• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Béchamel

lexy

I thinking of making a double batch of béchamel sauce, and freezing half of it for convenience. I'm not too worried about food safety (milk and butter freeze safely, and I'd be using it within a few weeks of freezing anyway), but I'm wondering if the freezing would alter the texture/taste/composition of the sauce. Can anyone help me out?

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Why make a double batch? Depending on what you are using it for the final sauce doesn't take more than 10 minutes anyhow. I always just make enough.

If I am cooking for an event I might make several batches over several days, but always make up a fresh batch. Just not worth worrying about.

Never trust a skinny chef

I have frozen cheese sauce based on bechamel before. It was an experiment at work. The frozen sauce must be reheated gently and whisked frequently to prevent scorching. It will split a little but with care should come back together okay. I say freeze it and see what you think, but be prepared to make fresh if it picked up off-flavors or resists coming back together when you defrost.

Why make a double batch?

I'm making some this weekend anyway, and since I'm going away next week, I have some extra milk to use up before I go, so I've been thinking of things I might use it in and then freeze.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda