• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breadline Tsunami Relief Benefit

tomdc

Did anyone go the the Breadline benefit for Sri Lankan relief efforts last night.  Was wondering how good the food was.

The food was amazing, and the atmosphere intimate and welcoming. Ambassador Devinda Subasinghe of Sri Lanka was there, and Mark Furstenburg deserves special recognition for having organized this.

The participating restaurants went to great time and expense to put on this event, and should all be rewarded with your future business. In particular, the following chefs who took time away from their businesses to actually attend the event should be recognized and applauded (in alphabetical order; please contact me and let me know who I'm forgetting so I can add them):

Jose Andres - Minibar, Cafe Atlantico, Jaleo, Oyamel, Zaytinya

Cathal Armstrong - Restaurant Eve

Chandra - Spice Lanka

Mark Furstenburg - Breadline

Todd Gray - Equinox

Ris Lacoste - 1789

Cesare Lanfranconi - Tosca

Susan Lindebourg - Majestic Cafe

Kazuhiro Okochi - Kaz Sushi Bistro

Jim Swenson - National Press Club

Jeff Tunks - DC Coast, Ceiba, Ten Penh

Bryan Voltaggio - Charlie Palmer

Robert Weidemeier - Marcel's

Larry Work - Caucus Room, Sam & Harry's

You know, charity events such as this have become almost obligatory for high-powered chefs to attend, but there was a palpable feeling of philanthropy and community last night, and I was genuinely moved by these great individuals having joined each other under one roof to support this noble and important cause.

It matters, and it matters a lot.

Rocks.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

While I recognize most of the Chefs' names on this list - could anyone fill in the restaurants with the corresponding names.

Maybe I'm not as big a restaurant geek as I thought I was.

Bill Russell

What did they prepare and how did it work in that space?

There was lots of pre-prep and transportation, many of the dishes being cold or needing only simple heating, and each restaurant having their own little table. Pretty much anything you could want was there: dips from Oyamel, empanadas from Ceiba, raw bar from Colvin Run, smoked salmon from Restaurant Eve, leek tarts from Citronelle, curried soup from Majestic Cafe, wonderful shortribs from Equinox, delicious cold veal from Galileo, superb sliced veal cheeks from Charlie Palmer, the terrific lychee-grappa panna cotta from Maestro, free-flowing wine. At one point, Cesare called out "the risotto is ready!" and stood by the huge pot spooning out his unearthly mushroom risotto. Even without the charity aspect, this event would have been worth it for $75, although I suspect most people gave a bit more than the minimum suggested donation.

I guess I should add that it seemed distressingly uncrowded, probably due to the early dusting of snow and pre-6:30 parking situation, although I'm hopeful that it picked up after I left (parties tend to do that :hmmm:).