• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay's Dim Sum

hmm.... this could be good but it probably be bad

but i guarantee it will be the most expensive dim sum in the UK

it will look beautiful, the critics will rave about it and the chinese community will think "what the Fcuk! you paying £15 for 3 har gau prawn dumpling!".

Place like hakkasan do excellent dim sum and this is agreed by both eastern and western customers. The Dim sum is expensive in comparison to most chinatown restaurants even Royal China. But the main thing is that they still are identifible as dim sum and they still stick to the philosophy of the ying and yang thing some steamed food some fried food.

Now Ian Pengelley sounds like he knows his stuff because he's done his tour of duty in the far East and the fact that he is hiring real dim sum chefs to make the stuff is good too. But it depends how far they westernise the dim sum.

If they adapt dishes incrementally then best of luck to them but i'm just waiting for the scallop, parma ham and porcini sui mai topped with beluga! and tomato ketchup as a dipping sauce :raz: ( admittedly ketchup is chinese hahaha :wink: )

But having said that the chinese takewaway community have been selling made up dishes to the wesern world as authentic chinese food for decades, think chow mein and crispy aromatic duck they're not real chinese but they taste ok to me.

It will probably be a hit just because its Gordon Ramsay.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

It just seems wrong. Dim sum's appeal lies in its being a leisurely and casual meal enjoyed by families (small children and grandparents a bonus) and friends (including the profoundly hungover), choices made at the last minute from what's right in front of you (often prepped tableside), all of it contributing to a slightly chaotic hubbub. No reservations, no elaborate plating, no fussy service, and no big bill at the end of meal.

Fine if he wants to serve har gau, but maybe he could call them something else, something that does not invoke dim sum.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 10 months later...

But apparently there were more than a few whose experiences left much to be desired:

Pengelley Reviews

BTW, how much is £55 (price mentioned in the review) in U.S. dollars? Seems to be the price per person.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

At today's rate £55 = about US $95. Remember, though, that despite the exchange rate something that costs $1 in the US usually costs about £1 here.

I couldn't tell from the review site whether the indicated price was for 1 or for 2, with or without drinks.

Edited by Jonathan Day (log)

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

At today's rate £55 = about US $95.  Remember, though, that despite the exchange rate something that costs $1 in the US usually costs about £1 here. 

I couldn't tell from the review site whether the indicated price was for 1 or for 2, with or without drinks.

Thanks Jonathan. I supposed the price brings the topic back to a point origamicrane touched on upthread about the community from whom the cuisine originated, especially if the dishes being adapted/updated are extremely more expensive to dine-on than the original. Say for instance the $100.00 fried chicken dinner.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

There's an item in today's Standard diary: 'One couple, who found two of their dishes less than adequate, spotted Australian chef Ian Pengelley standing near the door as they left the restaurant. When he asked if their food had been alright, they explained that it hadn't been. "Oh dear," replied Pengelley. "I am sorry. I'll tell the chef".'