• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Amirault

Gumbo -- Cook-Off 3

557 posts in this topic

This weekend my husband and I are going camping with 22 other people. I volunteered to cook gumbo Saturday night. And I need advice. Mostly about adding the roux.

Yesterday I made a dark roux (that got even darker while it was cooling in a metal bowl) using 2 cups of oil and 2-1/2 cups of flour. After it cooled off, I put it in a plastic container in the refrigerator.

So, my question is how do I make gumbo using a pre-made roux?

I'm thinking that I'll slice the andouille, cook that and use any rendered grease to cook the trinity. Then I'll add chicken stock, shrimp stock and clam juice. (I use the recipe from Cook's Illustrated for Creole-Style Shrimp and Sausage gumbo.)

Should I add the roux with the trinity? Or with the chicken stock? Does the quantity of roux I use change because the roux is added later in the process?

I'm not sure how much gumbo to make for that many people but that's a question for later. If I screw up adding the roux, it won't matter if I have enough ingredients.

- Kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

This weekend my husband and I are going camping with 22 other people. I volunteered to cook gumbo Saturday night. And I need advice. Mostly about adding the roux.

Yesterday I made a dark roux (that got even darker while it was cooling in a metal bowl) using 2 cups of oil and 2-1/2 cups of flour. After it cooled off, I put it in a plastic container in the refrigerator.

So, my question is how do I make gumbo using a pre-made roux?

I'm thinking that I'll slice the andouille, cook that and use any rendered grease to cook the trinity. Then I'll add chicken stock, shrimp stock and clam juice. (I use the recipe from Cook's Illustrated for Creole-Style Shrimp and Sausage gumbo.)

Should I add the roux with the trinity? Or with the chicken stock? Does the quantity of roux I use change because the roux is added later in the process?

I'm not sure how much gumbo to make for that many people but that's a question for later. If I screw up adding the roux, it won't matter if I have enough ingredients.

- Kim

Just get the roux hot enough to sautee in, without burning it, heave in the veg, keep it stirred occasionally with the lid on (if you don't, you'll lose the liquid and much of the flavor as the steam escapes) and you're on your way to some swell eats. Render the sausage seperately (if you don't, the combination of the oil in the roux and the oil in the sausage will give you way too much oil. You won't be happy). Once the veg are soft, then you can add the stock and everything else.

Piece of cake. A good piece, as a matter of fact.

Have fun.

B

Oh, and this might be helpful. It's funny going back and reading it now, as life ain't the same no more. But, happily, at least The Gumbo is.

Edited by Mayhaw Man (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Just get the roux hot enough to sautee in, without burning it

I have my fingers crossed. My roux is currently the color of a Hershey bar. I'm bringing flour and oil along just in case.

Thank you very much for the advice! I'm bringing a camera and hope to post pictures when I get back.

- Kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I live in Maryland now so the okra I can grow in my garden is like the okra you can buy in the markets here, i.e. about 3-4 inches long.

But when we used to garden in Vermilion parish, they used to be double that length! When I first saw small okra in a Maryland market, I asked the man, "No no, Where's your real okra?" He didn't believe me when I raised my hands to show him how big they should be.

I didn't see this addressed in the thread; hope I didn't miss it.

I live in Upstate NY and have been growing okra for years. They grow very well, and you can easily get okras on some varieties to 10 inches or so. My plants currently are almost 5 feet tall. However, once the pods get beyond about 5 inches they become much too tough to use.

Its possible they have some more tender varieties that allow them to use full sized okras down in Lousiana, but I'm doubtful. It's been a while since I've been down there, but the cross-sections in the gombos etc I ate indicated a smallish pod size....

I made gumbo!!!!

It was a grey, cold drizzly day today. I had all the ingredients in my fridge and spent the whole afternoon chopping veggies and making roux. After a while, my pot was happily simmering on my stove. OMG, my kitchen was filled with a wonderful homey smell of the gumbo.

Ladled on to my bowl.

gallery_48583_3741_211214.jpg

With rice on top...

gallery_48583_3741_293645.jpg

Thanks eGullet! This one's a keeper and will be a winter favorite for us.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I just made my first gumbo today, using Fifi's chicken and sausage recipe. Very fun to cook.

The veggies hitting the roux creates a very distinctive aroma that I identify with gumbo- I think it's the "secret." :biggrin:

I used a big Le Creuset pot, and the roux seemed to go faster than the suggested times; I think it was darker than peanut butter in 15 or 20 minutes. I stopped there, and maybe that's why mine seemed to be a bit thicker than most pictured here.

Also I put in a bunch of home-grown okra; maybe 2 or 3 cups, at the same time as the chicken (last hour). Was that the right time?

Dan, I added my sliced okra after my veggie trinity cooked in the roux, which was just before I added the stock. I wanted the okra to be thoroughly cooked and it helped thicken my gumbo too. I didn't make it too thick since I wanted to slurp some soup with my rice.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Gumbo was a success!

By the time we got back to the campground, it was dark. Luckily, I had a headlamp and used that to see into the pot to make sure that the roux didn't get too dark when I heated it up. I shouldn't have worried.

At the last minute, I was told that two members of our group couldn't eat shrimp. No problemo as I had intended on making two pots of gumbo anyway. Another member didn't like spicy so we made crawfish etoufee for her.

We had such a great group of people. The only reason there were any leftovers is because not everyone understood the concept of gumbo. By the end of the night we had a quart of liquid left -- not a speck of meat in it.

- Kim

i was making the roux and after 20 minutes it was pretty dark but not toasted after adding the trinity.after adding it,it had a roasted smell not a nutty one..so i didnt add it because it would probably ruin the soup. is this the way it should smell?

thanks

Edited by kenchin2007 (log)

i was making the roux and after 20 minutes it was pretty dark but not toasted after adding the trinity.after adding it,it had a roasted smell not a nutty one..so i didnt add it because it would probably ruin the soup. is this the way it should smell?

thanks

It was probably fine; it does have a unique smell and as long as it is not burnt all is well. Next time, just taste it before you add the stock to make sure. Let it cool though, that stuff is like napalm!

Gumbo season has returned here. I made my best pot yet, with some chicken, tasso ham, and andouille sausage. We're having the same meal again tonight.

I made the roux very dark this time -- Hershey-bar brown -- and it made the perfect base for the gumbo. I realized last night that I regularly add a T or so of flour throughout the early stages of roux stirring, and I have been wondering whether it might help with the quality of the roux somehow.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

One must not fear dark roux. It is a good thing.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Chicken & Sausage Freezer Gumbo; I pulled it out of the freezer, made rice and heated it up.

gallery_55239_5394_203295.jpg

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Got a big pot on the stove at the moment.

Chicken/sausage gumbo a la fifi

gallery_52440_5738_40330.jpg

The house smells divine

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

And it tasted great as well!

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Made gumbo today.

This was shortly before the trinity was added, so the roux is a bit lighter than its final color:

gallery_52700_6379_60515.jpg

And this was the final delicious product:

gallery_52700_6379_150239.jpg

Until last week I had never made gumbo before. In fact, I'm not sure I'd ever even eaten gumbo before. But, there's a first time for everything, and that's kinda the point of the Cook-off series anyway. So, here's my entry in the gumbo category. Won't win any prizes in Louisiana, but it's still mighty tasty.

I started with your standard trinity, plus a can of diced tomatoes, some salt, some cayenne, and some McCormick's "Cajun Seasoning," whatever that is. I also broke out a package of homemade ham from the freezer. It's sliced for sandwiches, but I don't think that hurt anything:

gallery_56799_5925_29145.jpggallery_56799_5925_23244.jpg

I keep reading that I'm looking for a roux the "color of a Hershey's bar." Well, mine isn't quite the same shade, and might be a smidge too light, but this is as brave as I could manage:

gallery_56799_5925_2086.jpg

As directed, I dumped in the trinity and stirred like mad:

gallery_56799_5925_17725.jpggallery_56799_5925_7178.jpg

gallery_56799_5925_17481.jpggallery_56799_5925_22886.jpg

I used a homemade pork stock, plus a little beef stock I had leftover in the fridge:

gallery_56799_5925_317.jpggallery_56799_5925_18733.jpg

Finally, the ham is added, and I cooked it in the oven at 250°F for a few hours, till the flavors were feeling harmonious:

gallery_56799_5925_6959.jpg

To serve, I fried up some more trinity (sorta: I used poblano instead of green bell this time), then added some medium grain rice and water to cook. Served the gumbo poured over the rice, but I forgot to take a picture until I had stirred mine up:

gallery_56799_5925_9745.jpg

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just the ham in mine, in the spirit of using up stuff taking up freezer space. It's a very smokey homemade ham, and I think it contributed a great flavor to the gumbo. I actually would like to come up with some kind of almost-vegetarian gumbo (I say almost because I would still use pork or chicken stock in it). I couldn't come up with anything suitable for this iteration, however. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just the ham in mine, in the spirit of using up stuff taking up freezer space. It's a very smokey homemade ham, and I think it contributed a great flavor to the gumbo. I actually would like to come up with some kind of almost-vegetarian gumbo (I say almost because I would still use pork or chicken stock in it). I couldn't come up with anything suitable for this iteration, however. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm far from the Gumbo expert, but I'm wondering if adding some chopped okra or chayote would be acceptable in an "almost" vegetarian gumbo? Would okra melt into an unappetizing texture?

Vegetarian gumbos are definitely part of the cajun/creole tradition....both seafood-only and completely vegan ones. Catholic fast days shaped south Louisiana foodways, and "big" fast days like Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday/Good Friday meant extra sacrifice (as opposed to regular meatless Fridays). Anyway, gumbo z'herbes is based on greens: an odd number, for good luck, added to a gumbo when you'd ordinarily add the proteins. Collards, mustard, turnips, kale, cabbage, beet tops, parsley, peppergrass, scallions: if it is leafy and green, you'll find it in gumbo z'herbes (aka gumbo verte or green gumbo). Some versions of gumbo z'herbes use a little ham or sausage as flavoring, which is removed from the pot before serving for a "meatless" dish. Here are some photos of my most recent pot of gumbo z'herbes.

RE: okra--generally it is sauteed a bit before it goes into the gumbo pot, and it is usually cooked very, very soft (no crunch, very little "chew"). I've never encountered chayote (called mirliton in south Louisiana) in gumbo, though it is used to good effect in casseroles & stuffed with seafood. I think it would probably dissolve into mush in a gumbo....

So what were the proteins, Chris? Mike? Both look pretty good...

Andouille and chicken. Turned out very well, but I went a bit too far on the roux.

Vegetarian gumbos are definitely RE:  okra--generally it is sauteed a bit before it goes into the gumbo pot, and it is usually cooked very, very soft (no crunch, very little "chew").

Big okra fan here. I think that it's always worth getting twice as much as you need and preparing half as crispy bindi in the South Asian tradition: sauteing half of it cut into 1/2" slices and tossed with some seasonings. It crisps up really nicely and is great to toss on top. I'd think that textural variation would be appealing in a muscle-free gumbo.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hey Y'all!

C, I love your Gumbo Z'herbe blog entry. I actually had my first Gumbo Z last weekend in Richmond -- of all places (at the Black Sheep, whose owners used to work at Palace Cafe). And I couldn't remember from my cookbook reading if it had a roux. I think I'll add it to the repertoire. The restaurant offered smoked turkey, crab, and shrimp as add ons, all of which should go well, I'd think.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

So what were the proteins, Chris? Mike? Both look pretty good...

Andouille and chicken. Turned out very well, but I went a bit too far on the roux.

Why do you say you went a bit too far on the roux?

What were the measurements of flour to oil? Your roux looked much more dense than the one I made last weekend. I used 3/4 cup flour to 1/2 cup oil, and when I pulled my spoon across it - it left a path where you could see the bottom of the pan for a second before it filled in. It wasn't as thick looking as yours.

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      eGullet Recipe Cook-Off Index

Thanks to chrisamirault, every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together over at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off.

The Cook-Off is intended to be a forum at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner, making a dish:
      that you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully; for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required; that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you; from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Off dish; that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories. As we cook and compare, some of us post our recipes on RecipeGullet, the eGullet Society's wonderful database of cooking ideas, instructions, and insight.

Finally, thanks to the internet, remember that you're never too late for an eGullet Cook-Off. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-off recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

We've created this index so all cook-offs are easy to find and join in. We'll keep it updated.

Here is the list:
      Cook-Off 1: Cassoulet Cook-Off 2: Char Siu Bao Cook-Off 3: Gumbo Cook-Off 4: Lamb Curry Cook-Off 5: Fried Chicken Cook-Off 6: Pad Thai Cook-Off 7: Moussaka Cook-Off 8: Pizza Cook-Off 9: Mole Poblano Cook-Off 10: Meatloaf and Burgers Cook-Off 11: Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbet, and Sherbet Cook-Off 12: Composed Salads Cook-Off 13: Fresh and Stuffed Pasta, including Gnocchi Cook-Off 14: Bibimbap Cook-Off 15: Chili Cook-Off 16: Potato Pancakes Cook-Off 17: Sausages Cook-Off 18: Asian Noodle Soups Cook-Off 19: Eggs, Beaten, With Stuff In Them Cook-Off 20: Chowdah/Chowder Cook-Off 21: Risotto Cook-Off 22: Tempura Cook-Off 23: Crêpes Cook-Off 24: Kebabs, Satays, & Skewers Cook-Off 25: Tamales Cook-Off 26: Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) Cook-Off 27: Daube Cook-Off 28: Mafé (Peanut Stew) Cook-Off 29: Posole/Pozole Cook-Off 30: Felafel/Falafel Cook-Off 31: Paella Cook-Off 32: Pickles Cook-Off 33: Cold Noodle Dishes Cook-Off 34: Ceviche Cook-Off 35: Pot-au-feu/Simmered Meat'n'Veg Cook-Off 36: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Cook-Off 37: Croquettes Cook-Off 38: Feijoada Cook-Off 39: Tacos Cook-Off 40: Cold Soups Cook-Off 41: Jerk Cook-Off 42: Ratatouille Cook-Off 43: Braised Brisket Cook-Off 44: Ossobuco Cook-Off 45: Fries / Frites / Chips Cook-off 46: Enchiladas Cook-off 47: Asian Tofu Dishes Cook-off 48: Grilled Pizza Cook-off 49: Slaws Cook-Off 50: Lamb Stew Cook-Off 51: Chicken and Dumplings Cook-Off 52: Lasagna Cook-Off 53: Grilled Chicken Cook-Off 54: Gratins Cook-Off 55: Shrimp & Grits Cook-Off 56: Savory-Filled Pastry Cook-Off 57: Bolognese sauce Cook-Off 58: Hash Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish Cook-Off 60: Banh Mi Cook-Off 61: Gels, Jell-O and Aspic Cook-Off 62: Squid, Calamari and Octopus Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash Cook-Off 64: Confit Cook-Off 65: Pork Belly Cook-Off 66: Rhubarb Cook-Off 67: Apples Cook-Off 68: Citrus Fruits Cook-Off 69: Beer Cook-Off  70: Shellfish Grilled Over an Open Flame Cook-Off 71: Winter Squash Cook-Off 72: Ramen 
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to our popular eGullet Cook-Off Series. Our last Cook-Off, Hash, took us into a heated discussion of the meat of the matter--should it be chopped, hashed, sliced, diced, or chunked.
      Click here, for our Hash discussion, and the answers to all of your questions about this beloved diner staple. The complete eG Cook-Off Index can be found here. Today we’re launching eGullet Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish.
      Drying fish is a method of preservation that dates back to Ancient times, but more recently, (let’s say a mere 500 years ago or so), salt mining became a major industry in Europe and salt was a fast and economical way of preserving fish. Curing agents like nitrates were introduced in the 19th century, furthering the safety and taste of preserved fish.
      Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, Native Americans have been preserving fish and seafood for millennia. While we are best known for our ruby-red, oily-rich, smoked salmon, other species of fish found in the Pacific and in our streams are delicious when cured and smoked including Halibut, Sablefish and Idaho Rainbow Trout. And don’t think that you can’t smoke shellfish, alder-smoked Dungeness Crab is a wondrous Pacific Northwest delicacy that evokes memories of crab roasting over a driftwood fire on the beach.
      Another method of preserving fish is to bath the beauties in a brine—a combination of water, sugar, salt and spices that adds flavor and moisture to fish before it is dried or smoked. And speaking of smoked fish, you can do it in a small pan on top of the stove, in a cast iron drum, a barbecue pit, an old woodshed or a fancy digital smoker. The methods and flavors produced by smoking fish are endless.
      Old-fashioned ways of preserving fish, (while adequate at the time), aren't always the best method today. Today's technology provides us with the tools to create cured fish that is moist, succulent, tender and with a hint of smoke. The Modernist movement has certainly played a role in bringing this age-old craft into the 21st century, so for the avant-garde in the crowd, show us your creative wizardry for preserving fish the "modern" way.
      Cured, Brined, Smoked or Salted, the art of preserving fish opens us up to limitless possibilities that transcend the boundaries of cuisine and culture. So let’s sew-up the holes in our fishnets, scrub the barnacles off the rowboat and set out to sea in search of some delectable fish to cure, brine, smoke and salt.
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to a time-honored, cherished eG tradition, the eG Cook-Off Series. Today were venturing into a new world for Cook-Off's. Member Kerry Beal came forward with a Cook-Off idea we just couldn't pass up--Pork Belly--and inspired a new idea for future Cook-Off's. Knowing we're a community of great culinary minds, we'll be inviting the Members to send us ideas for potential future Cook-Off's, (more information to come later). Take it away Kerry and let's raid the larder and start cookin.
    • By David Ross
      Fall is but a whisper of the recent past--at least it is where I live in the upper reaches of Eastern, Washington. We had our first fluff of snow a week ago and a reasonable November storm is predicted for this weekend with temperatures holding at a chilly 18 degrees at night.
      Along with the rumblings of cold winter weather and Holiday feasts, we turn our culinary musings to time-treasured, comfortable dishes. And so I invite you to join me in another kitchen adventure--the inimitable eG Cook-Off Series. In 2013, we've tackled the tricky cooking of Squid, Calamari and Octopus and we made delicious dishes out of the humble Summer Squash.
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).
      But today we're shunning all manner of counting calories, salt or fat content--for what is rich in flavor is good for the soul my dear friends. Please join me in crafting, nuturing and savoring a dish of Confit.
    • By David Ross
      Hello friends and welcome back to a time-honored tradition--the popular eG Cook-Off Series. We're in the heat of summer right now and our gardens are literally blooming with all manner of peak of the season ripe fruits and succulent vegetables. And there's no better time of year to honor a vegetable that is often maligned as not being as colorful or trendy as the chi-chi breakfast radish or the multi-hued rainbow chard.

In addition to not always being recognized for it's looks, every August and September it becomes the butt of jokes at State Fair competitions across the country. If you can get past the embarassment of seeing the poor devils dressed up and carved into silly, cartoon-like farm figures or pumped-up with organic steroids, you'll find a delicious, low-calorie vegetable packed with potassium and vitamin A. Yes friends, your dreams have come true for today we kick-off eG Cook-Off #62, "Summer Squash."
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).

According to the University of Illinois Extension Office, summer squash, (also known in some circles as Italian marrow), are tender, warm-season vegetables that can be grown anytime during the warm, frost-free season. Summer squash differs from fall and winter squash, (like pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash), because it is harvested before the outer rind hardens. Some of the most popular summer squash are the Green and Yellow Zucchini, Scallop, Patty Pan, Globe, Butter Blossom and Yellow Crookneck.

My personal favorite summer squash is the versatile zucchini. Slow-cooked with sliced onion and ham hock, zucchini is perfectly comfortable nestled on a plate next to juicy, fried pork chops and creamy macaroni and cheese. But the chi-chi haute crowd isn't forgotten when it comes to zucchini, or, as the sniffy French call it, the "courgette." Tiny, spring courgette blossoms stuffed with herbs and ricotta cheese then dipped in tempura batter and gently fried are a delicacy found on Michelin-Star menus across the globe.

Won't you please join me in crafting some delicious masterpieces that showcase the culinary possibilities of delicious summer squash.