• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairing food to wine - Need Help!

sadistick

First and foremost, thanks for stopping by...on to the matter at hand! My family is planning on doing what we call a 'killer dinner' for my grandmother's 80th... we do this every now and then, where both uncles, my cousin and I, will all bring one nice bottle of wine, and we all contribute to a tantalizing treat for everyone's tastebuds, and cook some good food, which will compliment the wines...

So far we have decided on 2 of the wines we plan on opening, and only a few courses have been planned, so I would ask for all your suggestions, as to your favourite dishes to prepare to go along with a nice bottle of wine

The dishes we have planned so far are...

Charred marrinated baby squid, with nice evoo, flur de sel and lemon added at the end

Artichoke Risotto

Wood oven smoked tomatoe bisque

The 2 wines we know of....

1985 Chateau Margaux

1964 Chateau Beychevelle

Thinking of making some sliced filet with a truffle reduction...but one of my uncles doesnt eat meat, so that is still undecided.

Thanks in advance for any ideas which may come to mind...

Cheers,

-Justin

No, no. Thank you for stopping by. :smile:

Before getting into the nitty-gritty of your post, I'd like to request a favor. Please report back on the 1985 Margaux. I have one of these, and I'm curious to see how it's doing.

The Bordeaux wines you've picked should go well with your beef course provided the truffle sauce isn't too perfumed and overpowering. For the non-meat eating uncle, a roasted root vegetable and mushroom ragout seems like it would go nicely.

For those earlier dishes, I like bubbles or riesling with the squid, Coca-Cola with the risotto (okay, a joke, but artichokes are tough on wine pairing). And I don't like pairing wine with soup.

I'm sure others will add to this.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

With the squid: Agree with bubbly or riesling, Alsace Pinot Gris might be nice as well.

With the artichoke risotto: Vouvray, perhaps, depending on the cheese level, wouldn't go Vouvray if you're using a lot of Parmesan, would probably look more towards a nice soft Pinot Noir. So, almost all artchoke flavor in the risotto, Vouvray, more cheese, Pinot Noir.

With the tomato bisque: Beaujolais, the 2003 vintage is great, there are a lot of really good ones in the stores now. I also think beaujolais might go well with the artichoke risotto.

Meat and mushroom sounds good for the bordeaux, please let us know how they are.

An additional nice thing for a vegetarian with big red wine is some good swiss Raclette cheese which is served melted and bubbling with crusty bread, roasted red potatoes, and gherkins.

Have fun, wish Grandma a happy birtday for us.

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies...

Brad: Will do, we are planning this dinner in late Feb, so there is still some time to wait, but I will get back to you with comments regarding the Margaux promptly.

Good point on the truffel sauce, what I am thinking to make it not too strong, is to just do a nice pan jus reduction after searing the steak, and maybe add either some truffle shavings (if i can get some) or some oil, which I haev, near the end.

I was thinking a nice reisling with the soup actually, possibly that can extend to the squid course as well...

DT: You make some good points...I cant recall for certainty, however, I dont believe we will use parm with the Artichoke risotto, if we do use cheese, it will probably a pecorino, and maybe some scamotza (SP)

As well, I forgot to mention, but you remind me, we will definetly be having a cheese course near the end...so I have got that covered :)

Thanks for the wishes

I will let you know how things go...keep those ideas coming!

Cheers,

-Justin

I'd suggest dry New World Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc to go with the squid. Something with good vibrant acidity e.g. Australian Clare Valley, or New Zealand Marlborough. These would probably be OK with the soup also. From the US, I've liked 'Dr. L', Loosen's collaboration to produce Washington Riesling.

Old world suggestion- go for sherry! Top quality fino or amontillado are cheap compared to regular table wines, and would serve as a nice appetizer that would work very well with the squid and probably ok with soup.