• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly v. Boston

rockhopper

You may have heard about Twit Romney from Massivetwoshits dissing the cheesesteak (Rendell's superbowl bet).

So if you were Mayor or Guv of either place what would you bet?

I bet Tony Luke's roast pork italian against Santarpio's sicilian pizza (east boston).

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Clam chowder and baked beans are nice, but no match for the might of the cheesesteak, pepperpot soup, or a good roast pork sandwich.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Clam chowder and baked beans are nice, but no match for the might of the cheesesteak, pepperpot soup, or a good roast pork sandwich.

The Mighty Roast Pork with Broccoli Rabe and Aged Provolone should replace the cheesesteak as the best the City of Brotherly Sandwiches has to offer. And it pretty much kicks other sandwiches off the playing field. Now that there's a Tony Luke's in NYC I think even some of the jaded New Yorkers might back me up. :wink:

No one has mentioned soft pretzels yet either...

BTW - since Romney dissed the cheesesteaks, he and "Fast Eddie" Rendell have bet that they will have to fly the winning teams banners and sing the National anthem at a public sporting event if their team loses.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

BTW - since Romney dissed the cheesesteaks, he and "Fast Eddie" Rendell have bet that they will have to fly the winning teams banners and sing the National anthem at a public sporting event if their team loses.

Although I read that Gov. Rendell's wife who is a trained opera singer will do the honors if the Eagles lose.

I'll take a cheesesteak but lobster rolls are pretty tasty too.

Bill Russell

A hotdog from Boston Speed's would be a more worthy equivalent to a cheese steak. And I think Mitt's going bye bye next election.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

i like the pepperpot soup vs. clam chowder bet. because after all, everyone likes clam chowder, but picturing gov. squeamish sitting down in front of a big bowl of spicy tripe soup is a mental image that is making me laugh.

i think we should start a campaign to bring back pepperpot soup as a delicacy that philadelphia is known for. i know we have all done our part to put the pork sandwich ahead of the cheesesteak--this could be our next challenge.

p.s. rockhopper: massivetwoshits? now that's some good trash talkin!

I have to say, Kerry was the worst politician I've ever seen for eating the local chow. There were several priceless images of him on the campaign trail looking like someone had given him a steaming turd instead of a local favorite. Before the Iowa caucuses, someone gave him a corn dog and he looked terrified. There was the famous cheese steak incident (his advance people must have been really dim, I mean if you're going to do a cheese steak photo op, spend one minute learning how to order), the famous "having a beer with the local guys in an Ohio bar" (you could tell he was in a hurry to ditch the brew and get on the bus with the Puligny-Montrachet), and the hilarious scene of He and Thereeeeeza (or as we know her affectionately, Terry Kerry) and The Edwards celebrating Mrs. Edwards birthday at a Wendy's. Not only did Mrs Edwards look a little portly for double cheeseburgers (not a cut, just came off that way on TV), but they didn't actually eat the Wendy's stuff, just took the pictures and headed out to their bus where a local country club hat catered a fancy meal for them.

I have to go with Philadelphia over New England for chow. I mean I like chowder and lobsters and stuff, but it's not great tailgate food. Also, when the team's from "New England", what local chow are you supposed to pick? Vermont cheese? Connecticut insurance policies? New Hampshire granite?

I admit I'm biased, grew up in Northern Delaware (a south Philly suburb). Having the neighbors in tomorrow for the game and some Philadelphia health food: Italian hoagies, cheese steaks, and soft pretzels. Go Eagles!!

Romney, a first-term Republican governor, refused to accept the traditional Philadelphia sandwich in exchange for lobsters in the traditional pre-Super Bowl bet between leaders of the two states represented in the game.

"He said the cheese steak had no nutritional value," Rendell told reporters Wednesday at an event, citing that Romney was fitness-conscious.

Yeah, like lobsters drenched in butter is on the Weight Watchers menu, you sanctimonious twerp! It's a Super Bowl bet, you can go back to tofu and sprouts tomorrow! :hmmm:

p.s. rockhopper: massivetwoshits?  now that's some good trash talkin!

Seriously, I hurt myself laughing at that one. Rockhopper, i think you'd be fun to watch the game with....

But maybe we should turn this around: when the Pats lose, which they surely will, we send Romney a cheeseteak with swiss. Between the inevitable nastiness of a cheesesteak traveling more than 10 or 15 yards away from the grill, the perverse cheese and his innate revulsion at the whole idea, that should be suitable punishment.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Go Pat's!!!... but pass the roast pork sandwich with aged provolone and broccoli raab.

(I may be a New Englander and all, but I surely won't let mere birth affiliation get in the way of food!)

But sticking up for New England food, I'll also take a great lobster roll (and Maine is part of NE), NY style pizza (from New Haven) or fried clam bellies on the Mass north shore or RI...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

As an ex NH chick and fervent Pats fan I think Romney wouldn't go with the Lobster bet because every New Englander knows you don't eat Lobster with months that have "r" in them.

At least he could have come up with something local though - I like the clam bellies idea - how about oyster bellies? I miss both here in TX. :sad:

Chowda!!! Gotta be chowda.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

As I'm what appears to be the only person on this board so far who has lived in both cities, I gotta give Romney a raspberry for his cheesesteak slam. For that he deserves scrapple for breakfast and a huge bowl of pepper pot soup for dinner on general principle. It's not like clam chowder, lobster rolls, lobster with drawn butter or Vermont Cheddar cheese are low in fat and calories, after all. (Although Cabot does produce a very good 50% reduced fat Cheddar that is very close in flavor to the genuine article.)

Or maybe we should really punish him? Send him a seitan cheesesteak (Mayor John Street's favorite)!

I'm surprised nobody went with this pair:

Brigham's ice cream for Ed if the Iggles win, Tastykakes for Mitt if the Pats do. (Out of respect for their performance these past few seasons, I will refrain from calling them the Patsies.)

(Is Brigham's still in business? Or has it been bought by one of the global food conglomerates?)

And while I'm on the subject of ice cream, here's a Philly-to-Boston transplant: Breyers ice cream, born in Philadelphia in 1866. (Breyers, Sealtest and J.L. Kraft's cheese company combined in the 1920s to form what was called National Dairy Products Corp. until the late 1960s, when the company took the Kraft name.) After Unilever bought the brand from Kraft, it shut down the company's West Philadelphia factory and moved all production to Framingham, Mass.

So maybe we should make the bet all ice cream: Mitt Romney can offer Ed Rendell Breyers, and Ed can give Mitt Bassett's? (I think this trade would be a bit one-sided, though.)

Oh, BTW: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! (But if I have to hear "Fly, Eagles, Fly" one more time I think my brain will split...)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hey Dude!! I was born in Philly but have never been an Iggles fan.. LOL

I loved your Patsies comment - LMAO :biggrin:

I WISH I had Scrapple for breakfast. I also miss calling subs Hoagies. Calling that carbonated sugar drink soda. I've swapped Y'all for - rats - I can't remember - yous guys? Wahter for wooter.

Swore I'd never drop my 'rs' even though we lived 13 years in NH. When my son, who was born in NH, went to school and started dropping his 'r's I knew it was time to move.

Seriously, I think Romney didn't want to take the bet because Philly just plain ol' has better food.

humph! Patriots are still going to kick the Eagles ass!

:shock::rolleyes:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

humph!    Patriots are still going to kick the Eagles ass!

:shock:  :rolleyes:

I am pleased to report that, even though the Patriots did win, it was not a typical Super Bowl ass-whupping--the Eagles gave as good as they got (and let's face it, got some divine intervention to make up for their somewhat sloppy play in the first quarter), and vice versa.

As losses go, this one doesn't hurt all that much. Now T.O. can stay off that leg for a while so he can be in top shape for next season, which will be as good as if not better than this one.

I watched it at a friend's aunt's house, chowing down on spaghetti with meat sauce and baked chicken wings. I brought chips, but no dip, and was somewhat distracted by attempts to fix the host's personal computer throughout the game.

It was a good game. We beat the spread and actaully could have won the game had it not been for those pesky interceptions. <sigh> There's always next season...

My hosts put out a sumptuous spread of Roast turkey, Noodle kugel with Apples, Corn pudding, assorted cheeses and pates, salmon mousse (I can't stop thinking of Monty Python whenever I see salmon mousse :laugh:) and hummus and pita. Their buffet is always crowned by a big crockpot of chili. This year's recipe included cubed meat and kidney beans and had quite a smoky flavor. Very tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My hosts put out a sumptuous spread[...] Their buffet is always crowned by a big crockpot of chili.

Did your hosts send spies to my Christmas Eve gathering, or is this a case of great minds thinking alike? :wink:

My hosts put out a sumptuous spread of Roast turkey, Noodle kugel with Apples, Corn pudding, assorted cheeses and pates, salmon mousse (I can't stop thinking of Monty Python whenever I see salmon mousse :laugh:) and hummus and pita.  Their buffet is always crowned by a big crockpot of chili.  This year's recipe included cubed meat and kidney beans and had quite a smoky flavor.  Very tasty.

Man, I gotta get invited to your parties. That's a nice spread.

We had pizza, chex mix, random other things.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

p.s. rockhopper: massivetwoshits?  now that's some good trash talkin!

You should have heard the string of contumelious epithets I wove when a patriot would mockingly use the eagle wing flap. :wink:

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!