• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kobrick's

PPX

Is anyone familiar with this brand from Jersey City? I haven't been happy with the coffee I've been getting from Starbuck's & local markets, so I was thinking of ordering a few pounds from Kobrick's. According to the website, they sell to restaurants, but also do retail. Is there anyone here who's sipped a cuppa or has any feedback? Thanks!

I haven't dealt with them for a while - they mostly sell to commercial accounts, coffee as well as equipment. Their coffee was nothing special when I last dealt with them. There are better choices, especially on a consumer level.

Glenn is likely far too humble to just spell it out but yesterday I enjoyed the best cup of coffee Jersey City has ever offered and more is soon to come.

I was there to install and set up the coffee brewing equipment at Melt, a cafe that Glenn is opening on Jersey Ave. He did lots of research on coffee vendors and wisely settled on George Howell's Terroir Coffee

The coffee we tested with will be, if I understood correctly, the standard house coffee when he opens later this month. He'll be selling it by the pound in addition to offering a few other varietals by the pound. The bean we brewed and drank was Guatemala Huehuetanango. It tastes even better the best Guatemala Antigua's I had years back (in recent years the Antigua has sometimes been inconsistent).

There was a perfect balance of body, acidity and flavor. Even on the ride home 45 minutes later when I was sipping from a cup that had cooled off to ambient temp, there was absolutely no discernible trace of any bitterness. That is a very good cup of coffee.

On the contrary, Owen is truly the modest one. Without his expertise in the installation - and he truly is an expert, not to mention all the mostly naive questions he selflessly answered via email and phone, my goal of serving a great cup would never have come to be. Thank you thank you (in case I forgot to say it :)

I'll be retailing Terroir coffee in 12 oz. bags in the same packaging and same price that Terroir sells it for. At first I'll just be selling the same coffee as I sell in store.