• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clarke's

I've heard Sally Clarke compared to Alice Waters and if she really is that dedicated to quality for simple and magnificent dishes, then I may have found a restaurant in london to help me feel more at home (am soon to be relocating the London from New York).  

Is she really all that?  And has anyone visited the restaurant for their newly added brunch?

Best,

Akiko

I ate at Clarke's about 5 years ago. I have no idea how she compares to Alice Walters but I wouldn't return.

Because the food was poor? No,on the contrary the meal was delicious. It's because,at dinner at least,there is NO CHOICE.

I don't know about anyone else but one of the great pleasures of dining out for me is sitting there,menu in hand,in an agony of indecision umming and ahhing, changing your mind,negotiating with your partner,trying each other's,bemoaning what you might(should) have had etc. etc.

Of course I knew there was no choice at Clarke's when I went,but I didn't realise how much I'd resent being denied one until actually put in that situation.It literally takes a whole dimension away from the restaurant experience and the fact that what we were served was lovely just didn't compensate me for that loss.

I have eaten at Clarke's but not at Chez Panisse.

Sally Clarke is an acolyte of Alice Waters and, I believe worked in the Kitchen there.

The cooking I experienced at Clarke's was indeed, as Tony says, delicious. But and it is a but as big as J Lo's ever expanding ( and if the gossips are to be believed, surgically enhanced ) butt, it is a one trick pony.  

So not much is done to the ingredients.  Fine, but with no choice, this makes it a very hit or miss experience.

S

Akiko -- The "no choice" aspect didn't particularly bother me because I reserved in advance and called early on the day of the dinner to inquire what the dishes would be. I know it's inappropriate and I wouldn't recommend it but for the lack of alternatives, but I was prepared to potentially cancel dinner on the same day, had the day's dishes sounded unsuitable for me.

The food was well-executed, although I think Chez Panisse has a history that renders it more special than Clarke's (despite the latter chef's advocacy role in the UK context). I didn't find Clarke's well-prepared meal justified my return, but that is in part because I prefer French restaurants.   :wink:

Note that, for me, the G/F area is nicer than the lower floor, although the G/F area can appear a bit cramped.

Oh!  I had no idea she set the menu for dinner and there was no choice of what you would eat.

On her website she posted a sample brunch menu and that menu seems to have some choices.

If her quality of food and preparation is good, do you think that her brunch (which gives several choices and is a simpler meal, at least in most case, with fewer courses to choose between anyways) would be good?

Sample brunch menu

http://www.sallyclarke.com/cgi-bin/sallyclarke/IntroMenu.pl

If her quality of food and preparation is good, do you think that her brunch (which gives several choices and is a simpler meal, at least in most case, with fewer courses to choose between anyways) would be good?

Akiko -- The brunch menu is not comparable to what you would experience during dinner. It consists primarily of traditional "breakfast/brunch"-type items, with also two interesting-sounding sausage dishes.  :wink: I strongly doubt one could taste the nature of Clarke's cuisine through the brunch menu.

As the April menu is indicated to be for the first brunch, it's a useful place to keep in mind, though for that limited purpose.  :wink:

When I navigated the site, though, I noticed that dinner menus are posted for all of this week!  That would also be very helpful to you, if you can secure a reservation.

http://www.sallyclarke.com/cgi-bin/sallyclarke/DinnerMenu.pl

Based on my subjective preferences, Wednesday's dinner appears interesting, with wild sea trout in the appetizer and guinea fowl in the main.

Based on my subjective preferences, Wednesday's dinner appears interesting, with wild sea trout in the appetizer and guinea fowl in the main.

I wonder where she sources her sea trout. They are very scarce these days, and I gather if you are fishing in Ireland and catch one, you are obliged by law to put it back.

Adam

I wonder where she sources her sea trout. They are very scarce these days ...

Adam -- I was wondering the same thing, given Clarke's emphasis on sourcing from quality suppliers. The described poaching preparation of the sea trout should allow its flavors to come through.  :wink:

I have eaten at Clarke's - albeit some time ago - and my memory was of a really fabulous meal. I was a guest so don't know what it cost. Last summer we ate at Chez Panisse and I was really disappointed.  It was one of the rare occasions when I looked at the menu and nothing, absolutely nothing, appealed to me. Normally I have a major problem deciding what to choose - especially starters.  There's not much point in having choice in that instance.  The meal we had was okay but not cheap.  I wouldn't go back in a hurry but I would be back at Clarke's like a shot if dining in that part of London.

I wonder where she sources her sea trout. They are very scarce these days, and I gather if you are fishing in Ireland and catch one, you are obliged by law to put it back.

Adam

Adam - Sea-trout (Salmon-trout, Sewin) are relatively common on the east coast of Scotland, at least when they are comming up river. For some strange reson they are also very cheap in season (maybe as low as 5-7 quid a kilo). They are utterly delicious, better texture then even wild Salmon (flakes of flesh a bit more fine then Salmon). I have had the privelage to watch them leap up water falls (they look more reddish then the Salmon), which is quite something to see only 45 minutes of so from Edinburgh.

Akiko-I ate there about 5 years ago as well. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. I think there are better places in London to eat. But if you do eat there, I am sure you will have a good meal. As for the limited menu, I recall 2 choices for each course. But I might be dreaming. What I like better than her restuarant is her food shop just next door. They have the absolute best of everything there. There is always a round of gorgeous brie cheese on display that is perfectly ripe. I have often found myself walking down Kensignton Church Road chomping on a small tranch of it. Good chocolate truffles as well if I recall. And they sell my favorite olive oil there. Alziari from Nice   :smile:

Fish names can be confusing. Last night my commercial-fisherman friend made me some delicious blackened weakfish, which is also known here in NY as sea trout. They fish the coastal waters out of Montauk, so it's not the same fish. Anyone known if there's a North American equivalent to your sea trout?

Nice thing about eating with fishermen: the fish was swimming just 3 hours before it was on our plates.

Blondie

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

The fish I am thinking of is a member of the Salmon/trout group, (currently Salmo trutta). Basically, it is a Brown trout that acts like a Salmon and lives part of its lifecycle in salt water.

http://www.wild-trout.co.uk/atlantic.htm

Weakfish/Sea trout seem to be a differnt type of fish (do they taste like salmon?):

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/weakfish.cfm

Sorry for taking this thread off topic again

:sad: .

Sorry for taking this thread off topic again

:sad: .

Adam -- I for one welcome it.  :wink:

I am quite interested in sea trout references. I saw sea trout on the Rhodes in the Square menu yesterday (see unlinked thread on that restaurant), and almost ordered it. I would go to Clarke's for the sea trout alone (leaving aside the nice-sounding guinea fowl), but for some personal obligations today.