• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo: Cook-Off 3

How does roux made in the oven compare to traditional stirred roux?

Indistinguishable. It's browned flour in fat; the degree of browning determines the flavor...it tastes the same when made in the microwave, too.

I still maintain that roux should be stirred stove-top, if only for the beer it allows you to drink.

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Bumping up this awesomely informative Gumbo cook-off.  I've read this thread more times than you can imagine and each time I learn something new.

We had some teal duck breasts, livers and hearts that I needed to use up and thought that gumbo would be the perfect way to do it.  Along with, I had an andouille sausage--which was as far from an andouille sausage as I've ever tasted, but it's all I had, and some shrimp (which I didn't end up putting in)

photo 1.JPG

The rest of the ingredients.  Purists please ignore the squash on the right.  Yes, I put it in and yes it was delicious.  And, yes I made roux and yes I also put okra in.....and tomatoes....Purists, you might just want to skip this whole post  :laugh:

photo 2.JPG

I quickly browned the breasts and some of the sausage

photo 3.JPG

This is the first time I ever had the patience and the will power---and the extra wine--to make the roux Hershey bar colored.  Took time, but worth it.  So worth it.  I couldn't take a pic until the veg was added due to making sure the roux didn't burn.

photo 4.JPG

I wished I had some file and/or some more okra that I would have fried up in some cornmeal to put on the top, but this was good nonetheless.

photo 2.JPG

I just want to say again how much I enjoyed reading this topic.  And, I sure wish Mayhaw Man was still around.  He doesn't know me, but I feel like I know him.  :smile:

• Like 2

Beautiful, Shelby! You were quite right not to let the roux burn in order to take a photo. Fifi, bless her memory, stressed the need for undivided attention during that time, down to making sure you had extra beer (wine, in your case) before starting. I miss her and Mayhaw Man both. Your gumbo is a worthy way to honor their teachings.

Thanks for resurrecting this topic, and congratulations on the outcome!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Chicken and andouille with okra, with the chicken pulled from the one I was turning into the stock that got used. No real recipe used, but I did make my roux in the oven without any fat. Baked it until it was a medium brown, then mixed 1:1 with water when cooled (it got much darker after mixing with water). Trinity was sauteed in drippings from the andouille, then the roux added. No issues with oil separating, and there was really no difference in the final product, except it was less greasy and just as delicious!

1925354_10100248002717731_64791842274469

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Heavily inspired by @My Confusing Horoscope‘s gumbo from This post

Did basically the same thing except I added the full trinity, and used Slap Ya Mama extra hot plus fresh black pepper as the seasoning...and added what passes for andouille in DC, finished with green onion and parsley. 

It was absolutely delicious! Just as thick as using a roux, if not more, and not slimy or ropy (but I do love okra), and full of deep flavors. Cooking down the okra really does take a lot of time and attention, but this is a fantastic alternative to more standard dark roux gumbo

B7156F29-731F-497E-A04D-D2CC5B374FF7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1