who don't put salt and pepper on the table are being a bit pompous

I don't put salt and pepper on the table just because I seldom find the need for it, and it doesn't occur to me to do so. It has nothing to do with being pompous, just not thinking as I get everything together for a meal (as cooking for guests is my sole pervue (sp?), and my husband steers clear of the kitchen on such occasions). If you want salt or pepper, just ask for it! But don't leave my table thinking I'm pompous, or you're not likely to be asked back.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think chefs -- professional and amateur -- who don't put salt and pepper on the table are being a bit pompous

I don't put salt and pepper on the table just because I seldom find the need for it, and it doesn't occur to me to do so. It has nothing to do with being pompous, just not thinking as I get everything together for a meal (as cooking for guests is my sole pervue (sp?), and my husband steers clear of the kitchen on such occasions). If you want salt or pepper, just ask for it! But don't leave my table thinking I'm pompous, or you're not likely to be asked back.

I guess I was thinking of people who are trying to make a statement by not doing so, as opposed opposed to someone who just doesn't think about it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think chefs -- professional and amateur -- who don't put salt and pepper on the table are being a bit pompous and I never hesitate to ask for the stuff if I want it.  Similarly, I have a deep distrust of anyone arrogant enough to pronounce their cooking "perfect" or "correct" or some such nonsense, as though all palates are the same and their mouth is the ultimate arbiter right and wrong -- and that their cooking is the perfect extension of their perfect palate.  Sheesh. 

The point of cooking is to bring people together in companionship and delight, not to indulge your ego.  The happiness of the diner is always, always, always more important that your culinary vision.  Unless they put the redi-whip om your plate, too, have a glass of wine and relax.

PS, I will put chutney and/or pickle on anything even remotely Indian -- and some things not -- if at all possible.

hallelujah! sing it sister!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.